Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05   #181
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
I guess I will have to invest in dedicated 5 gals. I have a few for storage but both she and I end up fighting over who gets to pilfer an empty one for other uses. We had some package stored bout 2 1/2 years in wooden ammo crates I got a deal on and they at undisturbed for the whole time. When we moved we found about a 25% failure rate of the bags. I should have gone the mylar and bucket route then.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33   #182
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew
 
concretefuzzynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I guess I will have to invest in dedicated 5 gals. I have a few for storage but both she and I end up fighting over who gets to pilfer an empty one for other uses. We had some package stored bout 2 1/2 years in wooden ammo crates I got a deal on and they at undisturbed for the whole time. When we moved we found about a 25% failure rate of the bags. I should have gone the mylar and bucket route then.
Go to your local bakery or deli in the big grocery store and ask for their empty buckets. They are food safe and have resealable lids.
__________________
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:14   #183
SFCSMITH(RET)
Senior Member
 
SFCSMITH(RET)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I guess I will have to invest in dedicated 5 gals. I have a few for storage but both she and I end up fighting over who gets to pilfer an empty one for other uses. We had some package stored bout 2 1/2 years in wooden ammo crates I got a deal on and they at undisturbed for the whole time. When we moved we found about a 25% failure rate of the bags. I should have gone the mylar and bucket route then.
Yep you need to do some "bucket runs"..

We get most of ours from wallyworld. There are almost always 10-20 cleaned and stacked in the basement.

Also, here, you can get buckets with lids at sLowes and Home Despot for 3-4 bucks a pop.. they work, they don't need to be cleaned, and you know they have them when you need them..

As far as reusing them buckets goes.. and it's funny as we are talking rice.. we reuse them by refilling...

ie. "about" 30 lbs of rice goes into a 5 gallon bucket. Monday we were "out of rice" meaning the gamma lidded rice bucket was empty. We use Basmati rice mostly, which Sam's sells in 20 pound bags. So today, I opened a LTS bucket, moved it's contents to the working bucket, was at Sam's, picked up 3 bags of rice.. here in a bit I will mylar/o2absorber/seal 2 buckets of rice.. So my total on hand rice stores rose by 30 pounds. Do that for a decade or three.. with just about everything.. see what your pantry looks like.. lol. (also our local Sam's had a sale on canned salmon 4 packs.. brought home a couple..)

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 02-08-2013 at 13:17..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:36   #184
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
I suppose we need a road trip to go to Wally world and such. We haven't got much in that category around here. I hate taking the wife to the big city EVERYTHING seems like "a good idea" when she hits the big stores.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:02   #185
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 21,066
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
It is nothing shot of amusing and entertaining! Americans that saw no need will teach survivors how to survive!


You call it “comedy club”. We do agree!

Also ironic a has been russian would try to tell a bunch of people in America how a disaster/emergency would go down. Even though he's the most inexperienced member in his location.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:19   #186
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,645
I'm only on page five, but dang, this took a turn into the twilight zone - and then it got even weirder! Can't wait to finish it!!!!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:48   #187
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Go to your local bakery or deli in the big grocery store and ask for their empty buckets. They are food safe and have resealable lids.
We are on a sort of "waiting list" at a couple of places. We only have a couple of "medium sized" local groceries but my wife does get some once in while from the cafeteria at her job. We just don't go through enough of the contents in this community to have surplus of the buckets.

It's like wheel weights for reloading. We only have one station that does tire work and between the fishermen who cast their own weights and the half dozen folks that cast bullets demand outstrips supply.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:02   #188
SFCSMITH(RET)
Senior Member
 
SFCSMITH(RET)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
We are on a sort of "waiting list" at a couple of places. We only have a couple of "medium sized" local groceries but my wife does get some once in while from the cafeteria at her job. We just don't go through enough of the contents in this community to have surplus of the buckets.

It's like wheel weights for reloading. We only have one station that does tire work and between the fishermen who cast their own weights and the half dozen folks that cast bullets demand outstrips supply.
The joy of living the middle of nowhere is..

you are in the middle of nowhere.

lol.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:11   #189
JackMac
Senior Member
 
JackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 845
remember y2k? a friend shared with me all he had done to prep for that non-event. He then asked what I had done. I replied that I had purchased a box of 45 cartridges for my pistol. He then asked how is that preparing? I replied that if y2k happened I was planning on coming over to his house, shoot him and take all his stuff. Moral of the true story. Zip your lip. Don't be blabie about what you've done. Your friend could turn on you when is comes down to it.
__________________
Armatissimi e liberissimi
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:17   #190
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
The joy of living the middle of nowhere is..

you are in the middle of nowhere.

lol.
Well it is not much of an incentive for those who are comfortable in cities to come around and bother us

We don't have the big stores but if you have to go to town the day after Thanksgiving there aren't any traffic jams
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:27   #191
GAFinch
Senior Member
 
GAFinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Go to your local bakery or deli in the big grocery store and ask for their empty buckets. They are food safe and have resealable lids.
I've just found a local Japanese restaurant that goes through lots of 5 gallon buckets of Kikkoman soy sauce and 4 gallon buckets of mayo (for their white sauce) and is happy to give them away. Both are made of the same material as the ones at Lowes/HD, though the 4 gallon ones are squared off instead of round. Both also have a rubberized ring inside the lid.
__________________
Fear the government that fears your guns.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:07   #192
Donn57
Just me
 
Donn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,066


Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Yah, your population studies include 6 year olds, they don't bag many round here. And, yet gain, they can want in one hand and crap in the other, if they aren't where the deer are, I know which hand will get filled first.

Sit behind your keyboard cross the Country and tell me all about it
Um, yeah, six year olds don't do a lot of hunting, but last time I checked, they consume food. Still means that if only 10% of the people in Oregon survive, there will be 300,000 deer to feed 300,000 people. How long will that last? And the hunters are competing with several thousand natural deer predators, including bears, wolves, and cougars.

As far as being where the deer are or not, you yourself pointed out that there are good hunting areas throughout Oregon. There are millions of acres of national forest near the major population centers. You don't have to go very far in any direction in Oregon to be in the wilderness.

And I may be sitting at a keyboard across the country, but I have no reason to doubt the figures that are provided by the ODFW and the U.S. Census Bureau. The ODFW also points out that the deer population is declining in Oregon and throughout the western states, due in part to an increase in predators such as wolves and cougars.

Laugh if you want, but you're one person sitting in one little corner of the state. My information comes from professionals in the wildlife conservation field who get information from all over the state. Guess who I have more confidence in?
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:44   #193
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
Um, yeah, six year olds don't do a lot of hunting, but last time I checked, they consume food. Still means that if only 10% of the people in Oregon survive, there will be 300,000 deer to feed 300,000 people. How long will that last? And the hunters are competing with several thousand natural deer predators, including bears, wolves, and cougars.

As far as being where the deer are or not, you yourself pointed out that there are good hunting areas throughout Oregon. There are millions of acres of national forest near the major population centers. You don't have to go very far in any direction in Oregon to be in the wilderness.

And I may be sitting at a keyboard across the country, but I have no reason to doubt the figures that are provided by the ODFW and the U.S. Census Bureau. The ODFW also points out that the deer population is declining in Oregon and throughout the western states, due in part to an increase in predators such as wolves and cougars.

Laugh if you want, but you're one person sitting in one little corner of the state. My information comes from professionals in the wildlife conservation field who get information from all over the state. Guess who I have more confidence in?
You still want to rag on this????

OK show me where I said the entire State could or would live on venison.

Go ahead, find it.

While you are at it, look into your crystal ball and tell me the exact details about the upcoming SHTF situation. Show me how it is going to be so different than the Depression of the 30's that human nature will reverse itself and people will flee the soup kitchens of the cities for the woods.

During a crisis we are still going to have politicians (they are like cockroaches in that respect) they will cater to their largest voting base, and where is that, the cities. Do you really think Obama's support base is ready to head to the woods and butcher a deer? To live in a tent since they don't have a home. Now you are showing a fantasy side that is not reflected in reality. The worst that could happen from that is sharp thinning of the human herd.

But all of that is beside the point, because I you can't show that I ever said the population of the entire State would live on venison, that is your fantasy.

BTW did your "experts" tell you about the distribution of those deer? do you think they are in the same proportion in downtown Portland as they are here? Could it possibly creep in to your mind that some areas have lots and others have hardly any? You have a very rigid mindset, almost "Rainman"-like.

If you had any comprehension skills, Don Gump, you would have seen that the thread was becoming useful, but showing a lack of said skills, and your inability to cooperate with others, you have painted a dark picture of your survival potential.

Apparently you also want to dodge the link I posted showing what happens to travelers who depend on the internet to tell them all they need to know.


ETA while you are mentioning the ODFW why don't you point out for readers the difference in the populations of the two different species and their distributions. Also call ODFW and as how they arrived at their numbers and ask them why they don't enforce the poaching laws in my area with more diligence if there is such a shortage?

Last edited by countrygun; 02-08-2013 at 18:54..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:15   #194
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You still want to rag on this????

OK show me where I said the entire State could or would live on venison.

I'm trying to follow this conversation.

Where did Donn57 say you said 'the entire State could or would live on venison.'?
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:29   #195
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
I'm trying to follow this conversation.

Where did Donn57 say you said 'the entire State could or would live on venison.'?
Jeebus, give a Cracker a computer

The alleged percentage of his is based on even 10% of the population going to "Deer are us" and putting in their order for deer burgers. There is no proof even 10% would. that is number he pulled out of his ass. There is also no guarantee that city folk fumbling around are going to get anything but wet and cold.

AND, more importantly, just try and prove that the city folk are going to come down here and thin out our population. We have NOTHING to offer people from out side our County,Even an idiot would know they can't survive in a tent eating deer down here. We have no surplus of anything else.
We will not even get noticed for Government handouts if they exist. We don't have the votes.

We are the dirty end of the stick in this State, there is NO historical precedent for people coming here in bad times, quite the opposite.

Now go ahead and try to salvage your ego by again telling me I don't know what is out my door and you do from across the Country.

If you A-Clowns are making your "preps" based on computer generated models and statistical averages instead of what is actually around you, or where you plan to be, good luck to you.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:47   #196
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Jeebus, give a Cracker a computer

The alleged percentage of his is based on even 10% of the population going to "Deer are us" and putting in their order for deer burgers. There is no proof even 10% would. that is number he pulled out of his ass. There is also no guarantee that city folk fumbling around are going to get anything but wet and cold.

AND, more importantly, just try and prove that the city folk are going to come down here and thin out our population. We have NOTHING to offer people from out side our County,Even an idiot would know they can't survive in a tent eating deer down here. We have no surplus of anything else.
We will not even get noticed for Government handouts if they exist. We don't have the votes.

We are the dirty end of the stick in this State, there is NO historical precedent for people coming here in bad times, quite the opposite.

Now go ahead and try to salvage your ego by again telling me I don't know what is out my door and you do from across the Country.

If you A-Clowns are making your "preps" based on computer generated models and statistical averages instead of what is actually around you, or where you plan to be, good luck to you.
I didn't mention the 10% number, etc...

I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
I'm trying to follow this conversation.

Where did Donn57 say you said 'the entire State could or would live on venison.'?
========

CountryGun,
I'm going to sleep early to get up early to hike in the GA mountains.

Now, to those who think CountryGun and I have issues; think again. Someone said that we had a boxing match going on; maybe so. CountryGun is Mohammad Ali and I'm Joe Fraser. CG trys jabs and rope a dope - see how he interjects different things not part of the discussion. I don't fall for it and keep coming at him.

I'm guessing when CG was working he could juggle a lot of things, sharp, quick witted and maybe a fast talker. I'm guessing again, he doesn't have that now. So, he comes here to take on all comers.

Maybe I'm wrong and he is just a crotchety old son of a gun.

Good night.
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi

Last edited by Dexters; 02-08-2013 at 20:27..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:44   #197
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
I didn't mention the 10% number, etc...

I posted this:



========

CountryGun,
I'm going to sleep early to get up early to hike in the GA mountains.

Now, to those who think CountryGun and I have issues; think again. Someone said that we had a boxing match going on; maybe so. CountryGun is Mohammad Ali and I'm Joe Fraser. CG trys jabs and rope a dope - see how he interjects different things not part of the discussion. I don't fall for it and keep coming at him.

I'm guessing when CG was working he could juggle a lot of things, sharp, quick witted and maybe a fast talker. I'm guessing again, he doesn't have that now. So, he comes here to take on all comers.

Maybe I'm wrong and he is just a crotchety old son of a gun.

Good night.
You are trying to make more out of this, in order to puff yourself up, than it's worth.

It's still real simple.

I know what is here, I know what has been here and you don't . I won't tell you how many peaches you can pick, or whatever the plan is because I don't know your end of the Country. Return the favor.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:20   #198
Restless28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Solsbury Hill
Posts: 16,259
Epic thread. At least 2 epic jousts made it interesting.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 00:02   #199
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,508
Blog Entries: 1


Lets try and keep it civil folks.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27   #200
SFCSMITH(RET)
Senior Member
 
SFCSMITH(RET)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 2,357
Apparently I was completely wrong about the thread being dead.

It was murdered. Preppared for burial. Then the perps drug it back outside and started abusing the corpse.

LOOK, take it to PM's.

Or just agree you have different plans and ideas, and LET IT FREAKING GO.

At least TRY to not look/sound like a 12y.o. typing from your moms basement and mad because Twinkies are off the shelves.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:06.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 796
203 Members
593 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31