Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 22:06   #1
Super8mm

Sizing dies and Glocks

I have just gotten a Dillon 550 press and getter ready toorder my 9mm and .40 dies. I have seen some discussion about the sizing diesare not all equal.

It has been said Glocks may swell your brass a bit more thanother semi autos and that not all sizing dies are equal and may not size the wholecase? Might this be true or is itsomeone not cycling the die all the way?
Is there a crimp die that will do a full sizing and crimp atthe same time?
I shoot a 17, 23C, 26, and a 27.

Thanks
Super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:28   #2
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super8mm View Post
I have just gotten a Dillon 550 press and getter ready toorder my 9mm and .40 dies. I have seen some discussion about the sizing diesare not all equal

There are some differences. Dillon dies have useful features that other dies don't have. They are, in my view, worth the cost.

However, the Lee sizing die is often used because it will size a little farther down the brass.

There is also some utility in using a Redding Micrometer bullet seating die. It's somewhat easier to adjust than a regular die. However, it isn't as easy to clean as the Dillon die.

Don't forget to get a real taper crimp die. Don't even bother thinking about the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD)

Quote:

It has been said Glocks may swell your brass a bit more thanother semi autos and that not all sizing dies are equal and may not size the wholecase? Might this be true or is itsomeone not cycling the die all the way?

See above. I don't believe the Lee die is actually required but I bought one for 9mm and I have been using it. Not required, but testing it anyway. The thing is, the Dillon sizing die decapping mechanism is superior in every way!

Quote:

You absolutely do NOT want to do this. It is the function of the FCD which not many around here will recommend.

As the bullet is seated, it expands the brass and the neck tension thus created holds the bullet. If you resize the crimped area, you release the neck tension and this is not a good thing.

If you decide to buy Lee dies, get the 3 die set (not the 4 die set) and buy the taper crimp die separately.

Richard
Old 01-28-2013, 22:36   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I have used Lee 3 die sets on 10mm, 40 S&W and 9mm. I have never had a problem reloading with them.
Because of the taper of 9mm cases I have found it is the hardest (not hard) to reload and have to use a sizing lube.
Old 01-28-2013, 22:46   #4
fredj338

I use DIllon dies, they do fine, so do just about every othe brand. Most of the time, it's a problem w/ the sizing die not beibng setup right or the reloader going way over max & getting guppy brass. Stay in book loads, set your dies up right, brand isn't going to matter much IMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-28-2013 at 22:46..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02   #5
Colorado4Wheel

I have had zero issues with Lee swapping setups. Its better then Dillon in some ways and not in others.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41   #6
Super8mm

Thanks guys, lots of good information to digest. Both Dillon and Lee seem to be popular enough that they are getting hard to find but then what is not hard to find right now
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

In my mind, the tapered mouth of the Dillon resizing die doesn't resize the bottom of the case as well as the Lee's die.

The purpose of the tapered mouth is to help "feed" the unsized case better into the die. Works great for that, but then it causes the bottom not to be sized properly.

I use a Dillon crimp die, but the Lee sizing dies. And a Redding micrometer seating die (they are so easy to adjust!). It's a bit of a pain to get 3 different dies for a new caliber, but I'd rather be happy with my setup than worrying about a little convenience or slight extra money. I save SO much by reloading already, the few bucks I spend on getting what I want is worth it.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:09   #8
h2oman1975

i have used the 4 die set up from lee with 9mm and have reloaded over 20k rounds with that set. and to date have never had a problem. im not saying that its the best set out there. but i am saying it works fine for me. im not reloading to do anything except target shot either. and i have not had a problem setting this set up either. also i have not tried the dillon dies either.
h2oman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:10   #9
Super8mm

Thanks h2o, I am going to do it for target too
Old 01-30-2013, 21:45   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

I like the Lee dies better. The Lee decapper is superior to the Dillon in every way. It's unbreakable and I've never had a spent primer re-seated in a sized case like I have with the Dillon.

In theory the Dillon seater is easier to clean. IMO, the Lee is easier to clean in practice. As someone who uses liquid alox, I clean my seater dies regularly. When the seater gets fouled with bullet lube, the OAL shrinks. With the Lee and its fingertip adjustment, I just turn the screw out a bit and keep loading. When I run out of adjustment, I clean the die. This is about every 500 rounds or so. With the Dillon, when it gets fouled, I have to stop what I'm doing and clean the seater since it's not a simple matter to adjust it, this happens as often as every 100 rounds.

As for the actual cleaning of the seater die, the Dillon has little galleries in the seater and it's holder, plus the pin, all of which have to be cleaned and it takes solvent to get it out. With the Lee, I just use a small screwdriver and scrape out the lube in one piece. The die body itself is easily cleaned with a pass of a bore brush. The setting is easy to return to because the lock ring keeps the crimp setting and a loaded round sets the seater stem.

Cleaning of dies is a non-issue if you use jacketed bullets unless you just like to clean things.

The Lee sizer is better in theory because it has less radius in opening, but I never had a round not chamber after sizing in my Dillon die.

Lee's are cheaper too.

While I like my Lee dies better, I'm too lazy to switch the Dillon dies out of my 650 to my Lee set, so the differences to me are minor. When I only had Lee, I liked them. When I got a Dillon set, I liked it too.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 01-30-2013 at 21:48..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:05   #11
Super8mm

Thanks WiskyT, sounds like Lee and Dillon are both good dies, maybe that is why they are sold out in the ones I need

Old 01-30-2013, 22:12   #12
45ACP223

The Dillon Square Deal for pistol reloading can't be beat! I've loaded over 5000 rounds of old 45 Star SWC for Bullseye Competition and never had to clean it. That was some messy lube they used, and rarely had to adjust the bullet seating die to maintain col. I did have the bolt for the powder slide vibrate loose, but it's been flawless other than that. I recently took it down and cleaned everything, reset the dies and it's ready to run the next 5000. That said, the Glocks tend to have more generous chamber clearance so that might explain the additional swelling. I'll have to measure some of my 1911 spent brass vs. Glock fired brass and follow it up with some sizing using the the Sq. Deal before I'll use it for G30 loading. I'm glad you started this thread!

Last edited by 45ACP223; 01-30-2013 at 22:18..
45ACP223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:28   #13
M24C

For me I've tried the Dillon and the Lee dies, I now just use the Lee dies. For the 40 S & W, I like EGW undersize dies. It gets the 40 to fit the case gage. I've got it for both the 9mm and the 40. I don't have it for the 45 acp, just a lower pressure cartridge and the base of the brass doesn't bulge like the 40 does.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:29   #14
Super8mm

Thanks 45, I thought hard about the Square B but after I get both the 9mm and .40 setup then I will start doing my .308 too

well cleaning every 5K does not sound to bad, that is about how oftern I clean my R1200GS motorcycle
Old 01-30-2013, 22:36   #15
Super8mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M24C View Post
It gets the 40 to fit the case gage.
what sort of sampleing do you do with the case gage, every round or 1 in 10 or something like that?
Old 01-30-2013, 22:39   #16
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:

What?!?!?!?
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:52   #17
M24C

Quote:
what sort of sampleing do you do with the case gage, every round or 1 in 10 or something like that?
Depends on what the reloads are for. When setting up the system I'm checking the cases and the rounds every one to ensure they are the correct size. After the setup and it is for general shooting it is at least every 50. But if it is for something I don't want jams for I check every one. If it don't fit it goes in the general shooting pile.

40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:56   #18
Super8mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
What?!?!?!?
Some on rifle forums say that when they crip they get a little bulge and that someone had a die that crimped and sized at the same station. I should have booked marked it
Old 01-30-2013, 23:31   #19
shotgunred
reloading nut

I like the dillon sets the best. But I have and use lee seating dies. The lee decaping design seems to be the best design. It is the only thing lee makes that is better than dillon. Or even close.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:03   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Some on rifle forums say that when they crip they get a little bulge and that someone had a die that crimped and sized at the same station. I should have booked marked it

If your getting a buckle when you crimp you are doing it wrong. Fix that and the problem goes away. Over crimping ruins the accuracy of a round. Even if it doesn't buckle the case.