Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 14:23   #176
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
The heroes I am referring to are the ones we see on TV, that does not negate in anyway the heroism of military, fire, medical and police. The intent of my prose was simple, instead of idolizing people who play games quite well, maybe we should go back to idolizing people that make a real difference in our society and our world.

The men I mentioned as heroes were the heroes I grew up with. They are who I looked up to as a kid, who inspired me to do better not just for myself but for my fellow man. My views are not tainted by the kids around me either. Which is one reason I am always "in trouble" for me being me.

And if you don't think walking on the moon, orbiting the earth and basically strapping your ass on top of a massive explosive device built by the lowest bidder isn't going above and beyond then you can't that to even get selected for such a job is quite difficult indeed. Those men were the cream of the crop when it came to doing their jobs. The best of the really greats.
What did these men inspire you to do or become?
John Wayne inspired me to become a soldier. He never served. He got a waiver. Strange, huh?

I agree the astronauts were the best of the best and did a huge accomplishment, not heroic.
Were they famous because they were the first?

Above and beyond..... Your example reminds me of PFC Johnson. He drove a fuel truck in our convoy as we entered Iraq and took artillery fire as well as crew served weapons fire. He stuck at the wheel sitting on "a massive explosive device". He wasn't a hero either. He was trained, did his duty and returned home safely. Thankfully.

I get where you are coming from. I really do. The people who make heroes out of actors, athletes and musicians are the ones running the big corporations that run those types of businesses. I doubt those people and anyone on their board are under 40.
It is our generation screwing it up as you previously implied.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:45   #177
holesinpaper

Only losers raise losers

But seriously, the last few generations have left this country worse for each subsequent generation -- substantially worse.

The last few generations outsourced most decent manufacturing jobs. Bankrupted the government. Increased government debt to mind blowing amounts. And crushed personal Rights.

What the heck did they expect to happen. The next mythical golden age of America?

Last edited by holesinpaper; 01-28-2013 at 14:46..
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:47   #178
whoops dude

My parents always told me they will help me as long as I help myself (going to school). My parents helped through school financially and I am a recent college grad. I lived at home for awhile at the cost of paying a few things and helping my aging parents around the house. My parents are a huge part of my success and I thank God for them. What's the problem with a little parental support? I'm still very independent, I ask for nothing and I expect nothing.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:55   #179
rppnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
Its unfair to paint the younger generations with a broad brush as "losers", etc.
anything in life.
I agree that it's unfair to portray an entire generation as 'losers'...in my post (page 5), I am writing specifically about what I experienced at my place of employment. However, I stand by what I wrote about our nanny government and the coddling of our children by a progressive educational system and many of today's parents.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:59   #180
holesinpaper

It's also unfair to use a wide brush to paint a whole generation as "the Greatest."
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:23   #181
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppnj View Post
I agree that it's unfair to portray an entire generation as 'losers'...in my post (page 5), I am writing specifically about what I experienced at my place of employment. However, I stand by what I wrote about our nanny government and the coddling of our children by a progressive educational system and many of today's parents.
I graduated high school not too long ago, in 2003, and I have not seen any of the issues that are commonly raised on this board regarding our "progressive education system." Kids failed if they deserved to fail, and nobody pushed them along just to have them graduate. Same thing goes for dodgeball in gym class, tag, etc. And when we played against each other, there was always a clear winner and loser in the end. I have a feeling that these fears of our children being coddled or otherwise insulated from reality are vastly overblown by taking anecdotal evidence and blowing it out of proportion. Yes, there are some "progressive" school systems that do our children no favors, and there are parents who believe that their puny wuss of a kid deserves to win as often as a kid with superior build or strength, but lets not assume that this is the case across the board. For the sake of full disclosure, my little brother is currently in elementary school. The things discusses here are not happening in his school. People have whined and complained that they are being treated unfairly from the beginning of our existence. The only difference now is that there is a medium that allows their whining and complaining to reach the entire world.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-28-2013 at 17:25..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:37   #182
Glotin

“The youth of today love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

- Socrates, ~2500 years ago... apparently this problem has been going on for a while

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:42   #183
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I graduated high school not too long ago, in 2003, and I have not seen any of the issues that are commonly raised on this board regarding our "progressive education system." Kids failed if they deserved to fail, and nobody pushed them along just to have them graduate. Same thing goes for dodgeball in gym class, tag, etc. And when we played against each other, there was always a clear winner and loser in the end. I have a feeling that these fears of our children being coddled or otherwise insulated from reality are vastly overblown by taking anecdotal evidence and blowing it out of proportion. Yes, there are some "progressive" school systems that do our children no favors, and there are parents who believe that their puny wuss of a kid deserves to win as often as a kid with superior build or strength, but lets not assume that this is the case across the board. For the sake of full disclosure, my little brother is currently in elementary school. The things discusses here are not happening in his school. People have whined and complained that they are being treated unfairly from the beginning of our existence. The only difference now is that there is a medium that allows their whining and complaining to reach the entire world.
Did they ever talk about paragraphs in high school?

I joke, I joke.
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:46   #184
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Did they ever talk about paragraphs in high school?

I joke, I joke.
Poor writing skill is no joke.

Ysr, how many birds you figure that smilie in your avatar has done did hit by now? And has it ever missed?

<--- bad grammar used intentionally
<--- no animated clay targets were injured during this post

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law

Last edited by tous; 01-28-2013 at 21:47..
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:05   #185
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
Poor writing skill is no joke.

Ysr, how many birds you figure that smilie in your avatar has done did hit by now? And has it ever missed?

<--- bad grammar used intentionally
<--- no animated clay targets were injured during this post
It's an internet forum, and I treat it as such. Considering that English is my second language, I think I'm doing OK.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-28-2013 at 22:06..
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50   #186
JAS104
NRA Life Member

I agree with you on most points, OP.

I'm only 23, so I can't say much from experience. But, I have been living on my own since I was 17. Moved away from NY to PA, and go back once every 6 months or so. I talk to my Mom and Dad maybe once a week. Everything I have for my Fiance and I , I earned for myself. I guess I was just raised with a good work ethic. I will say that my grandpa played a big role in my development. WWII and Korea vet turned pastor. He taught me to shoot, got me into the boy scouts, bought me my first .22 LR, you name it.
I guess I got spoiled by being semi brought up by one of the Greatest Generation.
My sister, on the other hand, is still in NYC. She works as a waitress, lives with a greek guy in Queens, dropped out of school, does a ton of drugs, and has a half retarded cat. YET- she talks to my parents daily.
Que sera sera, I guess..
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52   #187
GCreggs

Haha Woh Easy now guys! im a 25 year old, completely independent, married, average citizen. I think it leans more towards how the parents treat them. If you baby your kids they're gonna expect to be babied forever. Once they hit the age that they can take care of themselves you gotta let them make mistakes and learn things on their own.

Now sidebar... it may have something to do with the way the younger generation is being raised. My parents were firm and strong handed, in which i thank God they were. Alot of times my wife and i will be out in restaurants, grocery stores, malls, ect. and you see a mom playing the passive role and letting the kid have whatever it wants just to shut up. Although sometimes it works, not putting your foot down creates more of a monster than disciplining them ever will (in my opinion).

So... in conclusion not all 20 somethings are are losers! theres still some hope!
GCreggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30   #188
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
It's an internet forum, and I treat it as such. Considering that English is my second language, I think I'm doing OK.
You are doing great, amigo.

I understand that I oft tend to be crtical of poor grammar and sloppy writing, but poor writing skills and the dependence on popular argot in speech indicates that folk just don't care to be accurate or they are truly ignorant.

By the way, I am an engineer and we tend to be a bit obsessive about accuracy and doing it right.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55   #189
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
... By the way, I am an engineer and we tend to be a bit obsessive about accuracy and doing it right.

The customers get real touchy if it breaks ....

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01   #190
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
The customers get real touchy if it breaks ....

Indeed. Those Navy and Marine pilots could get downright nasty if their aircraft stopped flying.

A current note: we need not worry about giving F-16s to the Egyptian Islamic government. When it comes to it, a couple of F/A-18s will just swat them out of the sky.

Last edited by tous; 01-29-2013 at 09:02..
Old 01-30-2013, 02:03   #191
DMcGrady

Quote:
Indeed. Those Navy and Marine pilots could get downright nasty if their aircraft stopped flying.

A current note: we need not worry about giving F-16s to the Egyptian Islamic government. When it comes to it, a couple of F/A-18s will just swat them out of the sky.

With a trillion a year deficit, we shouldn't be giving them to anyone. They should pay for them! Looks to me like we are giving away about 3.4 billion. That's a substantial amount of machinery to give to an unorganized country.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31   #192
ysr_racer

Sounds like a winner to me

Lehigh University student got a C+ and now seeks $1.3 million in lawsuit

http://news.yahoo.com/lehigh-univers...124956418.html
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:43   #193
spcwes

I see a lot of young ones that have missed out on common sense teachings I had while growing up. Allowing children to be raised by a television or computer/phone is not how it is done and I see it way to often.

Little things like making a teenager pay for their own car and or insurance/gas, get a job if they want spending money or teaching personal responsibility is gone for the most part.

I still see it but not nearly as much as it was in the past. Moral degradation is also running rampant nation wide. Kids growing up need stability and direction in how to succeed on their own. As we get into this next generation I fear that a lot of that will be gone and we will see it get worse and worse.

Also, when all of my brothers and I reached the age of 18 with the exceptions of one of us we were in the Military, 2 in the Army, on in the Navy and a Marine.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 02-12-2013 at 16:17..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:54   #194
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Sounds like a winner to me

Lehigh University student got a C+ and now seeks $1.3 million in lawsuit

http://news.yahoo.com/lehigh-univers...124956418.html
I have a feeling you can find examples of similar things in every generation.
Old 02-12-2013, 16:01   #195
GLOCK19FTW

I agree for the most part, but you're wrong on this point:

Quote:
You talk to your mom every day
I moved out when I turned 18, and I didn't just move down the block - I moved 6 states away.

So yes, I do try to talk to my parents pretty often via skype.

Not every day, but I probably wouldn't decline a call from them just because we spoke the previous day.. ya know?

The rest of your list though? Spot on.. it is
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote