SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2013, 14:47   #101
ESAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemboy View Post
Well, I am not in Ohio(Intermountain region for me) but I was able to buy two new Glocks(A G26 and G32gen4) just two weeks ago for 500 and 550 dollars, respectively.

Guess what I am saying is that I don't think the distributors are gouging us,but some of the retail folks certainly are.

All that being said, nothing wrong with being loyal to a lgs that has been good to you in the past.
yeah depending on the dealer 1 you go into will say the distributor raised there price, so now we have to up our anti along to you.
then another will say no they have'nt raised there prices any, it's just that they can't get them.
so the million dollar question is, who do you believe???
yeah i don't plan on never going back to them in the future once all this crap settles down, but to have something like that priced the way they do it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
.223 DPMS CAMO, Weatherby 12Ga
Remington 597 .22
ESAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 18:13   #102
kasch_hunter

This will be my first post. At the outset I will say that I have been a lurker here for quite some time and have appreciated the collective wisdom of the many posters who have enhanced my enjoyment of my Glocks. This is an excellent Forum.

By way of background I am from Montana and have bought and sold my share of guns (shotguns, rifles, and handguns) and I am old enough to have seen the ebb and flow to gun and ammo prices/availability. I wanted to address the “Glock drought” in the context of the buying panic which currently exists and the claims of “gouging” as it relates not just to Glocks but to many other guns and ammunition.

I remember well the panic that occurred 4 years ago shortly before and certainly shortly after Obama was elected. Initially there was panic buying on semi automatic rifles and handguns. That panic subsequently extended to magazines, ammunition, and, ultimately to reloading components. As best I can tell the buying panic then was nearly identical, and possibly less pervasive, than the current panic. Then, as now, gun stores and private people were accused of “gouging” by selling what they owned at inflated prices.

The effects of the last panic lasted, in my estimation until about the middle of 2011 when gun availability and ammo prices tended to level out. Until about that time some gun manufacturers were still behind in meeting demand for some guns as a result of the earlier buying panic. Beginning then I began to buy ammo as I found it on sale—as well as occasional firearm purchases including handguns (2 Glocks) and rifles (including several AR-15’s). By last summer both guns and ammo seemed to be in abundant supply at prices that seemed reasonable, although some ammo, such as 22 LR ammo was nearly twice the price of the pre-panic prices in mid 2008. Beginning in about the summer of 2011 or not too long before reloading supplies also became abundant.

With the above background in mind, my sense is that the current buying panic, and “Glock Drought” has come on faster and harder than 2008/2009. In the last few days I have seen new Gen 4 Glock 17’s sell for close to $800 on auction sites. Today I saw ordinary bulk .22 ammo that sold here in Montana last summer for $16 per brick sell for $62 plus shipping on another auction site. All of the local gun stores have almost no ammo for semi-automatic guns such as .223, 9mm, and 22LR. There are few semi-automatic guns for sale. Shipments of magazines for an AR-15 sell out in a matter of hours.

Amidst all of the above many local and national stores (including chain stores) are accused of “gouging”. At the outset I think reasonable people can dispute what constitutes gouging, although I think most of us know it when we see it. With respect to the claims of gouging I would make the following observations. First, gouging can only occur when there are willing buyers. Second, place yourself in the position of being a small local gun store. If such a store does not raise its prices it will soon be sold out of its limited inventory. Many smaller local gun stores sell only guns and ammo and accessories—unlike larger stores, like Cabela’s, which can offset the loss of gun and ammo sales with sales from fishing equipment, clothing, boating, etc. Frankly, I do not begrudge gun stores and private individuals from charging what they can get for guns and ammo. Of those who complain about gun store gouging I would ask, are you suggesting they should not charge any more than what they were charging two months ago?

I find myself tempted to sell my bricks of 22 ammo for $62 and make a profit of $46 per brick. Or to sell a Glock or AR-15 at a several hundred dollar profit. But, I don’t. Because if I do I will need the ammo when I want to shoot and will no longer have a gun I enjoyed—and because I do not know that prices will not get worse.

Amongst all of the above I have concluded the following. First, I would be cautious in assuming this current panic buying will end soon. The last one took probably at least two years before overcoming the effects of prices and availability. For myself, I learned from the last panic that I needed to stock up once prices level off and availability occurs. This time more people will have learned the same lesson which, in my opinion, will likely prolong the effects of the current panic buying. Second, I will not make huge profits off of my guns and ammo—I bought both to shoot and enjoy and intend to do that. And, I simply do not feel right about selling ammo for an amount four times greater than what I paid for it. Third, accept the fact that the gun and ammo economy may forever be subject to occasional panic buying and adjust your purchases accordingly. This current panic may be the “new normal”!

kasch_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51   #103
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Another lurker comes out of the closet! Congrats!

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46   #104
tonyparson

Went to the Academy sports in Chattanooga yesterday and the only Glock they had was a Gen 4 G26. I ask the manger when he was expecting more Glocks in. He said it looks like it will be months before he gets any. He also said it will be 2014 before he gets any AR's.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25   #105
wacopolumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasch_hunter View Post
This will be my first post. At the outset I will say that I have been a lurker here for quite some time and have appreciated the collective wisdom of the many posters who have enhanced my enjoyment of my Glocks. This is an excellent Forum.

By way of background I am from Montana and have bought and sold my share of guns (shotguns, rifles, and handguns) and I am old enough to have seen the ebb and flow to gun and ammo prices/availability. I wanted to address the “Glock drought” in the context of the buying panic which currently exists and the claims of “gouging” as it relates not just to Glocks but to many other guns and ammunition.

I remember well the panic that occurred 4 years ago shortly before and certainly shortly after Obama was elected. Initially there was panic buying on semi automatic rifles and handguns. That panic subsequently extended to magazines, ammunition, and, ultimately to reloading components. As best I can tell the buying panic then was nearly identical, and possibly less pervasive, than the current panic. Then, as now, gun stores and private people were accused of “gouging” by selling what they owned at inflated prices.

The effects of the last panic lasted, in my estimation until about the middle of 2011 when gun availability and ammo prices tended to level out. Until about that time some gun manufacturers were still behind in meeting demand for some guns as a result of the earlier buying panic. Beginning then I began to buy ammo as I found it on sale—as well as occasional firearm purchases including handguns (2 Glocks) and rifles (including several AR-15’s). By last summer both guns and ammo seemed to be in abundant supply at prices that seemed reasonable, although some ammo, such as 22 LR ammo was nearly twice the price of the pre-panic prices in mid 2008. Beginning in about the summer of 2011 or not too long before reloading supplies also became abundant.

With the above background in mind, my sense is that the current buying panic, and “Glock Drought” has come on faster and harder than 2008/2009. In the last few days I have seen new Gen 4 Glock 17’s sell for close to $800 on auction sites. Today I saw ordinary bulk .22 ammo that sold here in Montana last summer for $16 per brick sell for $62 plus shipping on another auction site. All of the local gun stores have almost no ammo for semi-automatic guns such as .223, 9mm, and 22LR. There are few semi-automatic guns for sale. Shipments of magazines for an AR-15 sell out in a matter of hours.

Amidst all of the above many local and national stores (including chain stores) are accused of “gouging”. At the outset I think reasonable people can dispute what constitutes gouging, although I think most of us know it when we see it. With respect to the claims of gouging I would make the following observations. First, gouging can only occur when there are willing buyers. Second, place yourself in the position of being a small local gun store. If such a store does not raise its prices it will soon be sold out of its limited inventory. Many smaller local gun stores sell only guns and ammo and accessories—unlike larger stores, like Cabela’s, which can offset the loss of gun and ammo sales with sales from fishing equipment, clothing, boating, etc. Frankly, I do not begrudge gun stores and private individuals from charging what they can get for guns and ammo. Of those who complain about gun store gouging I would ask, are you suggesting they should not charge any more than what they were charging two months ago?

I find myself tempted to sell my bricks of 22 ammo for $62 and make a profit of $46 per brick. Or to sell a Glock or AR-15 at a several hundred dollar profit. But, I don’t. Because if I do I will need the ammo when I want to shoot and will no longer have a gun I enjoyed—and because I do not know that prices will not get worse.

Amongst all of the above I have concluded the following. First, I would be cautious in assuming this current panic buying will end soon. The last one took probably at least two years before overcoming the effects of prices and availability. For myself, I learned from the last panic that I needed to stock up once prices level off and availability occurs. This time more people will have learned the same lesson which, in my opinion, will likely prolong the effects of the current panic buying. Second, I will not make huge profits off of my guns and ammo—I bought both to shoot and enjoy and intend to do that. And, I simply do not feel right about selling ammo for an amount four times greater than what I paid for it. Third, accept the fact that the gun and ammo economy may forever be subject to occasional panic buying and adjust your purchases accordingly. This current panic may be the “new normal”!

Well thought and well said. Thanks for coming out of the shadows. I was in Germany for the last craziness. I read about it,but now I'm living it. Personally, I am set for my NEEDS in both firearms and ammo. I will still buy, but refuse to pay crazy prices. Hopefully my supply will outlast the drought.

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote