SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 17:06   #21
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
Went to a local dealer today (1/26/13). He had 2 for the same price as regular G30's in his shop. His prices are hard to beat in this area... $519 for the G30S.

A customer walked in & traded for one of them. I looked at the other one for a while, but could not bring myself to trade my almost-new G30SF for it.
Well, I went back today & bought a 30S (he still had a couple). I will shoot it tomorrow along with my G30SF to see if the recoil is acceptable... I feel sure it will be.

I did notice that slide peening has already begun, with just the factory test rounds! At least there are noticeable marks on the slide & locking block. Even my G30SF with a couple hundred rounds on it does not look that way; the lighter slide is obviously moving much faster than the regular G30 slides.

It fits a couple of my G30 holsters, but is a little loose in the Askins Avenger type (actually an older Dillon for G21's that I had shortened for a previous G30). I can tighten that if necessary.

The trigger bar is a -2 instead of -1. What's that all about? Is that unique to the G30S?

Last edited by Noponer; 01-28-2013 at 21:53.. Reason: Added trigger bar comment.
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:12   #22
Noponer

Quote:
Well, I went back today & bought a 30S (he still had a couple). I will shoot it tomorrow along with my G30SF to see if the recoil is acceptable... I feel sure it will be.

I did notice that slide peening has already begun, with just the factory test rounds! At least there are noticeable marks on the slide & locking block. Even my G30SF with a couple hundred rounds on it does not look that way; the lighter slide is obviously moving much faster than the regular G30 slides.

It fits a couple of my G30 holsters, but is a little loose in the Askins Avenger type (actually an older Dillon for G21's that I had shortened for a previous G30). I can tighten that if necessary.

The trigger bar is a -2 instead of -1. What's that all about? Is that unique to the G30S?
The kick is noticeably more than the G30SF, especially when firing Buffalo Bore +P 230 gr rounds. Not horrible... about what you would expect when losing more than 3 ozs. of steel in the slide. Probably no worse (if as bad) as a G27... I have not shot one for several years.

I'm gonna keep it, though - it's worth it for a .45 SD gun weighing little more than a fully loaded G26. I never use +P rounds in .45 for EDC.... just keep a mag full for those times when I might take to a trail in the woods.

Last edited by Noponer; 01-29-2013 at 16:16..
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50   #23
silversport

thanks for your feedback Noponer...I'll have to decide if I can deal with easier carry but stouter recoil or...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58   #24
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Hmmm...that is very interesting. That's the first report I've read of a -2 variant of the trigger bar. Is it still 4256, marked 4256-2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 01-30-2013 at 06:40..
GRT45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:47   #25
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
Hmmm...that is very interesting. That's the first report I've read of a -2 variant of the trigger bar. Is it still 4256, marked 4256-2?
Yes, 4256-2. BIG stamped numbers.... the "2" was almost around the bend where the spring arm turns down.

I might add that the slide would go into battery OK when held vertical & the trigger held back. The G30SF that I bought a few months back would not do that, but functioned fine with live ammo. That test does not bother me if a gun shoots OK.

Last edited by Noponer; 01-30-2013 at 14:50..
Old 01-30-2013, 18:18   #26
josey88
central Florida

I don`t know about you guys , but I prefer my slide thick .
A thicker slide is safer and have less recoil , less snapping and perhaps more control , in my humble opinion .
I guess that Glock have nothing else to do and they are coming up with some ideas like thinner slides to diversifiy sales .
My G30SF is just perfect . It is a Gen 3 with some mods : XS Big Dot Express night sights , Pierce Grip extensions on all my mags , Glock plug , extended slide release , NY-1 trigger spring and Siderlock trigger safety ... absolutely perfect !

Last edited by josey88; 01-30-2013 at 18:26..
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:29   #27
skytop

People have been building their 'home brew' model 30S (gen 3) for some time. Glock is only now legitimizing the model.

I am waiting for the Gen 4 Model 30. Hopefully, it will soon arrive.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54   #28
sioux565

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
I don`t know about you guys , but I prefer my slide thick .
A thicker slide is safer and have less recoil , less snapping and perhaps more control , in my humble opinion .
I guess that Glock have nothing else to do and they are coming up with some ideas like thinner slides to diversifiy sales .
My G30SF is just perfect . It is a Gen 3 with some mods : XS Big Dot Express night sights , Pierce Grip extensions on all my mags , Glock plug , extended slide release , NY-1 trigger spring and Siderlock trigger safety ... absolutely perfect !
A thicker slide is safer? Yeah, okay.
sioux565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14   #29
josey88
central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
A thicker slide is safer? Yeah, okay.
Well, if something goes wrong inside the slide , what would you prefer you have had , thinner or thicker slide ?
Believe it or not , things like that happens all the time to weapons .
I was just reading and looking at pics of a CZ-52 with an exploded round ... incredible . The CZ-52 is built like a tank , it is an all steel weapon with a heavy steel slide and the guy walked out without scratch .
To me , personally , if I am given the choice of thinner or thicker slide , I choose thicker . I am not suggesting that the 30S is unsafe . Just my personal opinion
Check this out :
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468774

and this one ... and it can happen to anyone on any caliber
General Glocking
General Glocking

Last edited by josey88; 01-31-2013 at 16:53..
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote