GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 13:12   #161
sebecman

eh...should have read the whole train wreck first...see you are on the west coast.

Looks and sounds very similar to my state.

Beauty of my state is almost everyone I talk to south of here have never even heard of it! I was in the south a few weeks back on business and everyone's asking me "you're from where?" Maine? Where is that?"
Old 02-07-2013, 14:25   #162
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
eh...should have read the whole train wreck first...see you are on the west coast.

Looks and sounds very similar to my state.

Beauty of my state is almost everyone I talk to south of here have never even heard of it! I was in the south a few weeks back on business and everyone's asking me "you're from where?" Maine? Where is that?"
Amazing how many folks don't know where "Orey-gone"* is either. Friends have told me that the South Coast has a lot in common with Maine, but the accents are different.

*(It's OryGUN)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:42   #163
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Try living in AK. People either think your not attached to NA and live somewhere west of California by Mexico, or have seen deadliest catch and IRT and think you live in the 1800s.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 15:05   #164
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Try living in AK. People either think your not attached to NA and live somewhere west of California by Mexico, or have seen deadliest catch and IRT and think you live in the 1800s.
I've heard about you folks. You sleep with bears and use icicles for TP.
Old 02-07-2013, 17:41   #165
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
...and use icicles for TP.
Great - now I'm stuck with that mental image...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:25   #166
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
"And, actually, Portland is the furthest large city. Eugene, Salem, and especially Medford are all closer. They are the second, third, and fourth largest cities in the state, respectively. True, they aren't nearly as big as Portland, but they're not exactly villages. But you're correct that you probably wouldn't get much traffic from any of those cities, except maybe Medford, because there are other national forests closer to all three of the other cities"

I have to add a lot of details that you didn't find in your research. From Salem to Eugene is the "Breadbasket" of Western Oregon. It is large tracts of agricultural land with forests on the fringes. Eugene's population is bolstered by the fact that it is a, liberal, college town. If SHTF moving down here would be a sharp step down from conditions there. If you go southwest from Eugene things get snotty real fast. The southern Willamette Valley is going to be far better off than anywhere else. Oh, and Medford/ Grants Pass? not only do they have better hunting and easier than we do but to get here from there you either have to go 100 miles around to the south or the north. There is a "road" across the divide, Here, read about what happens when people get their info from the internet and try that route

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/onl...-snowy-oregon/

Yup, the internet is definitely the place to go for all your SHTF planning
I think I pretty much said that I didn't think you'd get a large influx of city dwellers because Oregon has so many National Forests that no one would need to go very far to find one to hunt in.

Bottom line is there are 300,000 deer in Oregon and ten times that many people. Even if only 10% of the population survives and wants to hunt deer, that leaves one deer per person.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:29   #167
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave View Post
The s/p forum really needs a moderator. I rarely come here anymore. We need to focus more on tech/ info, and helping each other out then these pissing sessions. On mortality, when Mitch passed away that was a good lesson that no matter what our time will come. Well time to go back to working on my tactical wheel barrel.
Be careful what you wish for. I know of one moderator on another GT forum who breaks all the rules and then shuts down threads when someone says something he doesn't agree with. I'd rather have anarchy than a malevolent dictator.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:48   #168
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
I think I pretty much said that I didn't think you'd get a large influx of city dwellers because Oregon has so many National Forests that no one would need to go very far to find one to hunt in.

Bottom line is there are 300,000 deer in Oregon and ten times that many people. Even if only 10% of the population survives and wants to hunt deer, that leaves one deer per person.
Yah, your population studies include 6 year olds, they don't bag many round here. And, yet gain, they can want in one hand and crap in the other, if they aren't where the deer are, I know which hand will get filled first.

Sit behind your keyboard cross the Country and tell me all about it
Old 02-07-2013, 19:25   #169
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post

Population of Oregon is 3.9m
Population of N. Ca is 13.2M
total 17.1M
Children under 17 -6.0m
Women -5.0m(for the sexists who think women can't hunt)
Old Men - .5m
Mental/Physical Impaired Men -0.5m
Men that won't go to OR -.5m
Men - other issues -.5m
Men - killed somehow -.5m
Men - I missed something-.5m

Men to hunt deer 1.1M

So, what is that 3.67 men per deer - if that 300,000 deer number is correct.
Old 02-07-2013, 19:31   #170
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Round two!
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:40   #171
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Round two!
Nah, not going to be. Keyboard commandos sitting there trying to tell everyone what it's going to be like, based on numbers they get off the internet, Really aren't worth the time of day. All they have is theories about place they've never set foot in.

If someone wants to take them seriously, fly to it. Me, I've got to do some scouting for spring bear, lay out the larger garden and get our second kitchen (the one we use for canning and such) a bit better set up. I want to add more counterspace.

I've also got a neat new (to me) pack system to mess with for hunting, but it could be very useful in bug-out, but it might not be internet approved so I'll keep it to myself.

Wouldn't want to be accused of sharing too much, We are here to criticize after all.
Old 02-07-2013, 20:15   #172
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Nah, not going to be. Keyboard commandos sitting there trying to tell everyone what it's going to be like, based on numbers they get off the internet, Really aren't worth the time of day. All they have is theories about place they've never set foot in.

If someone wants to take them seriously, fly to it. Me, I've got to do some scouting for spring bear, lay out the larger garden and get our second kitchen (the one we use for canning and such) a bit better set up. I want to add more counterspace.

I've also got a neat new (to me) pack system to mess with for hunting, but it could be very useful in bug-out, but it might not be internet approved so I'll keep it to myself.

Wouldn't want to be accused of sharing too much, We are here to criticize after all.
Well, first I'm glad to hear there will be no round two. The bickering in a non-political or caliber thread is counter productive.

Secondly, we are her to share thoughts, experiences and support. THAT is always welcome. Yes?
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:01   #173
PaulMason

Quote:
Well, first I'm glad to hear there will be no round two. The bickering in a non-political or caliber thread is counter productive.

Secondly, we are her to share thoughts, experiences and support. THAT is always welcome. Yes?
Agreed! Arguing over trivial matters should be avoided. We can all learn from each other - even those that challenge us to think differently.

A lot of preppers think like defenders - they have all their preps in one place for example. But, if we think like the attacker then we might see the weaknesses in our plan or perspective.

I've said it before. We have had people said that their prep is to take from those who have prepped. They get chased off. But, we should ask them how they will choose their target, so we don't look like their target.

There are many ways to learn.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:35   #174
Lowjiber

I'm hardly a prepper. However, I do watch Doomsday Preppers on TV. I've found that the harder I laugh, the closer to a "fantasy prepper" the dude is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:35   #175
countrygun

Quote:

Indeed.

I tend to run to the "hands on" side. I get a new knife I've got plenty of places to test it. That sort of thing.

Having weathered some intense storms I have some tips and tricks to share and I want to hear how others have done.

I prefer a "Michigan pattern" axe to most others but learned couple of tricks about the double-bitted that might be useful.

Did anyone ever see the thread I started in the outdoors section some time ago? I have a number of campstoves, but I lean towards "Dual-Fuel" or "White Gas" models for some specific reasons, any one else have a preference?

How about vacuum packing rice? the wife and I tried it but we found you had to handle it carefully because the grains would poke holes in the bags, We ended up packing it in one. wrapping paper towels around it and double packing it.
Anyone else come up with a different way?
Old 02-07-2013, 23:38   #176
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Double bag it.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49   #177
Kozel

It is nothing shot of amusing and entertaining! Americans that saw no need will teach survivors how to survive!

You call it “comedy club”. We do agree!
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58   #178
Dexters

Quote:

I don't think we've seen a boxing match. It is more like an intervention. In another thread countrygun purchased and recommended a field water filter that didn't filter out bacteria. I gave him some info about filters and recommended one to him. He might not have thanked me but, I'm sure he will be rethinking that purchase. The same with all the other things we discussed. I don't expect him to thank me or anyone else. But, I'm sure all the voices he heard in this thread will give him pause and review his previous perceptions.

I've been dope slapped before and it will happen again I'm sure. We all need one now and then. It keeps us humble.

Last edited by Dexters; 02-08-2013 at 08:21..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28   #179
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:

How about vacuum packing rice? the wife and I tried it but we found you had to handle it carefully because the grains would poke holes in the bags, We ended up packing it in one. wrapping paper towels around it and double packing it.
Anyone else come up with a different way?
Using mylars in 5gal buckets, and food saver bags for on shelf storage of rice, I have never had it puncture... But if it did, I would just double bag. Be sure you use real "food saver" bags. The 5gal bucket protects the mylar, and the FS brand bags are the heaviest you can get that I have found.. We don't move our stores a lot though..

Now vac sealing pointy bullets can be a bit tricky...

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 02-08-2013 at 09:34..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56   #180
quake

+1 on the bucket & mylar approach. My experience has been the same as sfcsmith's. Never a problem, at least not that I've found yet...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote