SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 22:59   #101
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
Dating back to the earliest cave paintings, the line of older generations bemoaning the younger one remains unbroken.

Things will be ok, OP.
Pretty much this. There have always been people who depended on their parents long after they should be independent, and there have always been parents that coddled their kids to the point that they can't do a thing for themselves. On the flipside, there still are plenty of people who make it without parental support, whose parents are unwilling or unable to help out, etc. One example should not cast doubt on an entire generation of people.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:59   #102
JW1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It really is still 1940 for some. HH
Yeah, try that in 2013 and she marries off to the drop out mooch than hangs out in the dorms all day playing X-box and smoking weed. (if not a drop-out, a liberal arts student, often very hard to tell apart)

College campuses are often the hangout where some of the biggest losers, "occupy".
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 23:43   #103
9jeeps
Fogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with our public education system. You can't be a loser and pick yourself back up. The schools force kids through the system and never let them fail. Failure makes a person stronger and builds character.
Sounds exactly like the Union workers I used to work around in Seattle.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 00:33   #104
rppnj

"Are we raising a culture of losers?"

Absolutely!!! I'm so glad to be retired! I was getting so tired of the whining. The young people entering the workforce have been so coddled by their parents, the schools and our nanny government that they are unable to accept the mildest of constructive criticism without whining about it. When everything they've ever done is a 'good job'; when everyone gets a trophy; when eveyone wins and nobody loses; when everyone gets a ribbon with a medal and every word is a 'pearl of wisdom' etc, etc. This once great country is now breeding a generation of loser/slackers! When consciencious workers who question 'sub-par' work are looked upon as 'rocking the boat' and the loser/slackers are viewed as 'cool', the country is doomed.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26   #105
The Maggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I will agree with you that job opportunities are not what they should be for young people. I have a son who is between x and whatever came next (Y?). He is a college graduate, works hard and is trying to get ahead.
No one is counting you out.
But ask yourself this. What do you think the reaction of your friends, fellow students, co workers would be if tomorrow you received a letter from the Federal Govt, requiring you to serve in the US military for the next two years? Not by choice, not because you are patriotic, or for any other reason, but because you are the right age to be a trigger puller.
Oh and chances are you will be sent to fight a foreign enemy in the jungles of the Pacific islands, or over the farm fields of France and sadly many of you will never return. Would you or your friends do it?

I have been there and I have done that. So have many of my friends. We went to fight when asked, not told.

We went door to door through Tikrit in 2005. We fought through Baghdad during the surge. We walked the Iranian boarder looking for smugglers. After all of that I am simply a college student looking for a part time job to off set my cost of living while I am a student in college.

My current situation leaves me with many "thank you for your service"s but thank you's don't pay the bills. People are currently worried about the national unemployment rate, OIF and IEF veterans currently have an unemployment rate that are almost double the national average.

WW2 vets came home to a booming economy that was fed by their introduction and their demands into the economy. OIF and OEF vets have been dropped offf into an envoronment where everyone wants to say thank you but thank you does not pay the bills. As a fourth year college student, thank you doesn't pay my tuition either.

If an ex-nco of one of the premier combat units in the Army is regularly met with "you're not what we are looking for"; how exactly do you think a person less qualified than myself (i.e. most any recent college graduate that has little to no work experience) is fairing on the open market right now?

Without a support structure, you would have a lot of over qualified people standing in the soup line right now.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53   #106
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
They "sacrificed" when they stood up to the "forced hardship"
They didn't lay down, didn't cry that its not fair. They picked themselves up, dusted off and got to work.
None of us since then has been asked "as a generation" to put things right again. Maybe a future generation will, and then they can wear the mantel of "the next greatest generation".
Yes, a generation has been asked to "put things right". The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people. The spending is unsustainable and they know it. But suggest that something is done to right the ship and what does the GG an BB do? They scream bloody murder.

Instead they want to finance their current living standards via their grandchildren (and great grandchildren) labor and future prosperity.

Which generation is losers?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06   #107
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Yes, a generation has been asked to "put things right". The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people. The spending is unsustainable and they know it. But suggest that something is done to right the ship and what does the GG an BB do? They scream bloody murder.

Instead they want to finance their current living standards via their grandchildren (and great grandchildren) labor and future prosperity.

Which generation is losers?

This intergenerational war was brought to you by short sighted liberals who couldn't wait to spend other peoples money. Like Lyndon Johnson and his great society. Young people are angry because they have to pay for grandma and grandpa's golden years. Grandma and Grandpa paid into a system for many years and feel they are owned something. Whats the answer? Everyone has to give a little. No generation is "losers". But if you voted to sustain the current administration, you are part of the problem, not the solution.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13   #108
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
Yeah, try that in 2013 and she marries off to the drop out mooch than hangs out in the dorms all day playing X-box and smoking weed. (if not a drop-out, a liberal arts student, often very hard to tell apart)

College campuses are often the hangout where some of the biggest losers, "occupy".
If you raised an idiot, I guess that's what you get.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39   #109
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people."

If you don't count the banking failures & fraud, the Wall Street mess, derivatives, Enron, the mortgage mess, federal/state/local spending and all the rest. And don't get me started on the Federal Reserve policies.

So yeah, it must be all the fault of the old retired folks. Sheesh.

Good thing my parents saved and invested, because my mother's $900/month Social Security retirement check doesn't begin to cover her $8200/month nursing home bill for dementia care. I refuse to add up what the last 6 years of care have cost because I don't want to know.

From '07 until he died in 8/11, my father's assisted living bill was about $7500/month. He should have been in nursing, but we worked around it by hiring health aides to keep him where he was (in the building next to my mother.)

Her Medicare costs $99/mo and her school board retiree health insurance is another $225. Medicare is required OR you don't get to buy the group plan. There's no way around it.

So in conclusion, if you're going to insult ALL the old folks, you'd better get your facts straight first.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00   #110
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people."

If you don't count the banking failures & fraud, the Wall Street mess, derivatives, Enron, the mortgage mess, federal/state/local spending and all the rest.
Even when you count that stuff, the economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to old people.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08   #111
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
I have been there and I have done that. So have many of my friends. We went to fight when asked, not told.
You, maybe, but collectively? Impose a draft right now and it would make the draft card burners of the 60's look like beginners. Multiply draft resistance in 1968 by about 20,000,000. Of course, the resistance is so strong, we couldn't even impose a draft right now.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08   #112
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
Yes, losers and ignorant cowards.
How's that sensitivity training going for ya?

CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15   #113
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I have three boys. I think they'll all turn out well, and not like the kid the OP posted about. Parenting isn't easy, but if you want good kids you've got to be a good parent. Raise 'em right.

Just got a report card for my oldest. All A's and B's. I'm ok with that (A's in math, science and social studies). Plus he's in the Advanced Program (got in based on rocking some test scores). Plus he's a very skilled shooter at a young age. Some kids are spoiled brats. Spend some time with your kids, teach them right and wrong, and they'll be ok. I'm looking forward to basketball games tomorrow (both of my big kids are playing in leagues).

p.s. I don't think starting my oldest in karate at age 3 hurt either.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16   #114
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
...but I am shocked by their lack of self-sufficiency and decisiveness. I suppose that every new generation seems that way to the older one, but with this being my first direct exposure to it, the disparity is startling.
I have the same feelings about someone a decade younger than me, but then remember that I went through the same transitions that they're going through. Were you truly that much different at their age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
The "old and wise" are the ones who voted us into this mess in the first place. If the "old and wise" were truly wise, they'd let Social Security and Medicare die instead of insisting on driving the nation into bankruptcy or mortgaging the future work of their grandkids.
Yep. Neither Romney nor Obama were interested in touching Medicare/Social Security with a ten foot pole during the debates. Too much spending? What's that?
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54   #115
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
That's why you send your daughter to college. To fall in love, and marry, a good professional man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
It worked for my Mom, and my daughter.

(They both have degrees and married successful mates.)

It blows to do it right.

(Or, just send your daughter to the bar, or downtown, and see what she comes home with.)
So... basically... the only two options for women who are "doing it right" are high-class hooker and low-class hooker?

Are all the non-dependent, capable, and self sufficient women "doing it wrong?"
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55   #116
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
How's that sensitivity training going for ya?

Not going well apparently... caused someone else to wet themselves when I whipped out my Gerber to solve a technical problem. Loved the look of terror on his face... made my day! Man... I am such a meanie!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12   #117
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Not going well apparently... caused someone else to wet themselves when I whipped out my Gerber to solve a technical problem. Loved the look of terror on his face... made my day! Man... I am such a meanie!
Just what problem do you solve with baby food?

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16   #118
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
Just what problem do you solve with baby food?
The Okie Corral
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38   #119
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Hopefully the school doesnt have a "weapons/knife" policy in place or I would imagine another trip to HR is in your future.

Dude, you have GOT to find another place to live and work.
No sarcasm meant
You really seem unhappy there.

GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40   #120
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
.... Then she asks her mom, "When is it my turn to win?"
Reminds me of our weekly bicycle offroad uphill races in my childhood, and one day one of my cousins almost burst out into tears crying out "when will I ever win "

Our respons was "when you quit sucking"
We ended up in a fist fight. Not sure who won the mutual ass whuppin but he sure as hell never won the bike race

Today he is a successful buiness man and makes 10 times the money I do
Old 01-25-2013, 13:58   #121
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
So... basically... the only two options for women who are "doing it right" are high-class hooker and low-class hooker?

Are all the non-dependent, capable, and self sufficient women "doing it wrong?"
I think professional dual-income families fit into the "doing it right" category.

If you have an abundance of hookers in your family, you can probably find a support group to deal with the emotions.

Unless you wear a shiny purple suit, fuzzy hat and gold chains.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 14:29   #122
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
The Okie Corral
Oh.

<--- Gerber man as well
<--- consumed Gerber baby food as a baby
<--- wonders what the apricots did to get strained to this day

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 16:11   #123
jdsumner

M-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tHIS guy on the 'net called me a loser!
Can you bring my speghettio's down when you come to get my laundry?
and turn the light out, it puts a glare on the tv!

dan
jdsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 17:08   #124
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Hopefully the school doesnt have a "weapons/knife" policy in place or I would imagine another trip to HR is in your future.

Dude, you have GOT to find another place to live and work.
No sarcasm meant
You really seem unhappy there.

They have a knife policy but my multi-tool is exempt (already had this addressed when I started here) it's exempt due to the fact it's a multi-tool and I can't simply flip the knife out plus it's not over 4 inches (I think that's right...).
Old 01-25-2013, 17:20   #125
Green Mountain Boy

25 Been on my own for 6 1/2 years. Parents helped with school finances but I also carried a great deal of that weight myself. I am now further along professionally than most folks are at 30. Momma stopped doing my laundry before I ever left the house. I was independant well before my teenage years.

I have the highest respect for my parents and speak with them both often bud dependancy isn't part of the equation.

Don't give up on all of us please.

Regards, GMB

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote