SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2013, 17:13   #41
got_metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteach View Post
I got 1000 rounds of this stuf. It was so inaccurate at 100 yds and the jacket kept fragmenting I had to quit shooting it. I also had one bullet take out a piece of my AK74 compensator. I tried to call SGAmmo and it goes to answering machine first ring. I left a message and also several emails, nothing yet. I am not sure this is OK to shoot.
Which brand? Golden Tiger or the demilled stuff? If it's GT you can contact them directly as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and will refund your money for the unused ammo you have left when you send it back to them. At least that's what their website claims.

If it's the demilled stuff you're probably SOL unless SGAmmo will do something about it, which I doubt.

ETA: According to their site, SGAmmo does take returns on defective merchandise. Not sure if that applies to demilled ammo made in the 70's. If it's GT they should help you out.

Last edited by got_metal; 04-05-2013 at 09:05..
got_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 16:21   #42
hammerkill

With all due respect why didn't any of you knuckleheads buy this stuff when it was cheap and plentiful? I remember buying 1000 rounds at SG for 199.00 just a few years ago.
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 17:25   #43
wlst101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerkill View Post
With all due respect why didn't any of you knuckleheads buy this stuff when it was cheap and plentiful? I remember buying 1000 rounds at SG for 199.00 just a few years ago.
I can only speak for myself saying I wasnt into AK's back then. Started collecting AK parts just before the shooting.
wlst101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 17:40   #44
brausso

Quote:
Your post brought a lot of value to this thread. Much appreciated.
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 19:33   #45
hammerkill

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 20:26   #46
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Well, I for one did. But then you shoot it and need to buy more. Just because you bought it in the past doesn't mean you won't need it still.

I've got about 1200 rounds left right now but I won't shoot any of it until I can buy more.

when I'm down to 1000-1200 rounds of ammo in a particular caliber I consider myself to be out.

For that matter, I'm also out of 9x19. I've got around 800 rounds, but it's even more scarce than 7.62x39 in my area so I'm not firing a round.

I'll probably be doing more fishing then shooting this summer.

Last edited by captainstormy; 04-16-2013 at 20:27..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37   #47
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Well, I for one did. But then you shoot it and need to buy more. Just because you bought it in the past doesn't mean you won't need it still.

I've got about 1200 rounds left right now but I won't shoot any of it until I can buy more.

when I'm down to 1000-1200 rounds of ammo in a particular caliber I consider myself to be out.

For that matter, I'm also out of 9x19. I've got around 800 rounds, but it's even more scarce than 7.62x39 in my area so I'm not firing a round.

I'll probably be doing more fishing then shooting this summer.
This. Although I don't fish I run.

You are reading the exploits of a dedicated "ammo finder." You can find 7.62 if you want to buy wolf or tula...but get ready to pay 2 or even 3 times what this ammo went for last November.

9mm...good luck. Finding 9 mm target ammo at anything which resembles a decent price is like finding a unicorn eating a field of 4 leaf clovers. $600 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm Tula? $500 for CCI Blaser (I bought 5,000 rounds when Palmetto had it at $189/1,000 in October or November).
Old 04-17-2013, 13:15   #48
cowboy1964

Quote:
Great. Give me $10,000 next time ammo is plentiful so I can stock up.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 14:00   #49
hammerkill

Here is some free advice for you young whippersnappers. You start with a minimum amount that you must have on hand. A good amout is 10,000 rounds per caliber. Then anything above that is shooting ammo. To get to the 10,000 mark WAS to start buying a case every month or two. If things die down I strongly recommend you learn from your past mistakes and stock up like there is no tommorrow or we will be having the same conversation and you will still be cussing me. Listen to your elders.

Old 04-22-2013, 13:25   #50
tadbart
duuuuude.

60 cases of wolf x39 at ammoman,com for 375 shipped.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:43   #51
JBL13

The thing that has kept my attention on the subject of imported ammo is what might happen regarding the small arms treaty and the Big O's apparent ability to unilaterally stop the importing of firearms and ammo. Regardless of whether or not the treaty will actually make a material difference to our rights or our ability to procure foreign-made ammo, it seems to me that O could shut off that spigot at any time, unless I'm missing something. To that end, I've bought out two recent shipments of 7.62x39 at a LGS (they don't impose any purchasing limits, and I get notified when they take delivery of this caliber). I figure I'm set, but I won't be doing a lot of plinking with this caliber unless/until there's some positive clarity on the prospect of future availability.
JBL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42   #52
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL13 View Post
The thing that has kept my attention on the subject of imported ammo is what might happen regarding the small arms treaty and the Big O's apparent ability to unilaterally stop the importing of firearms and ammo. Regardless of whether or not the treaty will actually make a material difference to our rights or our ability to procure foreign-made ammo, it seems to me that O could shut off that spigot at any time, unless I'm missing something. To that end, I've bought out two recent shipments of 7.62x39 at a LGS (they don't impose any purchasing limits, and I get notified when they take delivery of this caliber). I figure I'm set, but I won't be doing a lot of plinking with this caliber unless/until there's some positive clarity on the prospect of future availability.
I would like to think there is some ammunition manufacturer out there who would see this as an opportunity.

If cheaper foreign made disappeared tomorrow there would be a very large market for a domestic brass cased producer to come out with something. Based on the whole animal thing maybe they call it Golden Eagle or something similar.

I often wondered if a small shop would survive on just 1-2 calibers; of course the problem right now is components

Last edited by pugman; 04-23-2013 at 11:43..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:24   #53
SilverCity

Here Comes The Imported Ammo Ban

nope...

Last edited by SilverCity; 04-23-2013 at 21:09..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26   #54
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
It's certainly possible that Obama, or any future president could ban imported ammo or firearms from any, or all countries. It's already been done with China.

However, I'd be willing to venture that if no 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, etc you would start seeing domestic production skyrocket to fill demand. It might not ever get to be as low of a price as the imported stuff, but I'd bet it would be much cheaper then the domestic stuff is made now.

It's possible to make/buy brass cased 7.62x39 ammo fairly cheap. I used to buy brass cased Fiocchi 7.62x39 before I found a range that I could use steel cased ammo in. It was only about 5-8 cents more per round than wolf at the time.

I'm not going to say I'm not concerned about the ammo supply long run. If it happened I think things would get rough for around 8-12 months at least but I'm sure some ammo company would love to fill the void and make a pile of money feeding all of those AK, SKS and Mini 14 rifles that are in the country.

There isn't much domestic production of the soviet calibers right now. What little there is are mainly used by people for hunting from Mini 14s. I don't think I've ever seen anyone load up an AK mag with Winchester or Federal 7.62x39 ammo.

Last edited by captainstormy; 04-24-2013 at 06:29..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59   #55
triggerjerk

Yesterday Obama gave the Attorney General authority to regulate the importation of "Defense Articles". This is your import ban should Holder decide to prohibit importation of an item characterized as a "Defense Article".

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-09392.pdf

For a list of what constitutes "Defense Articles" go here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec447-21.pdf

Last edited by triggerjerk; 04-24-2013 at 09:13..
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52   #56
JBL13

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Yesterday Obama gave the Attorney General authority to regulate the importation of "Defense Articles". This is your import ban should Holder decide to prohibit importation of an item characterized as a "Defense Article".

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-09392.pdf

For a list of what constitutes "Defense Articles" go here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec447-21.pdf
Thanks for passing this along.
JBL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 18:52   #57
wlst101

SGAmmo has GoldenTiger for $271/1000k shipped....
Old 06-09-2013, 21:21   #58
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlst101 View Post
SGAmmo has GoldenTiger for $271/1000k shipped....
Thanks for the heads up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 21:46   #59
wlst101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
No problem. Anytime I catch them in stock I post it.