GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 17:06   #21
Noponer
Senior Member
 
Noponer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
Went to a local dealer today (1/26/13). He had 2 for the same price as regular G30's in his shop. His prices are hard to beat in this area... $519 for the G30S.

A customer walked in & traded for one of them. I looked at the other one for a while, but could not bring myself to trade my almost-new G30SF for it.
Well, I went back today & bought a 30S (he still had a couple). I will shoot it tomorrow along with my G30SF to see if the recoil is acceptable... I feel sure it will be.

I did notice that slide peening has already begun, with just the factory test rounds! At least there are noticeable marks on the slide & locking block. Even my G30SF with a couple hundred rounds on it does not look that way; the lighter slide is obviously moving much faster than the regular G30 slides.

It fits a couple of my G30 holsters, but is a little loose in the Askins Avenger type (actually an older Dillon for G21's that I had shortened for a previous G30). I can tighten that if necessary.

The trigger bar is a -2 instead of -1. What's that all about? Is that unique to the G30S?

Last edited by Noponer; 01-28-2013 at 21:53.. Reason: Added trigger bar comment.
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:12   #22
Noponer
Senior Member
 
Noponer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
Well, I went back today & bought a 30S (he still had a couple). I will shoot it tomorrow along with my G30SF to see if the recoil is acceptable... I feel sure it will be.

I did notice that slide peening has already begun, with just the factory test rounds! At least there are noticeable marks on the slide & locking block. Even my G30SF with a couple hundred rounds on it does not look that way; the lighter slide is obviously moving much faster than the regular G30 slides.

It fits a couple of my G30 holsters, but is a little loose in the Askins Avenger type (actually an older Dillon for G21's that I had shortened for a previous G30). I can tighten that if necessary.

The trigger bar is a -2 instead of -1. What's that all about? Is that unique to the G30S?
The kick is noticeably more than the G30SF, especially when firing Buffalo Bore +P 230 gr rounds. Not horrible... about what you would expect when losing more than 3 ozs. of steel in the slide. Probably no worse (if as bad) as a G27... I have not shot one for several years.

I'm gonna keep it, though - it's worth it for a .45 SD gun weighing little more than a fully loaded G26. I never use +P rounds in .45 for EDC.... just keep a mag full for those times when I might take to a trail in the woods.

Last edited by Noponer; 01-29-2013 at 16:16..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50   #23
silversport
Senior Member
 
silversport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicagoland USA
Posts: 2,846


thanks for your feedback Noponer...I'll have to decide if I can deal with easier carry but stouter recoil or...

Bill
__________________
****G17**G21 Gen4**G30S****
*NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER/LEAA LIFE MEMBER*
*Like What You've Got?...Thank a Vet!*
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58   #24
GRT45
Transform & Win
 
GRT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
The trigger bar is a -2 instead of -1. What's that all about? Is that unique to the G30S?
Hmmm...that is very interesting. That's the first report I've read of a -2 variant of the trigger bar. Is it still 4256, marked 4256-2?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 01-30-2013 at 06:40..
GRT45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:47   #25
Noponer
Senior Member
 
Noponer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
Hmmm...that is very interesting. That's the first report I've read of a -2 variant of the trigger bar. Is it still 4256, marked 4256-2?
Yes, 4256-2. BIG stamped numbers.... the "2" was almost around the bend where the spring arm turns down.

I might add that the slide would go into battery OK when held vertical & the trigger held back. The G30SF that I bought a few months back would not do that, but functioned fine with live ammo. That test does not bother me if a gun shoots OK.

Last edited by Noponer; 01-30-2013 at 14:50..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:18   #26
josey88
central Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 418
I don`t know about you guys , but I prefer my slide thick .
A thicker slide is safer and have less recoil , less snapping and perhaps more control , in my humble opinion .
I guess that Glock have nothing else to do and they are coming up with some ideas like thinner slides to diversifiy sales .
My G30SF is just perfect . It is a Gen 3 with some mods : XS Big Dot Express night sights , Pierce Grip extensions on all my mags , Glock plug , extended slide release , NY-1 trigger spring and Siderlock trigger safety ... absolutely perfect !

Last edited by josey88; 01-30-2013 at 18:26..
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:29   #27
skytop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
People have been building their 'home brew' model 30S (gen 3) for some time. Glock is only now legitimizing the model.

I am waiting for the Gen 4 Model 30. Hopefully, it will soon arrive.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54   #28
sioux565
Member
 
sioux565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
I don`t know about you guys , but I prefer my slide thick .
A thicker slide is safer and have less recoil , less snapping and perhaps more control , in my humble opinion .
I guess that Glock have nothing else to do and they are coming up with some ideas like thinner slides to diversifiy sales .
My G30SF is just perfect . It is a Gen 3 with some mods : XS Big Dot Express night sights , Pierce Grip extensions on all my mags , Glock plug , extended slide release , NY-1 trigger spring and Siderlock trigger safety ... absolutely perfect !
A thicker slide is safer? Yeah, okay.
sioux565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14   #29
josey88
central Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
A thicker slide is safer? Yeah, okay.
Well, if something goes wrong inside the slide , what would you prefer you have had , thinner or thicker slide ?
Believe it or not , things like that happens all the time to weapons .
I was just reading and looking at pics of a CZ-52 with an exploded round ... incredible . The CZ-52 is built like a tank , it is an all steel weapon with a heavy steel slide and the guy walked out without scratch .
To me , personally , if I am given the choice of thinner or thicker slide , I choose thicker . I am not suggesting that the 30S is unsafe . Just my personal opinion
Check this out :
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468774

and this one ... and it can happen to anyone on any caliber
General Glocking
General Glocking

Last edited by josey88; 01-31-2013 at 16:53..
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:34.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,053
329 Members
724 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31