Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:38   #61
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Ummmm.....I coined that one.....LOL!
My bad; I knew it was somebody around here, and I’m not as sharp as I used to be…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
The only use for spices in survivalist situation is if you are Donner Party re-enactor (AKA bug out survivalist) and you do not like your buddy so much that you need spices to eat him.
So spices are irrelevant… unless we’re turning to cannibalism. Got it.

Quote:
…Salt is not a spice really. It is a food preservative. Real survivalist would know that.
According to Webster’s dictionary, a spice is “something that gives zest or relish”; and "spice" is also a synonym for “season”.
Also according to Webster’s, salt is “used especially to season or preserve food”, which according to the rules of the English language, is the same as “used especially to spice or preserve food”.

So yes, spice. At least unless we want to debate the accuracy of Webster’s dictionary; which I’m not personally arrogant enough to do.

There are those that say a CAR-15 isn’t a “hunting” gun. I personally have dead deer that would disagree. So in actual use, it absolutely is a ‘hunting gun’. Similarly, when I put salt on my eggs or potatoes, I’m not preserving them, I’m seasoning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozell
Simply put if you think salt is a spice then you are an idiot. AKA “fantasy prepper”.
Well, bummer. Webster’s dictionary is idiotic and fantastical. That’s disconcerting to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel
I do not give a salted piece of you know what about what The United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends. Nobody in that whole department knows how to salt and preserve one fish or one cucumber.
Wow. You know everybody in the dept of health, and are personally aware of their individual abilities. Wish I was omniscient like that.

Quote:
Collapse of an empire, way of life, currency, law and order...
Genuinely curious; not being facetious, but where and in what circumstances? There’s an old line about “every man is my better, in that I may learn from him”, and I personally don’t at all mind learning from the experiences of others.

As someone mentioned above, most of us here are interested in actual experiences, and listen to folks & consider their input as potentially valuable. It is difficult, however, to listen objectively when there's insulting pontification going on.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 01-29-2013 at 11:39..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43   #62
Kozel

Fantasy preppers sure love reading books! Dictionaries and government manuals.
Will it help you when you are hungry? I highly doubt it.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52   #63
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
If you have so much great experience, how about SHARING it rather than just talking crap to people.
People that talk crap only deserve same thing back. You started with cement, salt and pepper are spices….
I could teach a class on surviving but you are not going to come there. You are too smart for your own good.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55   #64
SFCSMITH(RET)

Good preppers know GT has an ignore function.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59   #65
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
When the SHTF, I'll be happy that I stored a little oregano, basil, garlic salt, sugar, and salt to make some Italian pasta sauce. It will go great with some Cabernet Sauvignon. That's the way I roll. If it isn't to your liking - to each his own.
Clueless idiot.

You never been hungry. That is all. You do not know what starvation does do your mind.

Yeah. Sure. You will say that it did a number on mine. I survived thought. You do not even begin to imagine what it will do to yours.

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 13:02..
Old 01-29-2013, 13:05   #66
Kozel

Quote:

Breaks my heart! I think I will run to my room and cry all night!
Old 01-29-2013, 13:21   #67
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I've got right at 20yrs x 2 stored,spices are a integral part ta survival.Yes I've been quite hungry in my life,that is the reason I started ta prep.Don't try and sound like you were the only one,it's quite hypocritical.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:32   #68
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
I've got right at 20yrs x 2 stored,spices are a integral part ta survival.Yes I've been quite hungry in my life,that is the reason I started ta prep.Don't try and sound like you were the only one,it's quite hypocritical.'08.
20 years ago I spoke no English. You still do not. I guess I will have to ignore your very edumacated opinion then.

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 21:44..
Old 01-29-2013, 14:45   #69
PaulMason

Quote:
I'm a good prepper, now.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:21   #70
quake

Quote:
Fantasy preppers sure love reading books! Dictionaries and government manuals.
Will it help you when you are hungry? I highly doubt it.
I do like dictionaries when it comes to pointing out incorrect definitions of words.

Quote:
Clueless idiot.

You never been hungry. That is all. You do not know what starvation does do your mind.

Yeah. Sure. You will say that it did a number on mine. I survived thought. You do not even begin to imagine what it will do to yours.

Again, seriously; any info you'd care to share would be welcome. There just seems to be a hostility here, that if done away with, could lead to more useful info being passed along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-29-2013, 18:13   #71
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
I could teach a class on surivalism from survivors perspective…. Will you listen…? Heck no! You are the survivalist! You are way too smart for that!
Yes, I'm too smart to listen to someone who says that anyone who stores spices is an idiot. There is no downside to storing spices.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:27   #72
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Clueless idiot.

A bad prepper is someone who doesn't understand the purpose behind prepping.

People who don't prep are the ones who will go hungry and eat anything. People who prep won't go be going hungry. That's kind of the point.

It sounds as if your experience is in surviving a SHTF situation without having prepared for it. You're on the wrong forum to give advice. You need to be on the "Oh, darn, I didn't see that coming" forum.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 21:34   #73
Kozel

You kiddies go ahead and play in your survivalist sandbox full of spices you wasted your money on.
Old 01-29-2013, 21:52   #74
Unistat

Too bad, a decent thread got de-railed by a troll.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15   #75
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
You kiddies go ahead and play in your survivalist sandbox full of spices you wasted your money on.

You are a wanna-be with the hall monitor syndrome..

I'll bet you have never even survived a fist fight, let alone all the things you mentioned.

Your a coward and a liar I say, unplug your computer and go wander into the wilderness to be with the one person who cares what you think and say, and the only person who wants to hear from you.

Have a nice life loser.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29   #76
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
I put the guy on ignore. But, you can learn from some trolls. Maybe a few here have not thought about spices and will begin to see if they have what they need. Good food is a moral booster.

We've had a few come by who said their preps were guns/ammo and the plan was to take what they needed from other preppers.

Unfortunately, instead of posters asking him what he would look for in who to choose to target, they said people would he would be tracked down and killed by people.

Like asking a home burglar how they choose their target, there could be things to learn. Even if the thief is a fool and wrong; that fool could act on their plan.

Last edited by PaulMason; 01-30-2013 at 08:12..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52   #77
quake

Quote:
You kiddies go ahead and play...
Sigh....

I personally, politely and repeatedly asked for info, specific suggestions, and lessons learned; and not only was I not the only one, I wasn't even the first one.

You see, the reason for asking questions is (or at least usually is) out of a genuine curiosity about the answers, and in these kind of discussions, it's primarily in hopes of learning something new, or learning to view something from a different perspective. The reason for asking questions in a polite manner is because that's what actual grown-ups do.

So far, what we have from you can be summed up in two veins. First is, "If you have spices in your house, you're an idiot." Yet you haven't suggested anything that people SHOULD do, just faxated on one specific micro-category, that if decided on in a manner different from you personally, lumps them irretrievably as an idiot.

The second thing you've contributed can be summed up as, "I'm a survivor of the collapse of an empire and its entire way of life." Great. Congratulations. How about some specifics that might spread some info and help out some of those who you clearly believe know less than you do? That's something else that decent grown-ups do; they try to help others when they can, especially in this kind of setting where it costs absolutely nothing to do so.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31   #78
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
But we did learn some troll ID lessons.

Still lots to glean from the thread. And it's not dead, just "mostly dead"... LOL.

The new/bad prepper observation is spot on. I am on a very S&P centered board elsewhere, and it's hard for many, who have been at it for a long time, to remember what it was like when we/they started, having to set priorities, gain knowledge, save money, find the best deal on that step.. repeat. Some of those steps are easier now then they were back when I made my first, personal, "bulk purchase" back in the late 70's..

Many people think that if someone sets their acquisition priority differently, then they are a "bad prepper", but it usually means that after they considered their situation and worries.. they decided on a different plan. That is not only their right, hell, it's exactly the way it should be. It's easy to say, 1)water 2)food 3)medical 4)shelter 5)defensive capability But a person who lives in MN doesn't need near the water plan as someone in NV.. so they move the order around.. and the person in NV may not understand the MN persons lack of focus on water.. so they label them "bad prepper".. easy to do.

It's easy now to look up lots of info that covers both the basics, and deep storage plans. And to get (at least some) info from actual users of water filter "X" or grain mill "Y", etc etc.. Recipes to use for the store what you eat yada yada lifestyle.

For most people, once they commit to a plan, I think it goes well.. When I got married in '86, I suddenly had a whole new can of worms to deal with, besides "halving" all my "stuff". But she was on board, and we built up in those first couple years to a place that made us comfortable. When I retired in '97, the .gov moved 26,000 lbs of our stuff.. and we moved 9,000 lbs of stuff they didn't need to know about..

Jeez.. that was some ramble.. but the point is, lots of good info has come out, and more still can, just ignore drivel and carry on.

BTW, in 4 years or however long I have been here, I have exactly 1 person on my ignore list, is that good?

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 01-30-2013 at 09:35.. Reason: Lurker time doesn't count towards "member" time... lol
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27   #79
Kozel

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34   #80
Unistat

Quote:
...Many people think that if someone sets their acquisition priority differently, then they are a "bad prepper", but it usually means that after they considered their situation and worries.. they decided on a different plan. That is not only their right, hell, it's exactly the way it should be. It's easy to say, 1)water 2)food 3)medical 4)shelter 5)defensive capability But a person who lives in MN doesn't need near the water plan as someone in NV.. so they move the order around.. and the person in NV may not understand the MN persons lack of focus on water.. so they label them "bad prepper".. easy to do...
Yeah, I happen to live in Metro Detroit and so I calculated that the greatest threat is civil unrest. I have planned according to that.

To my friends I advocate a system that evaluates the likely hood, frequency, and severity of various scenarios in order to determine what the best prepping priority is for them.