Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2012, 18:25   #1
Rcsteffen

CCW at the bank

Stopped into my credit union the other day (don't go there much, most transactions are automated), and noticed "the sign" on the door. I returned to my car, left my gun locked inside, and went back to finish my business. Didn't say anything while I was there because I'm recovering from surgery and didn't feel like having a chat just then.

I went to their FB page and left a polite comment about my experience, and questioned their reasons for prohibiting legal carry. Their response was that ccw isn't legal in banks in Ohio and they are required by law to post the signs. All I've read says this isn't true, and I regularly carry at PNC branches locally. I replied that I could not find this info in the code, and that is was a corporate decision that could impact their membership. Again, all politely.

Ohioans, am I wrong? Did I mis-read the code somehow? I am new to ccw this year, and would hate to be regularly breaking the law, or dispensing incorrect information.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 19:08   #2
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsteffen View Post
Stopped into my credit union the other day (don't go there much, most transactions are automated), and noticed "the sign" on the door. I returned to my car, left my gun locked inside, and went back to finish my business. Didn't say anything while I was there because I'm recovering from surgery and didn't feel like having a chat just then.

I went to their FB page and left a polite comment about my experience, and questioned their reasons for prohibiting legal carry. Their response was that ccw isn't legal in banks in Ohio and they are required by law to post the signs. All I've read says this isn't true, and I regularly carry at PNC branches locally. I replied that I could not find this info in the code, and that is was a corporate decision that could impact their membership. Again, all politely.

Ohioans, am I wrong? Did I mis-read the code somehow? I am new to ccw this year, and would hate to be regularly breaking the law, or dispensing incorrect information.
I went to Handgunlaw.us and didn't see where financial institutions were exempt from CCW. What did your CCW course tell you? I'd suggest you go to your governing authority (here it's the state patrol) and review laws regarding your state.

In my state it's illegal to enter a financial institution with CCW. Your option is to just go thru the drive thru...
Old 07-30-2012, 22:39   #3
JuneyBooney

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...w-legal-permit

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_oh_2.htm

This has bars etc and basically you were not told the correct info if this is correct.. I will edit if I find more state law but the sign if posted would require you to not carry and then if learned they would just tell you to leave in all probability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:

Last edited by JuneyBooney; 07-30-2012 at 22:42..
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 23:45   #4
ronin.45

I carry in Chase banks all the time. Banks are private property and it is up to each bank or corporate policy as to whether they are posted. They are not covered by the law like schools and government facilities. I'd switch banks.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57   #5
TSiWRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
I carry in Chase banks all the time. Banks are private property and it is up to each bank or corporate policy as to whether they are posted. They are not covered by the law like schools and government facilities. I'd switch banks.
^ This.

I bank at KeyBank.

It's corporate policy, not Ohio law.

And as ronin.45's post implied, if they choose to post, as a law-abiding citizen, Rcsteffen, we're obligated to follow the signage, just as you did.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18   #6
Rcsteffen

Another poster backed up my findings. The CU said they would check with their operations dept further. I thanked them for keeping an open dialogue on the subject and told them I understand that change doesn't happen overnight, but that it might never happen if we don't ask questions now and then.

I've been a member there since 05, but just got my ccw in Jan, so it wasn't really something I noticed before. My business with them is complete in a couple months. I'll wait till then to make any decisions.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:40   #7
ESAFO

i bank with 1rst national bank & they have no sign on the door in my town.
Weatherby 12ga
Rem 597 .22 & M&P 22
ESAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33   #8
ca survivor

When I go to banks I'm taking $$$$ out, for sure I'm CCW, always carry never tell.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55   #9
tnedator
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
always carry never tell.
What does this mean, specifically in states where signs carry the force of law. I ask, because a lot of people new to concealed carry come to threads like this to understand what they can and cannot do.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02   #10
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What does this mean, specifically in states where signs carry the force of law. I ask, because a lot of people new to concealed carry come to threads like this to understand what they can and cannot do.
New to CCW or not, it is up the the INDIVIDUAL to seek correct information concerning their own state's regulations.
The Attorney General's office in your own state is the correct place to request this information.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42   #11
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
In the state of Florida an individual posted sign don't hold any force of law, IF you are made all they can do is ask you to leave, in a bank of course the account will go with me, always check your state laws.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32   #12
TSiWRX

In OHIO, where this post was OP'ed and is placed into its proper sub-Forum, unfortunately, such signage, if properly posted, do hold the force of law.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39   #13
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
In OHIO, where this post was OP'ed and is placed into its proper sub-Forum, unfortunately, such signage, if properly posted, do hold the force of law.
Obviously, the OP's CCW instructor dropped the ball along the way.....
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50   #14
TSiWRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Obviously, the OP's CCW instructor dropped the ball along the way.....
^ ?

I thought the OP did just fine (and that his Ohio-CHL instructor did just fine, too)....

Am I missing something?