Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 15:43   #1
G27GenFour
American

Yet another newbie... with a few questions!

First of all, if there's a better place to post these questions, please let me know!

New member here, up in the Seattle area; I shot a fair amount as a kid with my dad – mostly rifles and shotguns but some small-caliber handguns too – and now with the kids out of the house, I’m a proud owner of a new Glock 27. Shot a number of handguns in my search process and chose the 27 because of its concealable size, reputation for quality and minimal frills, and larger-caliber stopping power (which hopefully I’ll never have to exercise). The grip fits me pretty well but I’m still experimenting with the backstraps. Looking forward to learning a lot here. I’ve gone through the manual in detail and will do so again, but I do have some questions and if anyone cares to chime in, feel free.

- The cleaning/maintenance schedule seems to have a very high “CYA” factor (from Glock’s perspective) to it, and I can’t imagine a gun like this, typically in my glove box or in a nightstand, needing anywhere near such a heavy cleaning/maintenance schedule. I can see how regular on-person concealed carry could warrant more cleaning, with lint and dust and etc. Otherwise, though…. Thoughts?

- Looking for recommendations on some top holster/carry options, too…

- I plan to get night-sights on it that’ll show up better, you know… in the dark!

- Gotta say, I do NOT get the rationale behind the Glock “safety feature” double trigger mechanism. At the end of the day, it’s still a trigger that, when pulled, fires the gun. It’s not a big deal to me because I plan to be the only one who’ll ever have access to this gun, but really, what’s the point, maybe other than to make that first trigger-pull a little difficult, maybe, for small hands (and of course, that’s barely a safety feature at all). Why don’t they just sell their models with a standard trigger and say there’s no safety on the gun? And really, I do look forward to some enlightenment here because I figure I’m missing something.

I’m here to learn; thanks all for any assistance you care to provide!
(And yes, that is an actual photo of my face....)
G27GenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:33   #2
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27GenFour View Post
First of all, if there's a better place to post these questions, please let me know!

New member here, up in the Seattle area; I shot a fair amount as a kid with my dad – mostly rifles and shotguns but some small-caliber handguns too – and now with the kids out of the house, I’m a proud owner of a new Glock 27. Shot a number of handguns in my search process and chose the 27 because of its concealable size, reputation for quality and minimal frills, and larger-caliber stopping power (which hopefully I’ll never have to exercise). The grip fits me pretty well but I’m still experimenting with the backstraps. Looking forward to learning a lot here. I’ve gone through the manual in detail and will do so again, but I do have some questions and if anyone cares to chime in, feel free.

- The cleaning/maintenance schedule seems to have a very high “CYA” factor (from Glock’s perspective) to it, and I can’t imagine a gun like this, typically in my glove box or in a nightstand, needing anywhere near such a heavy cleaning/maintenance schedule. I can see how regular on-person concealed carry could warrant more cleaning, with lint and dust and etc. Otherwise, though…. Thoughts?

First of all, welcome, from a fellow Seattlelite. I live just North in Kirkland now.
Yes, the maintenance info has some element of CYA to it, pretty much all makers do that. Basically, you clean and maintain the weapon consistent with it's use; If you shoot it a lot, you'll likely need to clean it often.
If you store it a lot, you're only real concern is dust and corrosion. Glocks are pretty forgiving-if not THE most forgiving pistols for rugged environments, but Storing a gun in a bad place (ie: moist) can present its share of problems.
In the Glock, the biggest concern would be the bore, esp if you keep it in a glove box. Condensation could lead to crud and/or corrosion in the bore. A lightly oiled patch once in a while staves this off and routine wipedowns.
Storing the gun with a loaded mag is OK, but personally I'd keep it loaded with 1 short of maximum capacity in double stack type magazines. Some might argue this is not necessary, but I do it to reduce possibility of magazine spring fatigue (or taking a 'set').
Aside from cousin Jed's nuke handloads and soft lead bullets, any factory .40S&W will be okay with your gun.

Quote:
- Looking for recommendations on some top holster/carry options, too…

- I plan to get night-sights on it that’ll show up better, you know… in the dark!
Look up Blade Tech (from Tacoma) Holsters. The G27 is still not a pocket gun, so you'll probably want to look at some sort of belt holster, either inside the waistband (IWB) or outside. Blade Tech makes a nice Kydex holster for your gun.
For leather, a member here also has a good selection for concealment holsters....

http://www.rkbaholsters.com/IWB.html

Quote:
- Gotta say, I do NOT get the rationale behind the Glock “safety feature” double trigger mechanism. At the end of the day, it’s still a trigger that, when pulled, fires the gun. It’s not a big deal to me because I plan to be the only one who’ll ever have access to this gun, but really, what’s the point, maybe other than to make that first trigger-pull a little difficult, maybe, for small hands (and of course, that’s barely a safety feature at all). Why don’t they just sell their models with a standard trigger and say there’s no safety on the gun? And really, I do look forward to some enlightenment here because I figure I’m missing something.

I’m here to learn; thanks all for any assistance you care to provide!
(And yes, that is an actual photo of my face....)
THe Safe Action trigger simply insures that nothing short of a deliberate finger on the trigger will cause the gun the fire.
I agree, it's sort of like putting a brake on the gas pedal, but the Glock is a safe pistol, provided you keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
A standard trigger is still easier to accidentally 'trip' , whereas the glock trigger requires something very 'finger-like' to pressure both the trigger arm and actual trigger simultaneously. You can also add or subtract prigger pressure to suit your needs....an IDPA competitor might run a 3.5lb connector while the NYPD runs a heavy 7.5+lb system.
The important thing to remember is;

Use a holster that covers the trigger guard
Keep booger hook off bang switch
etc, etc.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:06   #3
bac1023

Welcome to GT

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:09   #4
G27GenFour
American

Great info, Berto; thanks very much!
Old 01-21-2013, 18:05   #5
RPVG

Welcome! Unless I'm mistaken, your G27 is about the same size as my G30. I carry mine in an MTAC on a good, stiff gun belt.

I agree that if you're not gonna carry, you don't need to clean it that frequently. Berto covered it pretty well. But my gun and holster pick up a lot of lint so I run a patch through it and wipe it down every now and then. I clean it every time I get back from the range, but some here feel even that is overkill.

Night sights? Again, this is just one man's opinion, but I put a LaserLyte rear sight on mine. I don't use the laser at the range, but for night action, I think it's hard to beat. Less than $100.

I know what you mean about the "Safe Action System". I was kinda weirded out at first, too. (I came from a 1911.) But once I got the hang of it, I started to really like it.

Anyway, that's my two Lira. Welcome!
Old 01-21-2013, 21:38   #6
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:53   #7
mymini40

Welcome to the forum!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10   #8
ADK_40GLKr

GLOCKS!

You can't buy just one! But I like my gen 4 G27 best!

The safety. With the redundant systems, you're gonna be pretty darn sure it won't go off if you drop it!

Only thing beside your finger that could cause a problem might be a shirttail or waist-tie from a jacket.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, “... if you don’t have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03   #9
lethal tupperwa

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K7.htm

a G30 is Larger that a G27

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh.../complete-sets

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28   #10
bear62

Welcome aboard.......
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 16:29   #11
ca survivor

ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 18:39   #12
Raven1967

Welcome to GT!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06   #13
G27GenFour
American

Thanks for the info and welcomes, all. I have been enlightened a bit as to the rationale for the Glock safety trigger approach and I'm good with that. I'm also a big fan of product engineering and these are amazing examples of engineering if you ask me -- probably goes for any well-made handgun and of course many other products too. I also wanted to add that those two spent rounds in my new Glock box sure had me scratching my head, but a little Internet search told me what they were for (not much!). Looking forward to learning more on here; thanks again, and keep it safe out there.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14   #14
pipedreams

Enjoy the forum....................

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 01-23-2013 at 11:15..
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10   #15
Pilotdude3407

Welcome from a fellow 27G4 carrier. Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. I personally use the crossbreed supertuck for my 27. Loovveee it. Again...welcome!
Pilotdude3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07   #16
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!