Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 16:28   #1
jeffz

Help a Newbie choose...

Brand new here. I am in the process of getting my CWP and am about to purchase my first gun/Glock. It will be dual purpose for me... Carry and Home. I have had the opportunity to try a few and I'm sold on the G30. As I've been doing a lot of research I'm a little stuck on my final decision and have a few other questions.
Do I just pick up the 30SF?
Wait to get a 30S?
Wait to try the 40 Gen4?

I guess the only thing I question is will the 30S be much easier for me to conceal? I am anxious to go get one, but don't want to end up not carrying it due to the width of the barrel since that's what I'm buying it for...Since this is my first, I'm just not as familar with all the carry options yet.

Any advice would be helpful.
2 more questions...
how much should I expect to pay? The local dealer has about 10 30SF's in stock, but I was told they raised their prices recently. I'm not too concerned with paying a bit more, just don't want to get ripped off.
I do want the Glock night sights, should I be able to buy it with them or is that something I would have to buy separate and install?
The local gun shop I went to was soooo busy right now, I disnt feel right about taking up too much time with a bazillion people in line waiting to buy ammo!

Thanks
Jeff
jeffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:49   #2
xy9142

I would go handle all of your choices. See how they feel. If possible rent them and shoot them all. Prices have gone up....I just paid 579 for a 36 and a 27 Gen4. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xy9142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:57   #3
Kentguy

jeffz..."It will be dual purpose for me... Carry and Home."
That kinda covers quite a bit of ground. At home just about anything is going to work but when you "conceal carry" it means just that. You have to be able to comfortably and privately carry your weapon. The type of clothing you ware matters, what type of holster you carry your weapon in matter as well.

Because of their type of work some folks can carry a full sized G21, others have to go Subcompact and be creative about that.

These are just some thoughts you are going to have to think through before you buy your Glock.

I own a G21 but that is not what I carry, however my opinion is that you can't go wrong with the G30s, that will do double duty very nicely IMHO.
Old 01-27-2013, 18:58   #4
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Unfortunately it's probably going to be a while before you see a 30S on dealer shelves. My LE dealer just told me to hang onto my deposit, he was looking at about a year before he could get them.
Old 01-27-2013, 19:26   #5
jeffz

Ok. I guess it could be awhile before I might see the S or Gen 4. I have been convinced that waiting for the perfect one is a bad idea. Guess its not that perfect if I'm walking around without it cause I can't make a decision!

So... When I go to get it. Say they have 5 "maybe more" of the 30SF. Should I look at all of them for anything in particular before just taking the first one he hands me? I will not be able to shoot them first. Anything special as far as serials or is a 30SF a 30SF???
Old 01-27-2013, 21:45   #6
F106 Fan

I would think the thinner slide of the G36 would be easier to conceal. I looked at both the G30 and G36 and thought that if I were to buy another Glock, it would probably be the G36.

I'm not terribly hung up on magazine capacity. Six + 1 would work for me if the G36 were easier to conceal.

In the meantime, I have a G21SF and it conceals about as well as a bazooka.

Richard
Old 01-27-2013, 22:01   #7
John_NJ

You are going to wait a long time and/or overpay for the 30S. I would go with the SF.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:08   #8
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
Brand new here. I am in the process of getting my CWP and am about to purchase my first gun/Glock. It will be dual purpose for me... Carry and Home. I have had the opportunity to try a few and I'm sold on the G30. As I've been doing a lot of research I'm a little stuck on my final decision and have a few other questions.
Do I just pick up the 30SF?
Wait to get a 30S?
Wait to try the 40 Gen4?

I guess the only thing I question is will the 30S be much easier for me to conceal? I am anxious to go get one, but don't want to end up not carrying it due to the width of the barrel since that's what I'm buying it for...Since this is my first, I'm just not as familar with all the carry options yet.

Any advice would be helpful.
2 more questions...
how much should I expect to pay? The local dealer has about 10 30SF's in stock, but I was told they raised their prices recently. I'm not too concerned with paying a bit more, just don't want to get ripped off.
I do want the Glock night sights, should I be able to buy it with them or is that something I would have to buy separate and install?
The local gun shop I went to was soooo busy right now, I disnt feel right about taking up too much time with a bazillion people in line waiting to buy ammo!

Thanks
Jeff
Sounds to me like if you know it's going to be a Glock then maybe the G19 is your huckleberry. That gun is a good compromise between CC and home defense. It was the first Glock for me and probably the the best choice for me. I was used to carrying a steel-framed gun so the G19 is a breeze to tote all day.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:15   #9
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
So... When I go to get it. Say they have 5 "maybe more" of the 30SF. Should I look at all of them for anything in particular before just taking the first one he hands me? I will not be able to shoot them first. Anything special as far as serials or is a 30SF a 30SF???
Hello jeffz, welcome to Glock Talk.

I tend to go for the most recently manufactured pistol if given a choice on the theory it has the latest revisions from Glock. From the Glock Serial Number Research Project database, the latest entry for a G-30SF is serial number TVZ*** with a Test Fire Date of 2012-10-29. If you have the choice of more than one pistol, you can look for one in that range or after.

Take a look at the information about the G30 at the link in my signature line below. It should save you a lot of time in learning more about the Glock 30/30SF for CCW and home defense. There is some comparison info about the G30S and G19 at that link too. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by GRT45; 01-28-2013 at 18:58..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08   #10
Bruce M

Might be an idea to try shooting one first. A 9mm might be a better choice for a first gun based on ammunition costs. I prefer the G26 for concealment but I admit as a one size fits all pistol the Glock 19 is a great choice for multiple roles. The Glock 30, about the same size as the G19 is a good choice too, just a bit thicker and more expensive ammunition wise.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09   #11
ADK_40GLKr

I found 30 too bulky.

Back when I was planning to trade in my 1st Glock - G22 LE trade-in, I looked at a used G30, shot it a few times, and put a down payment on it.

Then went home and compared weight and dimensions with other models in an on-line Glock Armorers Manual.

I went back to my LGS and ordered a new g27 instead. It seemed lighter and less bulky than the 30.

30SF will have a smaller grip, but frame width should be the same as a 30
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29   #12
sstecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
Sounds to me like if you know it's going to be a Glock then maybe the G19 is your huckleberry. That gun is a good compromise between CC and home defense. It was the first Glock for me and probably the the best choice for me. I was used to carrying a steel-framed gun so the G19 is a breeze to tote all day.
Agree with this.

My G21 is by far my favorite gun, but my G19 is the one that gets carried (and therefore practiced with the most). Its really hard to argue with a gun that holds 15+1 of premium 9mm ammo. The new Gen 4's shoot like a 22 so very quick and accurate follow-up shots are a breeze.
sstecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 13:00   #13
onearmsteve

i love my G26 and very easy to conseal and a dream to shoot but out of your choices i would have to go with the G27 and look at tru-glo TFO sights and see if you like them
onearmsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:21   #14
jeffz

I did get to shoot a 27 and did pretty well with it, but I do like the feel of the 30 better in my hand. I also really, really like the idea of the .45 cal. I'm not as concerned with the cost of ammo, more with getting what feels right. The 30sf feels right to me, but I do realize there is quite a size difference between the 26/27 and the 30.

Guess what I really need to know is... Can I conceal the 30sf?

I typically wear shorts or jeans and a t shirt untucked
At work a tucked in button up.

Don't want to start a big debate, but for those who do carry this gun, what are some good options for concealed carry holsters. i am 5'7" and weigh 185.
I could use a few good suggestions for a good SD ammo.

Again, I realize there are a lot of options and opinions for both of these, I just don't even know where to start.
Old 01-28-2013, 14:58   #15
ADK_40GLKr

I'm about your size. Crossbreed Supertuck nicely conceals my G27. Forward cant at about 3:00 & (gun) butt disappears into the "inches I pinches".
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:26   #16
HGxyz

I have a G30sf. It's a very nice shooting gun, but isn't usually what I carry. I'll carry it in the winter when I'm wearing bulky clothes and I'm not going to be out very long (along with being harder to conceal it's heavy). I much prefer the sub compacts - G26 or G33 (I personally don't like my G27 that much). The compacts - G19, 23, 32 - are about the same length and thinner than the G30sf, but with the 9 round mags, the grip length is a little shorter on the G30sf, so it can be easier to conceal in some situations.
HGxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:24   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
I did get to shoot a 27 and did pretty well with it, but I do like the feel of the 30 better in my hand. I also really, really like the idea of the .45 cal. I'm not as concerned with the cost of ammo, more with getting what feels right. The 30sf feels right to me, but I do realize there is quite a size difference between the 26/27 and the 30.

Guess what I really need to know is... Can I conceal the 30sf?

I typically wear shorts or jeans and a t shirt untucked
At work a tucked in button up.

Don't want to start a big debate, but for those who do carry this gun, what are some good options for concealed carry holsters. i am 5'7" and weigh 185.
I could use a few good suggestions for a good SD ammo.

Again, I realize there are a lot of options and opinions for both of these, I just don't even know where to start.
Hi! You, sure do, ask a lot of questions! I'll try to help. I'm a big guy. 240#'s, almost 6' tall, and my EDC for more than 8 years was a 3rd gen. G-21. Personally, I had no trouble concealing a full-size G-21 under my shirt. (I've even had people hug and touch me, and still not realize that I was carrying!)

At 185#, and dressed in lightweight casual clothing I'm not so sure that it going to be as easy for you to conceal a wide-body G-30 as it is for me to hide a G-21. Going through your questions I can give you some general guidelines to follow, though:

1. The holster is going to have to be an ITB/IWB design.

2. You're going to need an honest-to-goodness 1 1/2" GUN BELT in order to carry that G-30(SF).

3. You'll need to learn how to, 'dress around the gun'. (All of my cover shirts and jackets are a size larger.)

4. Other than Glock's current batch of really crappy extractors there is nothing wrong with a 3rd generation pistol. In fact I'm one of those people who will NOT own a Gen4 gun.

5. Personally, I would encourage you to forget about the factory night sights, pay less for the gun, and then get your local armorer to order and install a superior set of AmeriGlo, 'Hackathorn' day/night sights for you. Contrary to popular opinion you do NOT want a brightly glowing night sight on the front of your gun!

(Anyone who doesn't agree with me should take a look at Heinie's very expensive night sights. THE LAMPS ARE SMALL. Richard Heinie clearly knew what he was doing when he designed his world-famous night sights!)

6. Personally, I've never purchased a new Glock that I didn't have some sort of problem with. Me? The last Glock I bought I took apart in the store and examined each piece before the paperwork was started. (And still I ended up with a Glock that had a fakakta extractor in it!)

Work the slide. Does it move smoothly? Push down on the top of the barrel hood. Does it move down too deeply into the slide? Release the magazine and reinsert it a few times. Does it catch and lock up nice 'n tight? Do the magazines release smoothly and (mostly) drop free, too?

Read up on how a Glock's slide components work; and perform the standard striker and striker safety tests. (These tests are in the Owner's Manual, or can be found on-line.)

Look at each of the four slide rails. Are they, all, the same size and height? Do you see any cracks in the frame or excess polymer, 'flashing' around any of the metal inserts? This is about as much as I can think of to tell you how to check out a new Glock. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than I usually do!

I like the G-30 very much; but I'm, also, a little surprised that you haven't said anything about everybody's favorite EDC Glock: The G-19. If the world were still a better place; if people were as caring and law abiding as they used to be when I was growing up, well ....... I'd probably still be carrying a six shot S&W revolver.

Today, however, the world is much more violent than it used to be; people-in-general are more godless, more desperate, more hard-pressed, and even the politicians are a lot more self-serving, disinterested, and dishonest than they used to be, too. Consequently, MAGAZINE CAPACITY CAN MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE . I'd rather have 17 rounds in the pistol and another 30 on my belt than the 6 + 6 rounds I used to carry when the world was still a safer, 'better place'.

If I were starting out, again; and I had only one gun with which to, 'cover all the bases' my own choice would be for a G-19; but, hey, that's what, 'makes the world go around.'
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:31   #18
kaech

1st gun..get the G19! Imo the best glock and wAy cheaper to shoot vs a .45
Old 01-28-2013, 18:53   #19
Willfulone
CCA Corvette

Get a G19 and put a hot load in it...

That will do you must fine until you can get a G21 to keep at
home

Just my opinion ...

Will
Willfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:04   #20
97harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willfulone View Post
Get a G19 and put a hot load in it...

That will do you must fine until you can get a G21 to keep at
home

Just my opinion ...

Will
Funny, I have that combo and I"m a 1911 fan
97harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:02   #21
BMiracletx

Get the G19! 15+1 of 124 +P Speer Gold Dots with a Glock 17 17-round mag as backup is alot of shooting.

The Glock 19 is about THE most popular all around everyday carry/homedefense/range gun. It would be a great first gun or only gun.

You posted on this forum for advice... lots of people are saying get a 19. Experience speaks wonders. Nothing wrong with a 30sf... but it sounds like you might be better served with a 19.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:29   #22
jeffz

Ok. You guys have really been great. Went back to the store to look at the other options. The very best feeling gun in my hand was the 23 (and 19) since they're the same size. I have decided 1 glock will lot be enough
Leaning toward the 23 over the 19. Any reason I should stick w/ 9mm over .40? Not concerned with ammo cost.
Also, thy had gen 3's and 4's. decent prices. I've seen a lot of people talking about issues with the gen 4's (extractors... Dipped..., bad mags...)? I have no idea what I should be looking at.
Advice?
Old 02-04-2013, 19:30   #23
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Ok. You guys have really been great. Went back to the store to look at the other options. The very best feeling gun in my hand was the 23 (and 19) since they're the same size. I have decided 1 glock will not (Ed.) be enough
Leaning toward the 23 over the 19. Any reason I should stick w/ 9mm over .40? Not concerned with ammo cost.
Also, thy had gen 3's and 4's. decent prices. I've seen a lot of people talking about issues with the gen 4's (extractors... Dipped..., bad mags...)? I have no idea what I should be looking at. Advice?
We're too good to ya!

A 40 is a tough gun to learn on; and it's a lot more expensive to shoot either frequently or a lot. Personally, I carry either a G-21, or a G-19; and I love 'um both!

I scored at Wal-Mart, tonight! For the first time in more than 2 months they finally had Federal, 'Champion' 9mm range ammo in stock; and I picked up 6 boxes! I wish I could say that I'm not concerned about ammo cost; but I shoot way too much not to be. (Almost $80.00, but what are ya going to do? At least 100 rounds will be gone by Wednesday morning!)

Personally, I prefer the 3rd generation pistols over the 4th generation. As for, 'extractor issues'? It don't matter which generation you get. ALL of Glock's crappy new extractors don't work as well as they used to. Bad mags? Haven't heard that one before. All I do is install all new Wolff Gunsprings and throw the factory springs away - Works for me!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:28   #24
jeffz

Thanks Arc Angel, I sincerely value all the advice!

Just to clarify as I don't want to sound like money is not an object for me... When I said " I'm not concerned about ammo cost" what I really meant to say was... I'm looking at this as an investment, I care more about having the best possible option and I'm willing to pay a bit more for ammo if the .40 is that choice.
Anyone else have opinions on going with a gen3 or gen4 and 19 vs 23?
Old 02-04-2013, 22:46   #25
Armedleprechaun

Get the 19. With a good defense round, 9mm will serve you well. You can always get the 23 later. Happy hunting.