Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 22:02   #1
Reagan40

.450 bushmaster vs. 6.8 spc

If anyone has experience with these calibres, please help me decide. I plan to reload, so ammo availability is not a great concern. I want to use this for deer hunting. Currently using .44 magnum from a lever action. I want to move to an AR platform and extend my range a bit. I know they are impossible to find right now. I am hoping things settle down by the fall.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — are not facing any kind of financial crisis." Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, in response to Bush Administration proposals for a bank-like regulator for Fannie and Freddie, NY Times '03

Last edited by Reagan40; 02-15-2013 at 13:46.. Reason: typo
Reagan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38   #2
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan40 View Post
If anyone has experience with these calibres, please help me decide. I plan to reload, so ammo availability is not a great concern. I want to use this for deer hunting. Currently using .45 magnum from a lever action. I want to move to an AR platform and extend my range a bit. I know they are impossible to find right now. I am hoping things settle down by the fall.

If you are going to start reloading for those big calibers, I'd go with an RCBS single stage reloader.
Old 02-15-2013, 13:47   #3
Reagan40

I already have a couple of presses. I reload other calibers already. I will just have to buy the dies. My question is really about the calibers themselves. What are the characteristics, which would you choose and why?
"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — are not facing any kind of financial crisis." Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, in response to Bush Administration proposals for a bank-like regulator for Fannie and Freddie, NY Times '03
Reagan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 14:02   #4
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Let's start with range, at what range will you be shooting? I have a 6.8 and it's perfect for the ranges that I shoot at, love it's incredibly low recoil, and it'll take anything down in my state with extreme discrimination.
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 14:09   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

@ 100 yards & under the .450 has thump, 6.8 much flatter over distance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 14:16   #6
Orkinmna903

Send a message via AIM to Orkinmna903 Send a message via Yahoo to Orkinmna903
Try closer to 200 with the bushmaster. Also if you know your 45/70 ballistics you can use them to get real close walking the 450 out. I've only had mine out to 500 yds. You can do it using the reticle in a Burris full-field II

Old 02-16-2013, 00:03   #7
PghJim

I shoot the 458 SOCOM (Very Similar to 450 B) and it is good to about 150 yards, with a lot of drop at that distance. For pigs, black bear or even dangerous game I may consider it. For deer I would definately go with the 6.8. You could probably stretch it to 300 yards and with the right bullet it will be great for any deer. I have the Stag 7, but unfortunately we cannot use it to hunt deer in PA.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46   #8
SCmasterblaster

Have you decided on a reloader yet?