Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 15:27   #1
MSims

Glock 30s VS Glock 30sf...

Well I carry a Glock G30sf and wanted to sell it so i can get a G30s...

Well i noticed that the frame is identical to the G30s and the slide is alittle slimmer but what is the advantage? 3 ounces lighter?

But then again you cant use a G19/G23 holster cause well the frame is to wide... So the G30sf slide is the same width as the frame so whats the difference?

G30sf equals less muzzle rise and kick versus the G30s...

So how carrying the 2 makes a difference even if the G30s is slimmer? You still have the width of the frame... but 3 ounces lighter... Can you really feel the difference in just weight? cause carrying it will still be the same width...

What do you guys think?
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:53   #2
Scrappy

Right you save weight. I can use my G30 holster for the 19 and 23. Its not as tight when the 19is in there but it works.
So as a G30 owner I wont be getting a G30S for 3 ounces!
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:57   #3
GRT45
Transform & Win

I won't try to talk you into getting a G30S or tell you to keep your G30SF, but here is some information to help in the decision.

Another factor about the G30S I learned from Mas Ayoob. Barrels for the G30 and G30SF, which includes third-party barrels, are not interchangeable with the G30S barrel. I was stunned by that news. Reference: g30s and g30sf, are the barrel interchangeable?

The G30S weighs 3.55 oz less than the G30SF Gen3. When comparing the two with a fully loaded mag in both, it works out to about a 10.5% reduction in loaded weight (30.16 oz vs 33.71 oz).

I've already made my evaluation and the G30S is out of the question to replace my G30SF due to my requirements for caliber conversions. I have two G30 Gen4 pistols on order.

UPDATE: My recent opinions after field testing the G30S are posted here > The New Glock 30S - Pros and Cons

Last edited by GRT45; 11-06-2013 at 11:05..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:57   #4
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

When you carry your gun all day, 3 ozs makes a lot of difference.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:18   #5
MSims

[QUOTE=GRT45;19906536]I won't try to talk you into getting a G30S or tell you to keep your G30SF, but here is some information to help in the decision.

Another factor about the G30S I learned from Mas Ayoob. Barrels for the G30 and G30SF, which includes third-party barrels, are not interchangeable with the G30S barrel. I was stunned by that news. Reference: g30s and g30sf, are the barrel interchangeable?

Ok im confused... Why isnt the G30s dont accept the G30/G30sf barrels or lonewolf barrels? Should it be the same size?
Old 01-24-2013, 16:21   #6
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
you really think 3 ozs makes a difference of the feel carrying all day?
Old 01-24-2013, 16:54   #7
xp220

There are several threads in GlockTalk about 30S. It is a Glock 30 frame with a Glock 36 slide. Many people also tried their own hybrid 30/36 or 36/30 for frame/slide combination. Some are happy and some have problem. My own hybrid did not work reliability. Maybe 30s has some special tune.
xp220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:05   #8
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
you really think 3 ozs makes a difference of the feel carrying all day?

I don't see how 3 ounces can make a big difference. I carry a 31-ounce (loaded) G17 on my right hip 24/7. If it weighed 34 ounces I doubt that I would notice it.
Old 01-24-2013, 18:27   #9
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I don't see how 3 ounces can make a big difference. I carry a 31-ounce (loaded) G17 on my right hip 24/7. If it weighed 34 ounces I doubt that I would notice it.
Exactly my point...
Old 01-24-2013, 18:38   #10
lyodbraun

yeah that little 3oz weight savings is nothing, I have no problems carrying my 30SF, its my EDC and I dont feel the weight at all... I know I wont be looking for a 30S, Id rather get a new G4 30 just for the new grip texture...
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:44   #11
MSims

You cant even use an aftermarket barrel from lonewolf or stormlake or even glocks G30 barrels...

So how is the G30s better than The G30sf... After all these points... Same width when carrying and the thinner slide doesnt mean nothing cause of the width of the frame... More muzzle flip... No aftermarket barrels...
Old 01-24-2013, 19:58   #12
sharp

Quote:
You cant even use an aftermarket barrel from lonewolf or stormlake or even glocks G30 barrels...

So how is the G30s better than The G30sf... After all these points... Same width when carrying and the thinner slide doesnt mean nothing cause of the width of the frame... More muzzle flip... No aftermarket barrels...
G30s should have same barrel as G36 though, right?
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:28   #13
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
G30s should have same barrel as G36 though, right?
That is correct. Lone Wolf offers G36 45ACP barrels in standard length, extended 2 port, or threaded that would fit the G30S, but no caliber conversion barrels are offered for the G36 from Lone Wolf, StormLake, or KKM. StormLake and KKM don't offer any G36 barrels (judging only by website pick lists).

Last edited by GRT45; 04-19-2013 at 12:36..
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59   #14
silversport

no one said that a G30 is too heavy but 3oz. DOES make a difference when carrying all day...does it make enough of a difference for you to pick one over another???...that is a choice YOU have to make...

This is the first I had read about the barrels being different (I suspect the outside diameter may be thinner as it is a purpose built .45ACP and not a slide engineered for 10mm downsized for .45ACP if it is...)

I would have to hold the two side by side and even shoot them together (which I don't see happening for me) to make the best choice for me but I suspect I won't go wrong with either...people have been carrying conversions for years...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54   #15
8ptbuk

Somebody posted that a 36 barrel wouldn't take some brands of night sights (front) do to clearance problems . Wonder if G30s would be the same ???
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12   #16
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:

KKM makes 36 barrels.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27   #17
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Agreed. Weight is a major concern for a concealed carry gun. The slimmer profile would also be a little nicer to conceal. As for being able to use holsters from other guns, I buy holsters built for my carry guns. I also don't buy a gun based on what I can turn it into. If I want a different caliber I'll buy a different gun.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58   #18
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Agreed. Weight is a major concern for a concealed carry gun. The slimmer profile would also be a little nicer to conceal. As for being able to use holsters from other guns, I buy holsters built for my carry guns. I also don't buy a gun based on what I can turn it into. If I want a different caliber I'll buy a different gun.
Point is Ronin that millions of people have the G30sf and that carry why would they go with the G30s... Cause the only reason its 3 ounces lighter... I bet nobody can tell the difference... It still conceals the same width... They should of at least Slimmed a bit of the frame too and well they had enough room to slim it down to accept the double stack... They obviously went the lazy route... All in all i see no point and i wanted the G30s cause it was slimmer... no its not slimmer cause in reality you are carrying the same frame width on your waist... So the slide is what 7 mm thinner... And glock said its the ultimate conceal package... Yes if the slimmed down the FRAME too =)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11   #19
D4RWlN

Quote:
Point is Ronin that millions of people have the G30sf and that carry why would they go with the G30s... Cause the only reason its 3 ounces lighter... I bet nobody can tell the difference... It still conceals the same width... They should of at least Slimmed a bit of the frame too and well they had enough room to slim it down to accept the double stack... They obviously went the lazy route... All in all i see no point and i wanted the G30s cause it was slimmer... no its not slimmer cause in reality you are carrying the same frame width on your waist... So the slide is what 7 mm thinner... And glock said its the ultimate conceal package... Yes if the slimmed down the FRAME too =)
I highly doubt that. I bet many will notice it if using a holster that was molded for the 30s. If you carry a pistol IWB all day, everyday, everywhere its legal to, you will always notice a reduction in weight or thickness IWB. Even more so if you are active with your CCW(working, excercising, etc.) Its like going from a double stack 9 to a single stack. When you look at the difference in thickness on paper it looks minor but once you switch it feels huge. Since they only thinned the slide I'm sure it won't be as drastic but you are still losing some thickness. I'm sure many with holsters made for it will notice a difference. Also 3.55 is close to a 1/4 pound. Whether someone thinks the switch is worth it to them is a personal thing but I do think it will be a noticeable difference if you carry a lot IWB.

If someone didn't have a g30 in some favor or want to use conversions I think it makes sense to get the 30s.

So they basically thinned the slide down to a g36. Now you think they should thin the frame? They did. It's called a G36! If you want them to thin it but maintain a double stack mag and not weaken the grip of the pistol too much they would probably have to switch to thinner metal mags.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30   #20
MattyIce

I think the market for the Glock 30S is pretty easy to understand. If you already have a Glock 30, do not purchase a 30S. If you do not already have a Glock 30, then the 30S is a great option in .45 ACP carry pistols.
Old 04-18-2013, 21:14   #21
JMike

Admittedly, I read through this old thread quite fast but the one thing I didn't see anyone discuss is the fact that the 30S barrel sits nearly 1/2 of an inch lower than the 30SF.

That should result in much lower perceived felt recoil.

Did I miss something?

Last edited by JMike; 04-18-2013 at 21:15.. Reason: typo
JMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 22:14   #22
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMike View Post
Admittedly, I read through this old thread quite fast but the one thing I didn't see anyone discuss is the fact that the 30S barrel sits nearly 1/2 of an inch lower than the 30SF.

That should result in much lower perceived felt recoil.

Did I miss something?
I thinks it's a wash since the 30S slide is lighter and would therefore be subject to greater recoil. We're splitting hairs here. I don't think getting a30S is going to help those of us who already own a 30. The slight change in slide thickness just isn't worth it. Those guys looking for their first .45 might find it interesting. I've never held or shot a30S but I'm hearing a lot of reports that there is more perceived recoil than the older .45s.
Old 04-18-2013, 22:42   #23
JMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
I thinks it's a wash since the 30S slide is lighter and would therefore be subject to greater recoil. We're splitting hairs here. I don't think getting a30S is going to help those of us who already own a 30. The slight change in slide thickness just isn't worth it. Those guys looking for their first .45 might find it interesting. I've never held or shot a30S but I'm hearing a lot of reports that there is more perceived recoil than the older .45s.
Hmm, interesting. It would be great if there is someone that has had a chance to A-B the two and offer their thoughts or perceptions.

Personally, I am waiting for my LGS to get a 30s in stock but if I could get some first hand opinions from a group of people, I may just opt for the 30sf instead.
JMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21   #24
the creech

i have the theis holster IWB for my sweet GLOCK 30sf .. very nice holster also! i walk 6 or more mile a day, by the third day of wearing it you really can't tell you have it on.. and also i have no problem sitting with it on, i have no printing of the gun at all.. i buy a size larger than what i wear, i get the hanes BEEFY TEES i buy the XL then i wash them in cold water then put them in the dryer on hi heat, they come out perfect!!! i work out every day so it helps of not having a belly lol was wearing an owb with this gun it worked well also, but really enjoy wearing the theis holster made by tommy!! and you can't go wrong getting the glock 30sf got it jan.2013 its test fire date was 1/12/2013 have the glock 23 also a little to snappy but still enjoy plinking with it.. but the 30sf is way better : )
the creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:28   #25
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMike View Post
Hmm, interesting. It would be great if there is someone that has had a chance to A-B the two and offer their thoughts or perceptions.
Mas Ayoob has fired hundreds of rounds through the G30S and he is a long-time owner and expert shooter with the G30/30SF. He answers the question comparing the recoil of the G30S versus G30/30SF in this thread over at the GATE Self-Defense Forum > Glock 30S

P.S. How sure can we be of the barrel height for the G30S listed on the website? I find it hard to believe that the barrel height of the G30S is 20mm yet the listed barrel height of the G36 is 32mm. Bear in mind that the website has wrong information. The website lists the unloaded weight of the G30SF and G30S both at 575 grams (20.28 oz.) which is an obvious error that was corrected in the 2013 Glock Annual.

Last edited by GRT45; 11-06-2013 at 09:25..