Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26   #1
Raleigh Glocker

E-Lander vs. PMAG Gen M3 (VIDEO)

I was really interested in these magazines and ordered five for T&E. I compared them to the new PMAG Gen M3 mag, and the results were not surprising. These will be fine range mags for me, but they have their issues. That said, since the E-Landers seem to be more readily available in large quantities than any other brand, I would not hesitate to buy them if you're light on 30 round AR15 magazines.

I would have liked to run more ammo through these, but jeez, I'm in the same boat as everybody else. I have absolutely no way to reliably replace what I shoot, so I had to be conservative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32   #2
oily_oink
###########

Thanks for the vid!

I almost bought some E-Landers, but now I'm glad I held out for some Pmags!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10   #3
Raleigh Glocker

Yeah, these aren't quite junk, but they aren't worth bothering with if you already have a healthy amount of 30rd AR15 mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-17-2013, 17:48   #4
mvician
Lifetime Membership

I bought ONE, I won't be buying any more.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 21:11   #5
bug

do you think after some use it would loosen up or is it a design flaw?
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 00:11   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
do you think after some use it would loosen up or is it a design flaw?
GI mags are also hard to push in when fully loaded. That is why you lock the bolt back and then insert the mag. It looks like the pmag can easily be inserted because magp designed it with some play hence able to squeeze in the 31st round.

Also that dude should have slapped the bottom of the mag instead of trying to ram it in by holding to the sides.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06   #7
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Push-Pull

No SLAP

Last edited by mvician; 01-18-2013 at 05:06..
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13   #8
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
GI mags are also hard to push in when fully loaded. That is why you lock the bolt back and then insert the mag. It looks like the pmag can easily be inserted because magp designed it with some play hence able to squeeze in the 31st round.

Also that dude should have slapped the bottom of the mag instead of trying to ram it in by holding to the sides.

If I would've let go of that mag to slap it, it would've fallen to the ground. It would not even partially seat, and the mag catch was not getting enough friction on that coating to hold it in the mag well. Besides, no amount of slapping it would've gotten it to seat.

It seems that the mag catch cutout is cut too low on these. There are multiple reports of people who can't even seat some of their mags when unloaded and on an open bolt.

I have never, ever experienced a mag that put so much pressure on the mag catch. You saw with your own eyes that I couldn't even eject one of the mags once I got it seated without cycling a round.

From my experience and the numerous reports I've been getting, it has become clear to me that many (if not all) of the mags are not meeting USGI spec for dimensions. Heck, I've read reports from two different people who couldn't even fit an E-Lander into their magwells because the mag body was too fat.

Mine seem to work if downloaded to 28 rounds, but I'm not willing to go through enough ammo right now to really test their reliability. These are the mags that are currently available in quantity, so take it for what it's worth. However, I have not seen a new magazine with so many complaints so quickly in a long time, maybe ever.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Glocker View Post
From my experience and the numerous reports I've been getting, it has become clear to me that many (if not all) of the mags are not meeting USGI spec for dimensions. Heck, I've read reports from two different people who couldn't even fit an E-Lander into their magwells because the mag body was too fat.
You should have stated that in the video.

Quote:
Mine seem to work if downloaded to 28 rounds, but I'm not willing to go through enough ammo right now to really test their reliability. These are the mags that are currently available in quantity, so take it for what it's worth. However, I have not seen a new magazine with so many complaints so quickly in a long time, maybe ever.
Maybe the Israelis should have stuck to Orlite mags.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50   #10
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
You should have stated that in the video.
I'm referring to reports and comments that came in response to my video. Seriously, people are coming out of the woodwork left and right saying that they are having out-of-the-ordinary problems now that they see they aren't the only ones. Some didn't even try their mags until after watching my video, like the guy who had to use a hammer to get his empty E-Lander to fit in his AR lower.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg here. There are some who have mags that aren't a problem, but there are enough having dimension-related issues to suggest that, at a minimum, there might be a production variance issue if not a design issue from the start.

Quote:
Maybe the Israelis should have stuck to Orlite mags.
Here's the best I can figure with this- the E-Landers don't actually seem to be IDF contract mags at all. The promotional verbage says stuff like "designed for the IDF" and "tested by Israeli special ops," but I have found no outright statement that the IDF is using these mags in any significant quantities at all coming from anyone directly associated with their importation.

I have found a few threads where those in the know could've stepped in and clarified this but were conspicuously absent. No big deal- I get how marketing works for "tactical" products of any kind.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:58   #11
.50 cal

I received a dozen E-landers from Mako, the mags I received have a manufacturer date laser engraved and half are marked 12 and half 13, yours appear to be marked 10 and have a different mag catch than mine, I do not have any live fire results but I am able to seat my mags in a 6920 on a closed bolt downloaded to 28, my Pmags definitely seat easier but after letting the springs take a set on the new E-landers I am able to seat them with a firm push, I have heard of numerous problems getting them to seat though on the industry forum I was following
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Glocker View Post
I'm referring to reports and comments that came in response to my video. Seriously, people are coming out of the woodwork left and right saying that they are having out-of-the-ordinary problems now that they see they aren't the only ones. Some didn't even try their mags until after watching my video, like the guy who had to use a hammer to get his empty E-Lander to fit in his AR lower.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg here. There are some who have mags that aren't a problem, but there are enough having dimension-related issues to suggest that, at a minimum, there might be a production variance issue if not a design issue from the start.
Sounds like it's the Israeli equivalence of Pro-Mag or USA Mag.
Old 01-18-2013, 16:14   #13
bug

Quote:

It does sound like the E lander is out of spec... I have had good luck with GI mags after being broke in I can get them in on a closed bolt with 30 rounds.
Of course Pmags and the H&K mags work perfect.
Old 01-18-2013, 17:27   #14
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Like I said above, I bought ONE to try, looks nice, easily fit 30 rounds into. No date markings, stampedwith a 10. Hours later I decided to try it out. It would NOT load on a closed bolt. Instead of just locking the bolt back, I removed it from the upper. Tried to insert it again. No way without using extreme force.

I posted my findings on my fb page and forum. Posted it to Mako's fb page. They removed it. Posted on the INGO forum and then to the big thread going on at ar15.com. Received replies from the window lickers that I was doing something wrong, like loading 31 rounds or trying to insert it upside down.

Got a pissy reply from the Mako rep, who again twisted the story around saying how they've shipped 50,000 mags and that my sample size of ONE doesn't matter. BS

Finally he decides to ask me to send the mag back to them for "testing". I told him, not on my dime, and not until I have a replacement.

After that he posts about how I refused to work with him to solve the problem and again twisted the story around to make me sound like the bad guy and him the nice guy. Then he deleted my post with copies of the PM he sent me and my reply. The guy is a real piece of work.

If these were the last 30 round magazines on earth I wouldn't buy any more of them.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 01-18-2013, 18:17   #15
Raleigh Glocker

Thanks for sharing your experience here. Love the pic!

Old 01-18-2013, 19:22   #16
mvician
Lifetime Membership

After 10 or so insertions into 4 different AR's.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 01-18-2013, 20:42   #17
bug

Thank you gentleman you just saved me money....
Old 01-18-2013, 20:56   #18
.50 cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Like I said above, I bought ONE to try, looks nice, easily fit 30 rounds into. No date markings, stampedwith a 10. Hours later I decided to try it out. It would NOT load on a closed bolt. Instead of just locking the bolt back, I removed it from the upper. Tried to insert it again. No way without using extreme force.

I posted my findings on my fb page and forum. Posted it to Mako's fb page. They removed it. Posted on the INGO forum and then to the big thread going on at ar15.com. Received replies from the window lickers that I was doing something wrong, like loading 31 rounds or trying to insert it upside down.

Got a pissy reply from the Mako rep, who again twisted the story around saying how they've shipped 50,000 mags and that my sample size of ONE doesn't matter. BSx

Finally he decides to ask me to send the mag back to them for "testing". I told him, not on my dime, and not until I have a replacement.

After that he posts about how I refused to work with him to solve the problem and again twisted the story around to make me sound like the bad guy and him the nice guy. Then he deleted my post with copies of the PM he sent me and my reply. The guy is a real piece of work.

If these were the last 30 round magazines on earth I wouldn't buy any more of them.

Black Rifle Forum
Why didn't you contact Mako before you posted negative things about their product? I think that Mako would have shipped you a replacement
Old 01-18-2013, 21:53   #19
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 cal View Post
Why didn't you contact Mako before you posted negative things about their product? I think that Mako would have shipped you a replacement
Is that in writing some where that a person must contact a company or vendor before you make a "negative" post about their product?

I tell it like it is, I don't sugar coat it so that it is easier to swallow.

In my original post about the E-Lander magazine that I received, I did not bad mouth the company or the product. I stated the fact that the mag would not seat into the 4 rifles I pulled out to try it in, without having to SLAM it into the magwell.

Here is my original post

OK, not too happy with the E-Lander
Even when EMPTY I have to SLAM them to get them to seat. NOT GOOD
You can see in the pictures where the finish is wearing off just after 10 insertions.
Tried the mag in 4 different rifles, same thing. USGI click right in, PMag click right in, SA-80 "England" steel mag clicks right in, HK mag clicks right in. Not happy, glad I only ordered one.

If Mako wants to cry that I should have contacted them first for posting this well.....BOO HOO MakoDefense
Old 01-18-2013, 22:21   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I agree. You're evaluating the product, not the importer/seller. If the product suck, then that's what you said. If the importer/seller suck (i.e. not wanting to make exchanges for functional mags, etc.), then that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Is that in writing some where that a person must contact a company or vendor before you make a "negative" post about their product?

I tell it like it is, I don't sugar coat it so that it is easier to swallow.

In my original post about the E-Lander magazine that I received, I did not bad mouth the company or the product. I stated the fact that the mag would not seat into the 4 rifles I pulled out to try it in, without having to SLAM it into the magwell.

Here is my original post

OK, not too happy with the E-Lander
Even when EMPTY I have to SLAM them to get them to seat. NOT GOOD
You can see in the pictures where the finish is wearing off just after 10 insertions.
Tried the mag in 4 different rifles, same thing. USGI click right in, PMag click right in, SA-80 "England" steel mag clicks right in, HK mag clicks right in. Not happy, glad I only ordered one.

If Mako wants to cry that I should have contacted them first for posting this well.....BOO HOO MakoDefense