GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2013, 21:47   #1
MSims

New to AK platform... Is this price worth it?

Yugo M70 AB2 Underfold AK-47 Rifle - 7.62x39 caliber is this worth $910 shipped to my FFL?

The Kalashnikov Klub
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 22:13   #2
HWI

Not in my opinion. I would not pay $910 for any underfolder unless it was some sort of rare collectible. Even as nice as the Yugos are I would not pay that much for one, but that's just my opinion.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 22:24   #3
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Not in my opinion. I would not pay $910 for any underfolder unless it was some sort of rare collectible. Even as nice as the Yugos are I would not pay that much for one, but that's just my opinion.
What would you pay?
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 22:27   #4
HWI

Hard to say in the current climate. The problem is that I remember when these could be had for $450 or less, so that taints my view of their worth. It also doesn't help that all the AKs I own are triangle/poly sidefolders, which I far prefer over underfolders.

I am sure some others can give you some better insight into what a good buying price would be on them in the current market.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 00:03   #5
byaah_19

Before all the craziness my local gun shop had one for $700 plus tax. Like HWI said I would not pay that for an under folder. They are really good AKs though, just not $910 good in my opinion.
byaah_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35   #6
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
You guys really ought to keep current markets in mind when your trying to give someone advice about rather something is worth a price in the current market.

Would that be worth $900 a few years ago? Not a chance. These days, that's probably a good price. Even now with prices coming down I see WASRs sell for 750-800 all day long.

Alot of people don't like under folding stocks, some do. I've never used one so I can't really talk either way. The Yugo's are good guns though and in today's market I'd say your not going to find it for much if any less than that.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19   #7
Daltini

Well you it depends of you look at it by today or yesterdays standards, or what you think tomorrow is going to look like.
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37   #8
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

A year ago, that was about a $600 gun. But it's not a year ago now. I wouldn't pick it as an investment, but in today's real world, that's the going price for it.

Bottom line, would you rather have an AK now, or not have an AK because you wanted to keep a couple hundred dollars somewhere else?

I have a sidefolder, an underfolder, and a straight stock, and I like them all in about that order. The underfolder is more compact to carry discretely, and works better in the folded postion compared to the sidefolder (which deploys quicker into unfolded position). The straight stock feels more rugged.

If you wait a couple of years, you might save a hundred dollars or so, or you might never again have this opportunity.
Imports are easy to ban, as are larger magazines. Get what you want, while you can, as long as you don't feel ripped off by prevailing market prices.

If I still needed it, I'd pay that price and enjoy it!
Old 05-30-2013, 15:48   #9
CarlosC
I love guns!

Is it worth that much? No

But the real question is if it's worth it to you. I've overpaid for a few things to ensure I had one and you learn to live with those types of decisions. It all balances out when you do come across a smokin deal - and they are out there.

So, are you willing to spend that money on the Yugo AK? If so, then go get it and don't look back.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46   #10
Ballistic
Glock Holiday

That's too much money for that rifle like HWI says. I would pass. Look for a Yugo like that on your local forums, yout state Armslist for a FTF and perhaps the AK Forum or some place like that.

After two years away from GT I'm Baaack...

Last edited by Ballistic; 06-01-2013 at 13:04..
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 13:10   #11
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
Yugo M70 AB2 Underfold AK-47 Rifle - 7.62x39 caliber is this worth $910 shipped to my FFL?

The Kalashnikov Klub
I bought that identical rifle in 2008 for $400 shipped from Aim Surplus. $910 is on the high side, but if you do get it, you will like it.

The Kalashnikov Klub

Old 06-01-2013, 15:13   #12
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I wouldn't buy an underfolder. If this is your first AK, I highly recommend something with a more traditional stock. You can easily add a side-folder to a traditional trunion with no permanent modification later.

Yugo rifles also don't have chrome lined barrels. This isn't much of an issue with 7.62x39, as most of the corrosive ammo is gone, but it may be an issue in some climates with 5.45. It's just something to consider. Chrome-lined barrels will also last longer

Lastly, check out this AK primer.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:22   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post

The Kalashnikov Klub
I have two of those. One with wood. One with rail. They are good guns. They run. I went with then because I wanted the gas shutoff. If you are not going to run a suppressor, you don't need a gas shutoff.

For that kind of cash and all, I would think you could get an Arsenal AK with side folder ad be much happier as a shooter.
Old 06-01-2013, 16:29   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

$700

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=344615024

or $2500 for the same rifle.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=344817133

Last edited by Glockdude1; 06-01-2013 at 16:30..
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:08   #15
CarlosC
I love guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
One of two things with the guy asking $2500 for an AK...either he's an idiot looking for a sucker, or he's attempting to sell it..."Honey, I know you said I had to sell some of my guns, but no one is buying right now. Look, I posted an ad and no one is bidding. I tried."

I think A.

Side comment: The Yugo AKs built by Century are some of the best AKs out there, IMO. I don't know who they contracted to build them, but they did a good job, much better than Century did with some of their other rifles. Yugos also use the beefier 1.5mm receivers along with heavier barrels. The guns are solid and well finished. Sill, I don't think they're worth $900.

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub
Old 06-01-2013, 20:05   #16
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Side comment: The Yugo AKs built by Century are some of the best AKs out there, IMO. I don't know who they contracted to build them,
The barrel is a USA barrel made by Green Mountain.

The subcontractors's name is on the gun, but I am too lazy to dig mine out to read the name.

BTW, I agree with you, but I think half of the reason they are good is because the parts coming in were good. The Romanians were not great before they were cut up and shipped to America according to the Romanians I knew.
Old 06-09-2013, 15:35   #17
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

I wouldn't overpay for a Yugo AK right now simply because the barrels aren't chrome-lined...

Yugo AKs are solid and well-made, but the barrel is the one thing that scares me about them; however, if you are anal about keeping your AK clean then it should still give you a lifetime of good shooting. While Romanian AKs tend to be thought of as lower end, they have chrome-lined barrels and are usually found bit cheaper than Yugos...
Old 06-09-2013, 16:23   #18
CarlosC
I love guns!

Yugos have never had chrome lined barrels. Even the real Yugo AKs didn't have it. For whatever reason, they chose not to do it. However, the quality of their work is without question.
The Romanian AKs are good, but they can't hold a candle to the Yugos in terms of quality of work. Look at the machine work and fit of parts on a Yugo and a Romy. The chrome lining is really irrelevant, especially if you shoot ammo with non-corrosive primers or simply take care of the bore.