Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 20:48   #1
timelinex

glock 19 vs glock 23 with mod

I have been thinking about getting a glock 19 for a while now (bad timing right?) and recently I learned that if you get a glock 23 you can actually buy a barrel/magazine mod that will enable you to make it a 9mm at anytime with ease.

Other than the obvious of spending the extra money on another barrel, is there any advantage of having a glock 19 over going with a glock 23 and buying the 9mm barrel??
timelinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:56   #2
robotoid

Depends on your end goal. 23 if you want to carry 40 and target/practice shoot with 9mm, 19 if you want to carry 9mm. Conversions are NOT generally considered a good idea on a carry/defense gun, but are fine to save cost target shooting/practice.
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:44   #3
timelinex

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotoid View Post
Depends on your end goal. 23 if you want to carry 40 and target/practice shoot with 9mm, 19 if you want to carry 9mm. Conversions are NOT generally considered a good idea on a carry/defense gun, but are fine to save cost target shooting/practice.
Gotchya, so that is what I was getting at... I'm assuming the conversion is not as accurate and reliable as a factory 9mm..?

I'm not planning on conceal carrying anytime soon, its mostly gonna be a range gun with a side job of nightstand gun. I am assuming after the first couple times playing with it, it would be in 9mm mode 99% of the time. I was coming from the angle of if I can gain the option of an extra caliber, just in case, then why not...
Old 01-24-2013, 21:58   #4
gooffeyguy

with the 23 you can also get just a G32 barrel and shoot .357 sig through it using your stock mags
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:17   #5
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Gotchya, so that is what I was getting at... I'm assuming the conversion is not as accurate and reliable as a factory 9mm..?

I'm not sure how much affect it would have on accuracy, but I'm sure there would be, at least some, issues in regard to reliability. That being said, changing out the recoil spring, and the ejector to the ones used in the 9mm should resolve most reliability problems. And as previously stated, you could also buy a factory/aftermarket barrel from a G32 and have the ability to shoot .357Sig also.
rl356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:31   #6
randyc74

I have a 2nd gen. Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. I shoot on a weekley basis and have put thousands of rounds down range with this combo with no malfunctions. One day I will probably add a .357 sig barrel to the mix.
I like being able to shoot up to 3 different calibers out of one pistol. The Glock 19 is also a fine pistol, just lacks the versatility of the 23.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
randyc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:31   #7
TomAiello

If you're planning on nightstand duty in 9mm, get a 19.

If the nightstand duty will be in .40 go with the 23.

I don't want a conversion in my hand when bad things are going bump in the night.
TomAiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53   #8
silversport

I have a G23 I bought because the deal was too good to pass up...I am not a fan of the .40 S&W shooting experience...

I found a deal on a Storm Lake .40 S&W/9mm conversion barrel and picked up a couple G19 magazines...with 124GR 9mm mine has been 100% and I would not hesitate (and have carried) to carry this combination for CC/HD/SD...

later I found a nice GLOCK G32 357 SiG barrel and have my G23 in this configuration and it also is 100% and I don't hesitate to carry for CC/HD/SD...

of the three...I like the 357 SiG best with 9mm just a touch less and then the .40 S&W...all with the same pistol...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00   #9
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
If you're planning on nightstand duty in 9mm, get a 19.

If the nightstand duty will be in .40 go with the 23.

I don't want a conversion in my hand when bad things are going bump in the night.
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I am not a fan of conversions and would just prefer to stick with a factory gun.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10   #10
timelinex

I did some further research, and it seems like everyone that actually has the conversion says that it is 100% reliable and even more accurate (except the occasional problems with the low powered rounds that you wouldn't use with a defense weapon anyways).

So my question is for the guys that say they wouldn't trust a conversion for a defense weapon... Is this based on any actual data/facts or experiences, or is this just based on not liking the feeling of using something thats not from the factory.
Old 01-25-2013, 15:39   #11
DFin

My G27 with LW 40 to 9mm conversion barrel has been reliable. I would like to get a 19 but will get a 23 for its versatility.

Last edited by DFin; 01-25-2013 at 17:41..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 17:31   #12
rl356

Quote:
I did some further research, and it seems like everyone that actually has the conversion says that it is 100% reliable and even more accurate (except the occasional problems with the low powered rounds that you wouldn't use with a defense weapon anyways).

So my question is for the guys that say they wouldn't trust a conversion for a defense weapon... Is this based on any actual data/facts or experiences, or is this just based on not liking the feeling of using something thats not from the factory.
From personal experience. Had ejection issues from a 27 and a 22 that I had conversion barrels for. Swapped out the recoil springs, ejectors, and extractors to those made for 9mm and saw the reliability that I would expect to see from glock. It's not much of an additional cost for the parts, and it's something that can be done in a couple minutes. If the conversion is for nothing more than range use, I'd say go ahead with just a conversion barrel. If there's a chance that the conversion could be used for any defensive application, I'd recommend the additional parts. If a failure were to occur, better it be on the range than when seconds count.
Old 01-25-2013, 18:38   #13
1canvas

I and many others have shot 1000s of 9mm out of 23s with 100% reliability. although I would not think a conversion barrel in a 23 for SD [not including a 32 barrel] would be a good idea, after shooting so many rounds of 9mm out of mine I would have no problem carrying my 23 with my 9mm barrel.
Old 01-25-2013, 18:42   #14
1canvas

if I ever wanted brass to the face I would get a new 19 extractor and ejector.
just kidding.

Last edited by 1canvas; 01-25-2013 at 18:42..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 18:54   #15
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
if I ever wanted brass to the face I would get a new 19 extractor and ejector.
just kidding.
Haven't they worked that issue out yet?
Old 01-25-2013, 19:12   #16
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl356 View Post
Haven't they worked that issue out yet?
for the most part no, although some that bought new 19s say they are ok. but many say they start out ok then depending on the load they are shooting get hit. others say it only happens every now and then.
Old 01-25-2013, 20:11   #17
scosgt

I know I am odd, but I have both a G19 and a G23. I greatly prefer the G23. It just plain shoots better. I find the recoil less "sharp". A slip on Hogue grip tames the beast.
But that's just me.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 20:14   #18
bha0198

What about going a g26 with magazine extension?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
bha0198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29   #19
silversport

Quote:

It seems logical that any changes to a pistol beyond the way it came could affect reliability...(better or worse)...

the 1911 guys seem to change all sorts of things that should affect reliability, usually in a positive way, without the stigma we hear here...I think some of that stigma comes from GLOCKs seemingly being 100% reliable out of the box...

...you will hear from those who make all sorts of changes to their pistols but believe other changes that they don't make will affect reliability...some does, some does not...does a spring change do it???...how about a different recoil rod???...sights??? (I personally had an issue with improperly mounted Trijicons...it didn't turn me off of night sights...just the shop that applied them...)...how about a grip reduction or modification???...magazine changes???...capacity???...slide mods???...holster???...the list goes on...

My G23 with a Storm Lake .40/9mm conversion barrel and either G19 or G17 magazines has been 100% with 124GR Speer Lawman and Gold Dots...I had 2 Failure to go into full battery using 115 Aguila practice ball ammo...guess which I no longer use...I have and would continue to carry this as an off duty/Home Defense/Self Defense/Concealed Carry option if I hadn't become enamored with the 357 SiG cartridge and changed the barrel to a G32 GLOCK barrel for me...

...by the way...the stock LE/Gov't G23 magazines had a hiccup or two with 357 SiG ammo that has been 100% cured by using the newer follower .40 G23 mag and 357 SiG specific GLOCK magazines...so much for assuming if it's GLOCK it will work...

...practice with whatever you plan to carry...whether it be stock or modified by whatever manufacturer and do that until you are confident that it is 100%...

I would have 100% confidence with my G23, Storm Lake conversion barrel and 124GR Speer ammunition...YMMV...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 01-26-2013 at 07:29..
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23   #20
commonguy001

First post to the forum but longtime glock owner

I've never had an issue with the Storm Lake 40 to 9mm barrels in either my 22 or 23. They've been as reliable as the gun was stock even with target ammo. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, end of story. Both my guns with conversions are Gen3. I also think the 22 shoots as well converted as my 17 Gen4 does stock.

The only drawback I see is the Mags are pretty big $$$ right now if you don't already have them. When the idiocy dies down you should be good to go.

Would I carry it with the conversion barrel? Sure although I haven't
commonguy001 is offline   Reply With Quote