Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 19:16   #1
DrtyHarry

Now that I got my lower...

I picked up a RRA .223 lower with the two stage trigger many months back...I got it as part of a trade that I did. I wanted to add a RRA .458 SOCOM upper to it for bore hunting...but decided to get a quality .223 upper instead. Maybe get the .458 later on down the line since it uses the same mags as the .223.

I have been meaning to buy a top shelf upper for it. I have been leaning towards Noveske and DD. I have a few AR-10/15s, but I'm not all too familiar with them. I wanted to learn more about them and build my own...but I don't have the time or the tools to learn and do it myself. So I'm now looking for a complete upper. I shoot mostly 1911s and Glocks...some clay from time to time.

The .223 I have is a really old one (Colt) in mint condition that sleeps in the safe. I don't think it was ever fired. I don't want to make that my range run...I was told what I had is rare and it is very collectable.

If there is an AWB, will I have trouble finding/buying complete uppers in the future? As you all know, most everyone is out of stock of everything. I can pick up one on GB, but the prices I see some of them going for are beyond insane. I'm willing to spend up to $1000-1200. I had a chance to buy a new in box Noveske Light Reece w/switchblock (16" chrome) for $1300 6 months ago and I made the foolish mistake on passing.

After this hype is all over...do you guys think we will still be able to purchase complete uppers if an AWB goes into effect?

My last question is about the BCG. What advantage does a chrome finished one have over the average mil spec one? Easier cleaning? Longer life? Please pardon my ignorance...I plan to read up and study more about the AR platform when I can find the time. Many thanks!

DH
Old 01-24-2013, 19:31   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

A) Any AWB is highly unlikely to pass. B) The current ban proposal is not the last ban. During the Clinton ban, ban-compliant uppers were not hard to get, and pre-ban parts were still made and available for pre-ban lowers. However, build-your-own ARs weren't all the rage, and internet sales weren't as big during much of the early Clinton ban.

So, in short - nobody knows yet. In the very unlikely event a ban passed, AR uppers would be available in SOME form, just no idea what form that might take.

As for your other questions, I'd suggest posting more info on your Colt. Even though you have been told it is collectible, times have changed, and it may not be as special or unique as it once was.

Any mil-spec bolt carrier will be chrome lined on the inside, and phosphated on the outside. Chroming the outside might make it easier to clean, but that's about it. Unless you get a good deal on one, I don't see it as being worth the extra money over a QUALITY mil-spec bolt group.
Old 01-24-2013, 19:47   #3
DrtyHarry

Thanks for your reply plank, I noticed that some of the chrome finished BCGs were selling for a lot more (double) than phosphated ones on GB.

I will take the Colt I have out of the safe and post some pics, I was told the serial number on it was very low....it also uses the old style connecting pin, so I can't just pick up a new different upper without doing some modifications to add it to the lower (if it can be modified...I don't know enough to say). The rifle belonged to my grandfather and has an original Colt scope as well.

I had picked the same Noveske upper that I passed on several months back off of Midway...but today they just pushed it back another 3 months. Ugh...

DH
Old 01-24-2013, 21:15   #4
DrtyHarry

Currently $527...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326903839

DH
Old 01-24-2013, 21:17   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyHarry View Post
Fools and their money...