Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 20:14   #1
blueiron

Whistleblower fired

This has been festering locally for a while [since 2010] and the gist is that Phoenix was inflating kidnapping numbers to claim more Federal grant monies.

A Sergeant blows the whistle on then-Chief Jack Harris and then comes under official scrutiny.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_...ow-facing-city
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:30   #2
Vigilant

Hope he takes 'em to the cleaners.
Old 01-28-2013, 20:55   #3
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Three charges: False statements in the memos, sending them outside the chain of command, and using city property (letterhead) for personal gain.

As to the false statements, I'd have to see more info.

As to sending the memo outside of his chain of command: When the chain of command IS the problem, what the crap else are you supposed to do?

As to using city property for personal gain, by writing the memos on city letterhead: Really? Are we farkin' serious?!

Overall, it smells. BAD. Going by what's been reported, it looks like the city got caught, and the "city manager" (what the hell is that?) got mad that they got caught and ordered a witch hunt to get the troublemaker out. I'll second Vigilant's comment; I hope he gets everything he has coming to him on this one.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 23:48   #4
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

The same city manager that just got a $78k raise?

I hope they get smacked. Hopefully somebody will follow up on the fake stats for fed $$$s claim.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-28-2013, 23:50   #5
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

A city manager is usually hired by the city council and mayor to actually run the city.

Old 01-29-2013, 00:42   #6
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcop761 View Post
A city manager is usually hired by the city council and mayor to actually run the city.

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that was the mayor's job.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59   #7
EODLRD
AF Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Nah, the mayor's job is to make self-righteous statements to the media.
EODLRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07   #8
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcop761 View Post
The same city manager that just got a $78k raise?
Yes, indeed.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08   #9
TK-421

Quote:
It really depends on what form of government the city has set up. There's the form where the mayor is at the top, and there's another form where the mayor is just a figure head, the city council does something, and the city manager is the person who actually runs the city. I don't remember everything that was said, but it was explained in my State and Local government class. Shows how well the teaching sticks that I can remember some of it, but not all.

There was also a second form of city government that was in between the two, I think the city was run directly by the city council, and the mayor was again a figure head. But I don't remember exactly, so I could be wrong on that part.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12   #10
blueiron

Quote:

Much of Arizona uses the part time elected council and full time appointed manager model.

The council and mayor set strategic planning/budgets and the city/town/county manager is the executive responsible for the day to day operation of the city/town/county.

It is supposed to minimize the abuses and spoils of the elected office, but many managers want desperately to be in larger municipalities or politicians themselves.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39   #11
ClydeG19

Police depts messing with crime stats? Nooooooo.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17   #12
merlynusn

We have a full time city manager. A part time city council and part time mayor. Why do we have a part time mayor? Who knows. But yeah, the unelected city manager runs the city. Gotta love it.

As to the whistleblower. At least two of the charges on the face are completely ridiculous. I have no idea if the false statements in the memo is accurate or not. My guess is not otherwise they wouldn't have used the idiotic charges of using "city property" (letterhead) to write the letters and sending them outside the chain of command.

I wouldn't have accepted their offers either. He'll get a lot more than $75k in a settlement, plus his retirement benefits.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Assuming that have standard whistleblower protection laws there, the city has a problem. Looks like federal law, even criminal charges, could come into play over falsifying statistics to get money from the feds. It could literally turn into a RICO case with the police prosecuted as a criminal syndicate, if a U.S. Attorney wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
As to the whistleblower. At least two of the charges on the face are completely ridiculous. I have no idea if the false statements in the memo is accurate or not. My guess is not otherwise they wouldn't have used the idiotic charges of using "city property" (letterhead) to write the letters and sending them outside the chain of command.

I wouldn't have accepted their offers either. He'll get a lot more than $75k in a settlement, plus his retirement benefits.
Wow - the "charge" actually documents that he was fired for whistleblowing. Did they not think of that? Beyond money and benefits, he's going to get to see the people above him in very hot water. When your police chief or city manager goes to federal prison, remember I said I told you so.

Last edited by Bren; 01-29-2013 at 05:51..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06   #14
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Assuming that have standard whistleblower protection laws there, the city has a problem. Looks like federal law, even criminal charges, could come into play over falsifying statistics to get money from the feds. It could literally turn into a RICO case with the police prosecuted as a criminal syndicate, if a U.S. Attorney wanted to.

Wow - the "charge" actually documents that he was fired for whistleblowing. Did they not think of that? Beyond money and benefits, he's going to get to see the people above him in very hot water. When your police chief or city manager goes to federal prison, remember I said I told you so.
I had a feeling this was only the beginning of this story.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19   #15
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

We have a full time City Mayor and a full time City Manager. From what I can tell, the Manager makes all the decisions, the Mayor is the political face they put on them.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote