Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:57   #26
Stevekozak
Returning video

This thread is more interesting than I thought it would be when I saw it. Some good points here. Any prepping beats no prepping. "Bad" preppers can become "good" preppers. As has been said, probably the best preppers are the ones that no one knows is prepping.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09   #27
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Good prepper doesn't talk about it.

Bad prepper knows he needs more and either doesn't do anything about it or doesn't have enough and doesn't know about it.

Fantasy prepper says he will just come to your house since you are a good prepper.
While I would state it is definitely wise not to advertise your preps with those locally who do not prepare in a similar manner....or broadcast personal information online..

...there can be both a positive personal & sociatal benefit in advertising preps anonymously. I have networked with many serious preppers who I would not have met otherwise....& many, many times have been told that my pics of preps have inspired others to either get their preps in order or to a higher level.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18   #28
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
While I would state it is definitely wise not to advertise your preps with those locally who do not prepare in a similar manner....or broadcast personal information online..

...there can be both a positive personal & sociatal benefit in advertising preps anonymously. I have networked with many serious preppers who I would not have met otherwise....& many, many times have been told that my pics of preps have inspired others to either get their preps in order or to a higher level.
Yes, and that is what I mean. Share info anonymously is not the same as letting people who know you, know about your preps, and endangering OpSec.

What you are doing doesn't really affect OpSec in that there is a very small chance of us finding you, compared to me telling my neighbors and openly talking about it at work and spreading it around where now my house and family become a known quantity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 13:39   #29
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

A good prepper is in it for more than himself and his family, he is in it for his community.
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19   #30
Mr.Pliskin

I think the difference between a good prepper and bad prepper is experience. The longer you do it the more you learn and the more your perceptions change. Guns are the "sexy" part of prepping. Everyone (generalizing) thinks they need lots of guns and ammo to be a prepper. After all guns and ammo will be all you really need with maybe a little food and water. Then maybe a bug out bag so you can get to the country and "live off the land".

Well now you kneed more food at home just in case, so you get some 5 gallon buckets and some water storage. Well now that you have hundreds of pounds of food at home why would you want to leave. That BOB will be re-designated as a GHB because with all that food and water you'll want to bug in. But what about if that food runs out? Might want to get some seeds and start gardening, after all fresh veggies and herbs will be great on some of this food, maybe even some chickens or rabbits. Now what is someone gets hurt or sick? Hmmm...fishmox, bandages, gauze, asprin ect...

Wow, now you have all this stuff but what if someone wants to take it? I might need to look for other preppers in the area and start networking, but how am I going to communicate with them? Maybe a ham radio or such. Now you have supplies and community to get through a disaster. May have taken a few years but with time, learning and research I figure most people will come up with something like this.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35   #31
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
I think the difference between a good prepper and bad prepper is experience. The longer you do it the more you learn and the more your perceptions change. Guns are the "sexy" part of prepping. Everyone (generalizing) thinks they need lots of guns and ammo to be a prepper. After all guns and ammo will be all you really need with maybe a little food and water. Then maybe a bug out bag so you can get to the country and "live off the land".

Well now you kneed more food at home just in case, so you get some 5 gallon buckets and some water storage. Well now that you have hundreds of pounds of food at home why would you want to leave. That BOB will be re-designated as a GHB because with all that food and water you'll want to bug in. But what about if that food runs out? Might want to get some seeds and start gardening, after all fresh veggies and herbs will be great on some of this food, maybe even some chickens or rabbits. Now what is someone gets hurt or sick? Hmmm...fishmox, bandages, gauze, asprin ect...

Wow, now you have all this stuff but what if someone wants to take it? I might need to look for other preppers in the area and start networking, but how am I going to communicate with them? Maybe a ham radio or such. Now you have supplies and community to get through a disaster. May have taken a few years but with time, learning and research I figure most people will come up with something like this.
Yep, more or less the "evolution of a prepper." Sometimes folks move through this quicker, sometimes slower.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24   #32
PaulMason

OK - I started this thread because I was getting tired of all the 'When the lights go out; it will be war' people and their incessant and lack of perspective talk about guns, tactics and the evil of everyone else but them when the SHTF.

And what do you all do - you show your maturity, insights and reasonable perspectives.

Maybe there is hope for the world.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:27   #33
Kozel

Spices.

Most reliable way to tell real prepper from fantasy prepper. If one stockpiles spices than he is an idiot.

You do not need spices if you are hungry. You need spices to get more food down then you need. For many years when I was semi-hungry or just hungry I dreamt about piece of meat. Never once I dreamt about any spices or sauses.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:06   #34
quake

While not a true necessity (other than salt), I do stock spices such as salt, pepper, even onion powder & some others. Don't "have to" have them (again, other than salt as far as I can recall off the top of my head), but it's sure nice to have. The difference between ghetto "lentils & beans" and glorious "mujadrah"..? Spices.

Kind of like deodorant & toothpaste imo. A person could go a long time sans Crest with no measurable health problems - after all, people did it for centuries - but I'd just rather not. I like the expression, I believe from Myth some years ago; that he preferred to be "thrivalist rather than a mere survivalist". Basically, once a sustenance-level is reached, go ahead and exceed it if you want; no downside other than cost, and surely can't hurt.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:21   #35
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Spices.

Most reliable way to tell real prepper from fantasy prepper. If one stockpiles spices than he is an idiot.

You do not need spices if you are hungry. You need spices to get more food down then you need. For many years when I was semi-hungry or just hungry I dreamt about piece of meat. Never once I dreamt about any spices or sauses.
It really depends upon the SHTF. If, you are in your bunker waiting for the plague to pass you by; you might want to have a some spices so you can channel your inner Rachael Ray to help pass the time.

Last edited by PaulMason; 01-28-2013 at 17:29..
Old 01-28-2013, 17:28   #36
Kozel

The only use for spices in survivalist situation is if you are Donner Party re-enactor (AKA bug out survivalist) and you do not like your buddy so much that you need spices to eat him.
Old 01-28-2013, 17:30   #37
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i plan on eating the bad guys i shoot.....mobile food that comes to you is best.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:33   #38
SFCSMITH(RET)

Well, that cements it then. We use a lot of salt and pepper around the house, and the last time I bought some... I "stocked up"...

So after 30 years of living the life, and working our way to an nearly off grid lifestyle..

Turns out I am a "fantasy prepper".

Guess I will go in the kitchen now and grind some fantasy cracked wheat for breakfast in the morning.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:44   #39
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET)Turns out [I
I am[/I] a "fantasy prepper".

Because you did no not know that it is not SHTF YET. Survivalism begins after civilization goes down the drain but I guess being off the grid you did not get the news that life still goes on as “normal”.

Salt is not a spice really. It is a food preservative. Real survivalist would know that.
Old 01-28-2013, 18:27   #40
jdavionic
NRA Member

Oh heck, I'll play...

Some good prepper qualities -
  • Assesses their own environment to form their own risk assessment and understands that their assessment will different from most others in many aspects...and they don't assume there is a one-size-fits-all solution to prepping
  • Is receptive to ideas and criticisms from others...even EMT (), j/k - you're a good guy.
  • Truly hopes for the best but plans for worst
  • Is fiscally responsible...by that I mean, you're not getting foreclosed on because you ran up debt beyond what you can afford
  • Preps include staying fit, medical, vision, dental checkups.
  • Has evolved well past the camping in woods, killing deer, and ambushes on zombies
  • Has periodically practiced executing their plans for various higher-risk scenarios - e.g., in the event of a possible flood, can you load up all of your highest priority personal effects and survival items and leave in a short time.
Some bad prepper qualities -
  • people who believe that their preps are ideal for you
  • focus on guns & ammo exclusively - but overlook water filtration, food, medical supplies, etc
  • Apparently have the balls the size of elephants and the peanut brain to match where they believe surviving is just like a shoot 'em video game
  • have all the 'right stuff' and no clue how to use - never practice - that goes well beyond shooting. You've got a water filtration system...have you used it before?
With all that said, I think many folks here are 'good preppers'. Sure, we get the ocassional Rambo that ventures in for a visit. However I think they are more the exception than the norm.

We have folks that have a wide variety of skills, and I think it's great that they take the time to share their opinions and suggestions here.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:36   #41
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Because you did no not know that it is not SHTF YET. Survivalism begins after civilization goes down the drain but I guess being off the grid you did not get the news that life still goes on as “normal”.

Salt is not a spice really. It is a food preservative. Real survivalist would know that.
Here captain obvious, to give you something to read.

I would take the retired SGT on my team anytime. You,well not so much.

Salt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about common table salt. For other uses, see Salt (disambiguation).

Halite crystals, commonly known as rock salt

Evaporation pans in the 'Salt Valley' of Añana, Spain
Salt, also known as rock salt (halite), is a crystalline mineral that is composed primarily of sodium chloride (NaCl), a chemical compound belonging to the larger class of ionic salts. It is absolutely essential for animal life, but can be harmful to animals and plants in excess. Salt is one of the oldest, most ubiquitous food seasonings and salting is an important method of food preservation. The taste of salt (saltiness) is one of the basic human tastes.
Salt for human consumption is produced in different forms: unrefined salt (such as sea salt), refined salt (table salt), and iodized salt. It is a crystalline solid, white, pale pink or light gray in color, normally obtained from sea water or rock deposits. Edible rock salts may be slightly grayish in color because of mineral content.
Chloride and sodium ions, the two major components of salt, are needed by all known living creatures in small quantities. Salt is involved in regulating the water content (fluid balance) of the body. The sodium ion itself is used for electrical signaling in the nervous system.[1] Because of its importance to survival, salt has often been considered a valuable commodity during human history. However, as salt consumption has increased during modern times, scientists have become aware of the health risks associated with high salt intake, including high blood pressure in sensitive individuals. Therefore, some health authorities have recommended limitations of dietary sodium, although others state the risk is minimal for typical western diets.[2][3][4][5][6] The United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends that individuals consume no more than 1500–2300 mg of sodium (3750–5750 mg of salt) per day depending on age.[7]

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:08   #42
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 1 View Post
Here captain obvious, to give you something to read.
That is the difference between survivalists and survivors. I caught and salted proteins and veggies which I later relied on for survival. You go to Wickipedia of all places to find your “expertise”!
Old 01-28-2013, 20:52   #43
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
This thread got me thinking that there are a lot of newer people here with 'magic gun' way of thinking - That they are the hero in their own movie - the good guy that shoots and kills his enemy without himself getting hurt.
I've decided that I'm going to be a villian instead.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:14   #44
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
Those people have stopped by here also.
Their plan is usually to take what they want by violence.
Old 01-28-2013, 21:53   #45
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
I like the expression, I believe from Myth some years ago; that he preferred to be "thrivalist rather than a mere survivalist".

Ummmm.....I coined that one.....LOL!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:28   #46
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
That is the difference between survivalists and survivors. I caught and salted proteins and veggies which I later relied on for survival. You go to Wickipedia of all places to find your “expertise”!
So perhaps you could point out which part of the article was misinformation.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:52   #47
Kozel

I do not give a salted piece of you know what about what The United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends. Nobody in that whole department knows how to salt and preserve one fish or one cucumber.

Salt was a food preservative thousands of years before The United States Department of Health and Human Services existed and thousands of years before United States existed.

Simply put if you think salt is a spice then you are an idiot. AKA “fantasy prepper”.

Salt is food preservative and, in some cases, food additive if diet is very poor in sodium like most vegan/vegetarian diets.

Last edited by Kozel; 01-28-2013 at 23:26..
Old 01-28-2013, 23:55   #48
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
I would rather be the anti-hero and reluctant protagonist but not be the typical hero archetype.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35   #49
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Spices.

I guess you never heard the term store what you eat, eat what you store? If something ever does happen it will be stressful enough without having to change my diet as well. I eat from my food stores almost every day, I use spices on those foods so I stock enough spices to keep eating what I like most.

Its a rookie move to think you'll just transfer to rice and beans everyday and have your body function the same.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47   #50
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
I guess you never heard the term store what you eat, eat what you store? .
I grew up in the culture where we stored everything edible. You catch two fishes. Eat one store the other one for later. Every fruit, veggie … everything was preserved. Salted, canned, dried.
How many years did you live on nothing but what you grew? I did for a couple of years. It was just a way of life.

My mother could teach classes on survivalism and I would translate it for her.

I could teach a class on surivalism from survivors perspective…. Will you listen…? Heck no! You are the survivalist! You are way too smart for that!

Last edited by Kozel; 01-29-2013 at 07:15..