Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 21:32   #1
Fwdftw

Refinishing Question.

So ive been putting off refinishing my 91/30 for awhile.. And with the purchase of my new 80$ SKS :D which needed a refinish.. i figured what the hell..

Went to walmart picked up some Klean Strip gel and some brushes.. Stripped the finish as good as i could with the chemical. Rinsed em off and hung em to dry.. still in the drying process ( about 6 hours in ) heres where im at.

SKS

Gunsmithing

91/30

Gunsmithing

Question is on the SKS mainly.. when i got the gun this is what it looked like..
Gunsmithing

What in the hell could all that black have been? Burn? Stain? Hell if i know.. it looks like it is still inside the stock. How can i get it down to bare wood.

Im gonna do some sanding tommorow on both of them.. 150/220/ and final with a 350 pad. The mosin will ok i reckon :D What ye say? Im gonna do Boiled Linseed Oil for the finish.
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:49   #2
RPVG

You'll probably be able to tell better after sanding with 150. Might want to start with 120 or even 100 first. If that doesn't get it out, it probably isn't coming out.

Never seen anything like that. It doesn't look like it's the "natural grain" of the wood. I've heard of people bleaching hardwoods, but I've never done it myself. Another option might be filler and stain before the linseed oil.