Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 15:48   #41
quake
Senior Member
 
quake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 8,045
Big fan, especially the 1892 variants in magnum-handgun calibers.

Top to bottom; 20" stainless in .454 Casull, 16" large-loop carbine in .44 magnum, and 16" carbine in .357 magnum with scout-mounted red dot.
General Firearms Forum

The .454 from a rifle, even though it has the stigma of being "just a handgun caliber" to some, is actually between the .30-06 and .300 win mag power-wise. Pushes a 240-grain bullet at 2430 fps, measured from my gun; for more than 3,100 ft/lbs of energy.

Even the lowly .357 from the short 16" barrel puts out more than a thousand ft/lbs of energy; more than adequate imo for a whole lot of things.

They can also be fun to tinker with. Same 16" .357 carbine, with suppressor in place:
General Firearms Forum
Running just-subsonic 158-grain handloads, it's putting out slightly more power than a .45 govt model shooting hardball, yet is quieter than my gamo pellet rifle. Makes a great night-time nuisance-critter gun out in the country.
__________________
"The best a man can hope for is a chance to prove that the good lord didn't make a mistake putting him here in the first place." - Will Sonnett

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 14:02   #42
DPris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 824
JM is NOT a guarantee the entire gun was built at the old Conn plant.
Remington continued using JM barrels from the old plant in the Remington plant till those barrels were gone.
There are Rem Marlins out there with JM barrels.
You still have to inspect carefully in person.
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:29   #43
curiousgb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
You can't have just one.

General Firearms Forum
curiousgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:23   #44
Darkangel1846
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,736
Had Rossi 38/357....dumped it as it was a POS!
Have several LA in .45 colt, Navy arms ETC
Have a standard 336 Marlin in 30-30...great rifle. Have a Marlin in 45/70 CB....outstanding rifle but kicks like a mule.(gotta put a packmeyer decelorator on it.)
Best one I've see is this one
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/336.asp

it comes in several cals 30-30, 308, 444
There is a new 30-30 LA ammo called Leverevelution that adds an extra 3 or 4 hundred FPS to the standard 30-30.
You can't go wrong with these rifles.
__________________
Peter 5:8
"Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."
Darkangel1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:34   #45
chewybaca67
Senior Member
 
chewybaca67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,310
Send a message via AIM to chewybaca67 Send a message via Yahoo to chewybaca67
I love all my lever guns, Marlin stainless 45-70 guide gun, stainless 44-mag, 357 mag, 30-30, Henry .22 rf and Winchester Trapper in 44 mag (which I'm sadly selling). They remind me of summers on the Rez riding horse back and sheep herding with my uncles. Something special about having a long gun in the same cal. as a packin' revolver. Also something special about actually being part of the cycling action.
__________________
"Come out and fight!................It is a good day to die."
Chief Dan George
chewybaca67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:35   #46
Upstate Glocker
Senior Member
 
Upstate Glocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 247
I've got a couple Marlins in .44mag, but my Browning BLR is my favorite lever. IMHO Browning is much better manufactured, smoother action and built strong for .308 which you can upload or download depending upon needs. The BLR is available in a wide range of calibers. The Marlins are fun plinking guns and as has been pointed out the .44mag has harvested many whitetails and hogs. I just like the BLR in .308 as a top of the line lever.
Upstate Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:54   #47
UtahIrishman
BLR
 
UtahIrishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,358


Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Glocker View Post
I've got a couple Marlins in .44mag, but my Browning BLR is my favorite lever. IMHO Browning is much better manufactured, smoother action and built strong for .308 which you can upload or download depending upon needs. The BLR is available in a wide range of calibers. The Marlins are fun plinking guns and as has been pointed out the .44mag has harvested many whitetails and hogs. I just like the BLR in .308 as a top of the line lever.
I'm in agreement. I love my BLR. Only drawback is they are a bit pricey. If on a budget I think a Marlin is a good choice
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 18:29   #48
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor
 
MrGlock21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,202


Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Big fan, especially the 1892 variants in magnum-handgun calibers.

Top to bottom; 20" stainless in .454 Casull, 16" large-loop carbine in .44 magnum, and 16" carbine in .357 magnum with scout-mounted red dot.
General Firearms Forum

The .454 from a rifle, even though it has the stigma of being "just a handgun caliber" to some, is actually between the .30-06 and .300 win mag power-wise. Pushes a 240-grain bullet at 2430 fps, measured from my gun; for more than 3,100 ft/lbs of energy.

Even the lowly .357 from the short 16" barrel puts out more than a thousand ft/lbs of energy; more than adequate imo for a whole lot of things.

They can also be fun to tinker with. Same 16" .357 carbine, with suppressor in place:
General Firearms Forum
Running just-subsonic 158-grain handloads, it's putting out slightly more power than a .45 govt model shooting hardball, yet is quieter than my gamo pellet rifle. Makes a great night-time nuisance-critter gun out in the country.
Nice guns!
Is your 454 a Rossi? The Puma seem to be discontinued, for a while I have trouble finding a new one.
__________________
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face.
(Thomas Sowell)
MrGlock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:18   #49
tedwhite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Bisbee Arizona USA
Posts: 477
I have one of those POS Rossi Model 92 38/357s DarkAngel1846 referred to. Oddly - must be an aberration of some sort - mine works flawlessly and is as accurate as any rifle I've ever owned. I like the handgun calibers as I have a Smith&Wesson Model 19 so I only need one kind of ammo. Recently, I also like the continued availability of 38/357. I like the iron sights. I like the fact that, when I'm hiking out in the bush here on the Mexican border I don't freak out the Border Patrol folks (as I did when I had a black rifle).
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:23   #50
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite View Post
I have one of those POS Rossi Model 92 38/357s DarkAngel1846 referred to. Oddly - must be an aberration of some sort - mine works flawlessly and is as accurate as any rifle I've ever owned. I like the handgun calibers as I have a Smith&Wesson Model 19 so I only need one kind of ammo. Recently, I also like the continued availability of 38/357. I like the iron sights. I like the fact that, when I'm hiking out in the bush here on the Mexican border I don't freak out the Border Patrol folks (as I did when I had a black rifle).
You Sir, have it all together in a practical way
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:54   #51
Glock.G27
Glock 27 Rocks
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
I have a 1995 Marlin 30AS 30-30. I feel it will handle anything I will ever need a rifle for, other than a .22lr. Plus it just looks cool.

I tell friends it is my AAR-30, Appalachian Assault Rifle.
Glock.G27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:34   #52
gjk5
Pinche Gringo
 
gjk5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Grand Junction Colorado
Posts: 9,612
You cannot go wrong with Marlin in a pistol caliber. I have a Win Trapper in .44, but much prefer my Marlin in the same caliber.

Lever guns are addictive, you will find yourself buying a revolver to match a lever or vice versa.

I am ditching a .41 mag Marlin and a .44 Win Trapper right now (like the marlin .44 better and cannot find a good deal on a .41 Smith anywhere)
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:03   #53
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,837
I always sneered at them. Now I can't stop acquiring them. I even want a Ranch Hand for some unexplainable reason.

My latest: 1965 Marlin 336RC. I named her "Patina"

General Firearms Forum
frank_drebin is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:12.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,043
311 Members
732 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31