Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 20:22   #1
VinnieD

Scratch building an AK. Input needed.

So a friend and fellow forumite here at GT pointed out where affordable AK-47 blanks could be purchased. I've since acquired one with the intent of gradually assembling an AK as a backburner project. Before I get started though, I'd like to ask around here for general advice. So questions are as follows.

Where is the basic idiot's guide to this? Who has the best instructions? Video is good, parts lists and diagrams would also be helpful. I've looked up a bit, but most of what I've found are more in depth discussions of various options for experienced builders.

Additionally feel free to mention any common pitfalls first timers fall into, that I should try to avoid.

I'm using an 80% blank to begin with. It requires a bit more drilling to be ready for construction, and I'll soon have access to a drill press. It could also use heat treating. Lastly as far as screws vs. rivets goes, I'd prefer screws, as I like to have the option of quickly taking them back out if I mess up.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a bare bones AK build just to have an AK and the learning experience of having constructed one.

As always all advice is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 20:57   #2
Tippyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
Lastly as far as screws vs. rivets goes, I'd prefer screws, as I like to have the option of quickly taking them back out if I mess up.
Go to Ak-builder.com, Ak files, etc.

Don't use screws, btw. From what I've read on tghe "screws vs rivets" threads, do it once, do it right.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 22:42   #3
p01ic3m4n

Don't plan to mess up, because you drill and tap for screws. Next size up would stick out like a sore thumb. Mine has all rivets, except for a screw on each side just in front of the magazine holding the front trunnion. They are in threaded holes with loctite, and are not going anywhere. I wish I'd used screws for the trigger guard as well; it would have made it look cleaner.
p01ic3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37   #4

Rivets only. No screws.
Nuff said.
640400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 15:26   #5
NW-Warlord

I will also second the motion to use rivets only. Also if you do not know anybody with the proper tools (spot welder, hydraulic press... etc) it will get expensive quick. I spent over a grand to do my first build. It can be done cheaper, but I wanted some extra tools anyhow.

I am trying to find the instructional I used years ago, but can not seem to find it. Sorry. If you have specific questions I would be more than happy to help. Send a PM if you want.
NW-Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33   #6
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

I'd be very interested if you'd keep a photo-journal of your project.