Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 15:26   #1
maestrogustav

Resale value of a Glock w grip modification

Let's say from one of the best pros in the business-- a hump reduction and texturing will have what sort of impact on the resale value of a current Glock?

Please let us know if you've had experience with this. thanks.
maestrogustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:58   #2
BMiracletx

I have no personal experience with GLocks, but I do know that for most guns custom modifications don't usually add much to anything on resale... and sometimes can lower your resale.

Perhaps on this if you sold it to another forum member who is seeking a grip reduction then you might be okay. Personally... I wouldn't buy a gun with a modified frame or grip... others might.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:05   #3
jakebrake
cracker

normal circumstances, i'd say it's the kiss of death.

these days, put it on gunbroker as an assault glock...and retire.

seriously, photos would probably help to determine how much you'll lose off "normal" pricing.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:25   #4
CincyBrad

Most grip mods, even from a pro, make the weapon look like crap. It will hurt the resale value significantly. When people buy used, they want a stock gun. Changing sights is ok, it's not a permanent alteration, chopping the grip is.
Ohio Glockers #58
CincyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:29   #5
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrogustav View Post
Let's say from one of the best pros in the business-- a hump reduction and texturing will have what sort of impact on the resale value of a current Glock?

My experience has been different than other posters. If its done well by someone known it does not change value as long as the buyer wants and appreciates the mods. Thats been my experience. However, the challenge is that once you do a grip mod you have made the appeal of your gun narrow and finding that special buyer could take a long time.
MB
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:32   #6
iflyem1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBrad View Post
Most grip mods, even from a pro, make the weapon look like crap. It will hurt the resale value significantly. When people buy used, they want a stock gun. Changing sights is ok, it's not a permanent alteration, chopping the grip is.
I agree. Once you make a modification you limit yourself when you sell the gun. I wouldn't make grip modifications if your thinking of selling the gun in the future.

I personally don't like the grip modifications, even when done "Professionally".
iflyem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:33   #7
Mattkcc

I watch the auction sites a lot,semi retired, and have noticed modified Glocks don't do very well. I'm very wary of buying a gun that's been modified, got burned many years ago but the mods were reversible. I've been wanting to get a 21 but will probably get a M&P 45 due to the finger groves not fitting my hand. The finger groves on my 17 and 26 are fine. However, if I get the 21 and modify it it could cost me money down the road. Remember when you start personalize a gun you are doing it to your taste, this will limit the number of potential buyers down the road, also remember what's a cool mod today my not be cool in the future.
Mattkcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:57   #8
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattkcc View Post
I watch the auction sites a lot,semi retired, and have Remember when you start personalize a gun you are doing it to your taste, this will limit the number of potential buyers down the road, also remember what's a cool mod today my not be cool in the future.
excellent post!

and what one person loves, another can't stand.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:59   #9
maestrogustav

Well, that's what I expected--

I have three modified by Lane, and two recently acquired with hump still attached. Slow fire is no problem with either setup-- but when I speed up, the humped guns are all over the place. For me obviously.

The 19 is the only model of which I have two; maybe I'll get my 23 modded and keep the spare 19 stock, and hedge my bets.

But I must say, after decades of P7s and 1911s, the hump really messes me up. I know you can practice your way through anything, but going back and forth can be exasperating.
maestrogustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:08   #10
trlcavscout

I wouldn't consider buying a bubbad up gun of any kind. I don't care who did the work if it not stock most wouldn't buy it. Some people like it but most of those guns go for sub standard pricing.
Old 01-24-2013, 17:36   #11
smokey45

Send a message via ICQ to smokey45
Glocks have resale value? Who'd thunk it?
s45
Old 01-24-2013, 17:39   #12
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey45 View Post
Glocks have resale value? Who'd thunk it?
s45
They do nowadays. The dealers can't keep them in stock.
Old 01-24-2013, 17:49   #13
cfrye11

Almost every mod makes the value go down in my mind. If you mess with the cosmetics I worry about what you have done to the internals.

Colby

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:06   #14
Bruce M

If it was a model I was looking for I could see easily paying $50-100 more for a used Glock done by this place http://www.coldborecustom.com/ compared to what I would pay for a used Glock in similar condition but not reduced. If the reduction was done by anyone else I would be extremely reluctant to even consider purchasing it, if I did the gun would have to be priced substantially less. (No offense to anyone else who does good work, I am just not familiar with your reputation.)

My guess is that if one was trying to sell a popular gun that had a grip reduction by one of the best, that they probably would get a bit more than an unmodified gun but that it might take many months of being patient. An unpopular model, or a pistol done by an unknown person, my guess is that one would end up getting 25-50% less than a stock version.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:08   #15
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

I always thought that when a modification to a gun that was done where material is removed, I would believe that the gun has been structurally compromised and therefore, weakened.

I would never buy one that was done by either a professional or a home brewed one.

I don't think that I have ever seen one that was modified that was for sale in a LGS.
South Fla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:15   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Fla View Post
I always thought that when a modification to a gun that was done where material is removed, I would believe that the gun has been structurally compromised and therefore, weakened.

I would never buy one that was done by either a professional or a home brewed one.

I don't think that I have ever seen one that was modified that was for sale in a LGS.
I am indeed careful to watch out for altered Glocks. Factory new for me when I get a G22.
Old 01-24-2013, 18:39   #17
ignantmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrogustav View Post

if its the gun you want....and the mod's will help you shoot better.......why not?.....just dont sell the gun
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:10   #18
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

For me a permanent mod would kill the deal.
Old 01-24-2013, 20:46   #19
James Dean

If your thinking about selling it I would definitely do it now. I'm not a fan of any modified Glock, but now if any you will stand a chance of selling it.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:48   #20
up1911fan

If done and documented by Lane, Bowie or Boresite i'd pay a premium.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote