GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 16:05   #1
johnstein11

Ever order something, then find out later the item is not in stock?

This is actually the first time it has happened to me. Other places I have been too have a very accurate online inventory. A friend of mine texted me a good deal for a Eotech XPS2-0 for $426 shipped. It had said in stock when we both placed our orders. The next day, however, I get an email to call them. Well, it turns out they were out of stock. They were very apologetic and offered to cancel the order, or just have me wait for it to be back in stock again and lock in the price.

Overall, I am happy they emailed me and let me lock in the price. I don't mind waiting 4-6 weeks or whenever, and they will not charge my CC till it ships.

I've heard of others, though, from other sites turning into a pain. Is this pretty much everyone else's experience?
johnstein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:11   #2
AsSeenOnTV

Botox Tactical does that to me all the time, but when they do have the stuff I need in stock, its hard to beat their price plus free shipping. Its a love/hate relationship with them for me.

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 02-11-2013 at 16:11..
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:26   #3
trenchgun

Yep, AR-15 & AK-47 Magazines!!
Old 02-11-2013, 16:31   #4
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Yes. It happens. More often with small shops though. Real-time inventory is not always a cheap or easy thing to do.

When I did tech support for retail software, it was common for a lot of shops to try to keep their inventory updated at least once an hour, but some were only able to do it once a day.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:32   #5
rl356

Some sites don't even offer to show whether something is in stock or not. You find out later that that was the case when you wait over a month for an item.
rl356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:18   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

It angers me greatly.
This day in age there is no call for that.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:44   #7
RonS

I usually remember to check stock. If someone stiffed me by not shipping something that was listed as in stock when I ordered it I would not go back no matter how good their price was. I usually have good luck. I ordered a sleeping bag, Esbit stove/cookset and a couple packs of Esbit fuel tabs from three different companies. Two out of three are already in my bag in the Jeep and the cookset is scheduled by USPS tomorrow according to the tracker.
Old 02-11-2013, 18:56   #8
nightstalker865

I have come across this with the last three items I've tried to order from LaRue. It's very annoying when shops don't have inventory updates built in to their site. All three orders were canceled and I found the items in stock elsewhere.
nightstalker865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:06   #9
TransAm-98

I've run into stuff like that plenty of times. I once ordered a tubular k-member for my car on a holiday sale. It took me about 6 weeks to finally get it. Luckily I wasn't in a rush.

Also, we use Summit Racing a lot for work. It's nice being able to order before 7 pm and receive the part the next day here in California. Except when you get an E-mail the next day saying that it's coming from the Ohio location. That has thrown off our schedule more than a few times.
TransAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:09   #10
byf43
NRA Life Member

Call it 'urine poor planning', but, I only had the 3 magazines that came with my G26.
I ordered several from Natchez Shooters Supply, and they were listed as "In Stock".

Two days later, I get a call, stating that they aren't "in stock'.
"Fine. Put them on backorder and ship when they are available."

Two days later, I get the rest of my order along with an invoice stating that they have re-imbursed my monies and that the order for 4 G26 magazines have been canceled!!!!!
In over 25 years of doing business with them (closer to 30 years!), they've never done this.

Ordered the G26 magazines from Glockmeister.
"In Stock". Get an e-mail 3 days later, stating that they weren't in stock.
Do I want to backorder???

Duh! Yes, please.
Got notification that they are shipped, last Friday.

Sign of the times, I suppose.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:14   #11
sciolist

I've had a few incidents with vendors in the past few weeks that really left a lot to be desired. These are all companies I've done business with before, and had a favorable opinion of.

It's irritating. I'm the kind of person that likes to cultivate relationships with vendors.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:56   #12
johnstein11

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a cost thing to have real time inventory as cgwahl mentioned. I know buds does, but the smaller retailers I'm sure have less sophisticated systems. Oh well, as long as I have locked in the price and they don't charge my credit card until it ships, I am ok with that.
johnstein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:07   #13
All Pro Sports Hero
Glock Star

Every time I've ever orderd from Sportsman's Guide. Awful.
All Pro Sports Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:56   #14
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Pro Sports Hero View Post
Every time I've ever orderd from Sportsman's Guide. Awful.
I confess to not having ordered much from them since they were bought out by some French company a few years back.
Before that though I had never had many problems with them to note.

The only thing that comes to mind was a pair of boots I ordered that came in the wrong size. They paid return shipping back and sent the right ones out over night.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote