Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 19:36   #41
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Because you did no not know that it is not SHTF YET. Survivalism begins after civilization goes down the drain but I guess being off the grid you did not get the news that life still goes on as “normal”.

Salt is not a spice really. It is a food preservative. Real survivalist would know that.
Here captain obvious, to give you something to read.

I would take the retired SGT on my team anytime. You,well not so much.

Salt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about common table salt. For other uses, see Salt (disambiguation).

Halite crystals, commonly known as rock salt

Evaporation pans in the 'Salt Valley' of Añana, Spain
Salt, also known as rock salt (halite), is a crystalline mineral that is composed primarily of sodium chloride (NaCl), a chemical compound belonging to the larger class of ionic salts. It is absolutely essential for animal life, but can be harmful to animals and plants in excess. Salt is one of the oldest, most ubiquitous food seasonings and salting is an important method of food preservation. The taste of salt (saltiness) is one of the basic human tastes.
Salt for human consumption is produced in different forms: unrefined salt (such as sea salt), refined salt (table salt), and iodized salt. It is a crystalline solid, white, pale pink or light gray in color, normally obtained from sea water or rock deposits. Edible rock salts may be slightly grayish in color because of mineral content.
Chloride and sodium ions, the two major components of salt, are needed by all known living creatures in small quantities. Salt is involved in regulating the water content (fluid balance) of the body. The sodium ion itself is used for electrical signaling in the nervous system.[1] Because of its importance to survival, salt has often been considered a valuable commodity during human history. However, as salt consumption has increased during modern times, scientists have become aware of the health risks associated with high salt intake, including high blood pressure in sensitive individuals. Therefore, some health authorities have recommended limitations of dietary sodium, although others state the risk is minimal for typical western diets.[2][3][4][5][6] The United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends that individuals consume no more than 1500–2300 mg of sodium (3750–5750 mg of salt) per day depending on age.[7]

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:08   #42
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 1 View Post
Here captain obvious, to give you something to read.
That is the difference between survivalists and survivors. I caught and salted proteins and veggies which I later relied on for survival. You go to Wickipedia of all places to find your “expertise”!
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:52   #43
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
This thread got me thinking that there are a lot of newer people here with 'magic gun' way of thinking - That they are the hero in their own movie - the good guy that shoots and kills his enemy without himself getting hurt.
I've decided that I'm going to be a villian instead.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:14   #44
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
Those people have stopped by here also.
Their plan is usually to take what they want by violence.
PaulMason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:53   #45
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
I like the expression, I believe from Myth some years ago; that he preferred to be "thrivalist rather than a mere survivalist".

Ummmm.....I coined that one.....LOL!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 23:28   #46
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
That is the difference between survivalists and survivors. I caught and salted proteins and veggies which I later relied on for survival. You go to Wickipedia of all places to find your “expertise”!
So perhaps you could point out which part of the article was misinformation.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 23:52   #47
Kozel

I do not give a salted piece of you know what about what The United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends. Nobody in that whole department knows how to salt and preserve one fish or one cucumber.

Salt was a food preservative thousands of years before The United States Department of Health and Human Services existed and thousands of years before United States existed.

Simply put if you think salt is a spice then you are an idiot. AKA “fantasy prepper”.

Salt is food preservative and, in some cases, food additive if diet is very poor in sodium like most vegan/vegetarian diets.

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 00:26..
Old 01-29-2013, 00:55   #48
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
I would rather be the anti-hero and reluctant protagonist but not be the typical hero archetype.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35   #49
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Spices.

Most reliable way to tell real prepper from fantasy prepper. If one stockpiles spices than he is an idiot.

You do not need spices if you are hungry. You need spices to get more food down then you need. For many years when I was semi-hungry or just hungry I dreamt about piece of meat. Never once I dreamt about any spices or sauses.
I guess you never heard the term store what you eat, eat what you store? If something ever does happen it will be stressful enough without having to change my diet as well. I eat from my food stores almost every day, I use spices on those foods so I stock enough spices to keep eating what I like most.

Its a rookie move to think you'll just transfer to rice and beans everyday and have your body function the same.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47   #50
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
I guess you never heard the term store what you eat, eat what you store? .
I grew up in the culture where we stored everything edible. You catch two fishes. Eat one store the other one for later. Every fruit, veggie … everything was preserved. Salted, canned, dried.
How many years did you live on nothing but what you grew? I did for a couple of years. It was just a way of life.

My mother could teach classes on survivalism and I would translate it for her.

I could teach a class on surivalism from survivors perspective…. Will you listen…? Heck no! You are the survivalist! You are way too smart for that!

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 08:15..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04   #51
PaulMason

Quote:
Spices.

Most reliable way to tell real prepper from fantasy prepper. If one stockpiles spices than he is an idiot.

You do not need spices if you are hungry. You need spices to get more food down then you need. For many years when I was semi-hungry or just hungry I dreamt about piece of meat. Never once I dreamt about any spices or sauses.
SERIOUSLY --

IMPORTANT NOTE - Spices and a variety of foods is not a luxurity with young and old people. Studies have shown that with the young and old their calorie consumption declines when they have repetitious and bland food to eat. Calorie needs would increase in a SHTF situation as people do more physical activity. So don't take this lightly.

The taste ability declines as we get older. That is why some older people might spice up their food.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/...topic-overview

So, a good prepper would include spices in their preps.

Last edited by PaulMason; 01-29-2013 at 08:11..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21   #52
Kozel

Quote:
SERIOUSLY --

IMPORTANT NOTE - Spices and a variety of foods is not a luxurity with young and old people. Studies have shown that with the young and old their calorie consumption declines when they have repetitious and bland food to eat. Calorie needs would increase in a SHTF situation as people do more physical activity. So don't take this lightly.

The taste ability declines as we get older. That is why some older people might spice up their food.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/...topic-overview

So, a good prepper would include spices in their preps.
There goes another survivalist who could not make it though the day without Google and Wickipedia....

Somebody who never gone hungry in his life (not on the diet). Somebody who cannot comprehend days, months, years yearning for enough food…..

Spices! Clearest indicatior of a fantasy prepper!

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 08:43..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22   #53
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:

I could teach a class on surivalism from survivors perspective…. Will you listen…? Heck no! You are the survivalist! You are way too smart for that!

Shake the sand from your panties man, your the one saying bad preppers dont stock spices.

What exactly did you survive?
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33   #54
Kozel

Quote:
What exactly did you survive?
Collapse of an empire, way of life, currency, law and order....

All that insignificant stuff…

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 08:38..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38   #55
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Its a rookie move to think you'll just transfer to rice and beans everyday and have your body function the same.
Yep, one big thing about survival is reducing the stress on the body and not disrupting the diet is a huge part of it.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52   #56
PaulMason

Quote:
There goes another survivalist who could not make it though the day without Google and Wickipedia....

Somebody who never gone hungry in his life (not on the diet). Somebody who cannot comprehend days, months, years yearning for enough food…..

Spices! Clearest indication of fantasy prepper!

If you are only concerned about yourself you might be right. But if you have responsibilities for others young and old you want to help them stay alive.

If a child eats just 200 calories a day less then they burn; they will lose about 2 pounds a month. Starvation can happen slowly.

A good prepper know knowledge is a key for survival - it isn't so much what you have but knowing how to use what you have - a bad prepper only knows what they have experienced.

The other thing you are missing is that sharing a meal with others can be a pleasurable and social occasion. Good tasting food adds to that and keeps morale up.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01   #57
Kozel

Quote:
If you are only concerned about yourself you might be right. But if you have responsibilities for others young and old you want to help them stay alive.

Spices are not even mentioned by hungry people. You will never understand it until you are hungry. I do not expect you to understand it because you cannot. I have seen people begging for meat and food in general. I have never seen people begging for spices on it.

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 09:06..
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31   #58
PaulMason

Quote:
Spices are not even mentioned by hungry people. You will never understand it until you are hungry. I do not expect you to understand it because you cannot. I have seen people begging for meat and food in general. I have never seen people begging for spices on it.

You are missing the point about prepping. Prepping is about life and living. As many have said in this thread - they eat what they store, and store what they eat. If you don't eat spices now great and good on you.

I enjoy food. If I'm hungry or starving will I not eat it because it isn't spiced the way I like it? Of course I will eat it.

When the SHTF, I'll be happy that I stored a little oregano, basil, garlic salt, sugar, and salt to make some Italian pasta sauce. It will go great with some Cabernet Sauvignon. That's the way I roll. If it isn't to your liking - to each his own.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13   #59
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:

You sir.. are disturbed in some manner.

The whole freaking POINT of preparing is so you don't have to live on tree bark and sandal soles in case of an emergency.

I hate it that, according to what you say, you have already lived through a pretty severe SHTF. It must have made you very bitter that others were more prepared than you, (or not) and that is why all you do is poopoo everybody who is hoping and trying and planning to NOT have to do the same.

If you have so much great experience, how about SHARING it rather than just talking crap to people.

BTW, I have been hungry.. yes HUNGRY. Like, lost a lot of needed body weight hungry. (165 lean and mean pounds to 127 lbs)

I still like/want spices. At the time did I care about spices? no. What did I care about? I wanted an apple. an APPLE. and I **** you not.. good salads. I bet in the first month or so of returning to "normal" I ate a big salad nearly every day.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19   #60
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Some folk have it the wrong way around.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote