Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 20:42   #1
ArlenGunClub

CCW: One in the chamber or not?

Hey guys,
I just got my CHL in TX and am deciding how I will carry my G23. I have heard arguments for keeping one in the chamber and keeping all in the clip, and I'm still stuck on the decision. I want y'alls opinions. I feel uneasy carrying one in the chamber as the glock has no external safety, but I don't want to waste time and possibly alert an enemy racking the slide if it ever comes down to it. Help me Glock Talk.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:45   #2
GlockFanWA

If carrying one in the chamber of a Glock makes you uneasy, why did you get a Glock?

The Glock has an "external safety", it is called the trigger. Keep your finger off of that safety till you are ready to fire.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:45   #3
whoops dude

Gun hot and ready to go. Might as well carry a hammer instead if you're not gonna chamber a round. Your gun isn't gonna get mad and just decide to shoot you in the thigh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:49   #4
Goosemanimis

If you are uneasy or unsure you need more time with your gun. A quality holster may also help.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:50   #5
SiberianErik

Finally a new topic in GG !!

if you search this has been gone over ad nausem.

It usually comes down to if you want to carry a cold chamber, you got the wrong gun.

I CC a Govt 1911 or my HK 45 cocked and locked, maybe you would feel better going that route.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
Old 01-24-2013, 20:51   #6
tnedator
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlenGunClub View Post
Hey guys,
I just got my CHL in TX and am deciding how I will carry my G23. I have heard arguments for keeping one in the chamber and keeping all in the clip, and I'm still stuck on the decision. I want y'alls opinions. I feel uneasy carrying one in the chamber as the glock has no external safety, but I don't want to waste time and possibly alert an enemy racking the slide if it ever comes down to it. Help me Glock Talk.
It's one of the most common question that new, and even longer term, gun owners ask. Bottom line, if your gun isn't ready to go when you need it, it could be the difference between life and death. That said, carrying one in the chamber does increase the risk of negligent/accidental discharge when handling/re-holstering your weapon (which you should be doing as little as possible).

The gun should have a round chambered, yet you clearly aren't comfortable with it, which means you need more time and training handling/re-holstering your weapon.

Or, you can switch from a Glock to a gun with a manual safety, but that still requires training and discipline to make it second nature to disengage the safety on the draw and re-engage the safety prior to holstering.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:52   #7
CynicX

Just to get it out of the way it's a magazine not clip.

If YOU are uneasy about carrying a hot gun then by all means please do not. This isn't an insult its common sense.

Personally I feel a glock should be carried with a round in the chamber (by someone that feels comfortable doing so!). The trigger is fairly heavy plus you should never ever ever rely on external safeties. If you are pointing the weapon at something then it should be a target or something you don't care if it gets shot (ground, etc).
Old 01-24-2013, 20:53   #8
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

A proper holster is an essential piece of the safety mechanism of a Glock pistol.

If, after acquiring a proper holster you still feel uncomfortable, get a trigger block for your Glock.

If you're still uncomfortable after that, you need a Smith & Wesson revolver.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:54   #9
Dcrabtree

I carry one in the chamber. Period. But, if you are uneasy, a great way to start, is with a full mag/no chambered but cocked. Do this for as long as it takes to get comfortable with your gun and holster. After a while, you will find the trigger doesn't magically go off. Then, once you are comfortable, put one in the pipe.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:55   #10
OhioGlock90

In a real life situation where you would need to draw and fire your weapon you will not have time to rack one Into the chamber! Most SD shootings happen in a few feet and within seconds. I read that if someone is coming at you with a knife and they are within 4 feet when you start to draw (with a loaded chamber) you will lose that match. Do some research online and you will see why you should carry with one in the pipe. There is even YouTube videos of people pulling a gun with out one in the chamber and it costing them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
Old 01-24-2013, 20:55   #11
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I carry one in the chamber, may take a lifetime to rack the slide when needed.
I have arthritis and carpel tunnel and sometimes it is hard to rack a slide when I have time and am not under pressure so will not test it when I am under pressure.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:56   #12
Scrappy

If you have to ask this question, then your not ready for it!
Old 01-24-2013, 20:57   #13
ArlenGunClub

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Im confident enough with myself handling and holstering the weapon to not be concerned with an accidental discharge. My CHL instructor mentioned the safety issue thing and said "I'd be scared to carry that thing chambered" so I thought it was a big deal with Glocks. Guess not. Glad to hear it's not and I'll carry it ready to go.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:00   #14
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

OR ............ Carry the gun without chambering a round but cocked. After you get comfortable that the weapon won't go off, maybe you'll feel better about it. It worked for me.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 01-24-2013, 21:01   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

I wonder why nobody ever thought to ask this before?

I carry with a round in the chamber. If I don't want the gun to fire, I don't pulll the trigger. If you can't do that, get some OC spray and a rape whistle.

Most police officers in America carry a Glock, every one of them carry it with a round in the chamber. Many of them d0on't even shoot as a hobby - the gun is just work equipment - yet they mostly manage not to shoot themselves. Those that do shoot themselves do it by pointing the gun at themselves and pulling the trigger.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:05   #16
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlenGunClub View Post
My CHL instructor mentioned the safety issue thing and said "I'd be scared to carry that thing chambered" so I thought it was a big deal with Glocks. Guess not. Glad to hear it's not and I'll carry it ready to go.
The instructor needs some instructing IMO.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:05   #17
tnedator
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
In a real life situation where you would need to draw and fire your weapon you will not have time to rack one Into the chamber! Most SD shootings happen in a few feet and within seconds. I read that if someone is coming at you with a knife and they are within 4 feet when you start to draw (with a loaded chamber) you will lose that match. Do some research online and you will see why you should carry with one in the pipe. There is even YouTube videos of people pulling a gun with out one in the chamber and it costing them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Four feet, you are beyond lost, unless you can fend the person off with one hand long enough to draw. As has been widely discussed, the average person can cover 21 feet in about 2 seconds or less. The vast majority people would be hard pressed to draw and get a round on target in 2 seconds.

This brings up several factors:

First, the importance of practicing over and over your draw and target acquisition (with an unloaded or practice blue/red gun of course). This includes drawing, pointing and directional shooting from the point of your hip, while holding off a defender with your off hand.

Second, the need to have a round in the chamber, because while it's difficult to draw from concealment and get on target in two seconds, it's nearly impossible to do so while also racking the slide during that time frame.

Third, situational awareness. If an attacker is within four feet, and decides to attack with a knife, club, etc., you will be hard pressed to survive the encounter. Most of us are not aware enough of our surroundings on a constant basis, to work hard to keep the distance between us and suspicious/shady individuals, whether that means crossing to the other side of the street, taking another route, or some other action to keep the distance and buy yourself precious seconds if you are attacked.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:09   #18
allegro

G23 in condition 1.

One in the pipe and 13 in the magazine.

G23.3 Carry, G19.4, Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
Old 01-24-2013, 21:10   #19
bennie1986

Load it!
Old 01-24-2013, 21:14   #20
caponec2

there is ONLY ONE reason i carry 1 in the chamber, because it doesnt work reliably with 2

Closed Thread