Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 13:32   #1
cowboy1964

.380 ACP doesn't seem to be a problem this time around

Noticing that .380 ACP is fairly readily available and hasn't jumped in price like the other calibers have. Interesting since during the 2008/2009 panic .380 was about the hardest hit.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 13:36   #2
dkf

Is it just me or was the .380 pocket gun fad stronger a few years ago? Now the 9mm pocket guns and slimmer 9mm single stacks seem to be clearing some of the thunder.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 13:36   #3
g30sfjeepguy

Went to 3 different walmarts the past 2 days and the shelves were empty except for .380, 25 & 32 auto
Old 01-20-2013, 14:27   #4
unit1069

There seems to be .380ACP ammo available when I stop at Wal-Mart, and I think the difference between now and four years ago is due to the pocket 9mm guns replacing the wild popularity of the pocket .380ACP pistols. If the .380ACP is a backup or one a man/woman who doesn't shoot much relies on he/she most likely has enough ammo for it already.
Old 01-20-2013, 15:11   #5
Able 5

So "here's your sign"
Able 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 15:41   #6
PaulMason

I don't think people practice with their carry ammo. Most mfgs have practice ammo with the same fps/ft - look at Federal Hydroshock and their round nose 380.

Also, I don't think people practice that much or generally shoot their 380 at the rang. I have 500 rounds of Federal 380 round nose and 50 rounds of carry ammo.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59   #7
Kentguy

cowboy1964..."Noticing that .380 ACP is fairly readily available and hasn't jumped in price like the other calibers have."
I have noticed the same up here in NE Ohio. As of last week you could still find .380 ammo & bullets on the shelf although even they were getting a bit scarce.

PaulMason..."I don't think people practice with their carry ammo... Also, I don't think people practice that much or generally shoot their 380 at the rang."

You bring up 2 very interesting questions especially for those of us who carry a 380. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 which I carry (more so) during the hot summer months and when I have to ware a suit & tie situation. It's lighter & thinner than my G26 so it is more "clothe appropriate" for the weather.

I have also found that people who carry smaller or "pocket pistols" don't seem to practice with them that much. My point is this... shouldn't the gun you are trusting your life with be the gun you are most familiar with as well?

Good questions Paul
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01   #8
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
cowboy1964..."Noticing that .380 ACP is fairly readily available and hasn't jumped in price like the other calibers have."
I have noticed the same up here in NE Ohio. As of last week you could still find .380 ammo & bullets on the shelf although even they were getting a bit scarce.

PaulMason..."I don't think people practice with their carry ammo... Also, I don't think people practice that much or generally shoot their 380 at the rang."

You bring up 2 very interesting questions especially for those of us who carry a 380. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 which I carry (more so) during the hot summer months and when I have to ware a suit & tie situation. It's lighter & thinner than my G26 so it is more "clothe appropriate" for the weather.

I have also found that people who carry smaller or "pocket pistols" don't seem to practice with them that much. My point is this... shouldn't the gun you are trusting your life with be the gun you are most familiar with as well?

Good questions Paul
I agree they should practice and I try to do it. I'll use about 30 rounds of the practice ammo when I go to the range. But I find, I definately shoot my 22 more then the G26 and 45. They are just more fun.

As to the pocket 9s - I think you will be seeing a lot of them in the used case section at your local gun store. The people I've seen and spoken to about them can not shoot them accurately even when taking the time to get a good grip and stance - so imagine how bad their aim will be under stress. Also, they are too snapy and hurt some shooters.

I went with the S&W Bodyguard because I can put it in a holster in my jeans and not notice it is there.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14   #9
Kentguy

I just came back from some shopping - stopped in at my local Dick's Sporting Goods store... Just a few boxes of Winchester 12/20 gauge and some assorted rifles cartridges. Almost nothing on the shelves!

I later made my way to one of (we have several) our local Wal-Marts and they have NO AMMO on the shelves. Of course I couldn't find anyone who worked back in that department to ask if they expected to get any more... but hey... look at what store I'm in...

Be warned this is a shameless plug for reloading here;

About 5 years or so ago I decided to start reloading 380's. After I have come up with many different target & SD loads I haven't had to buy any 380 factory ammo. I do shoot and practice with my Bersa at least twice a month exclusively - drills, different target arrangements & stuff like that just to stay sharp. Reloading gives me the ability to have ammo to practice with. IMHO more than ever before if you are not into reloading - you need to be!

I warned you this would be a shameless plug for reloading.

Last edited by Kentguy; 01-21-2013 at 11:15..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:32   #10
unit1069

I'd like to learn reloading but before I spend a large sum of money on equipment and components I'd like to get some hands on tutoring from and experienced reloader. I checked around my local area and there doesn't seem to be anyone offering courses on this. Any ideas GT members can suggest?
Old 01-21-2013, 13:44   #11
Kentguy

unit1069.
A good place to start would be go to the "reloading" forum and start reading the sticky notes at the top of the forum. You-tube can offer some visual advice on just about any subject. Pick out one caliber to start with and do as much research on that as you can. Ask question on the forum - no question is Too dumb to ask, we all were there once.

Sometimes larger sporting goods stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro shop (like that) will have seminars or classes.

Keep in touch and good luck
Old 01-21-2013, 21:48   #12
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
.380 ACP doesn't seem to be a problem this time around
Because people decided it wasn't enough and moved on to a real caliber this time.......

Old 01-21-2013, 23:34   #13
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
unit1069.
A good place to start would be go to the "reloading" forum and start reading the sticky notes at the top of the forum. You-tube can offer some visual advice on just about any subject. Pick out one caliber to start with and do as much research on that as you can. Ask question on the forum - no question is Too dumb to ask, we all were there once.

Sometimes larger sporting goods stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro shop (like that) will have seminars or classes.

Keep in touch and good luck
I've done what you suggested before but didn't get the confidence I need to jump in head first, based on the responses I received. At the moment I'm about where I want to be with ammo --- except .22lr --- and my top priority is finding a better job to support the family.
Old 01-21-2013, 23:34   #14
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I'd like to learn reloading but before I spend a large sum of money on equipment and components I'd like to get some hands on tutoring from and experienced reloader. I checked around my local area and there doesn't seem to be anyone offering courses on this. Any ideas GT members can suggest?

That's a good idea. I also recommend the Dean Grennell books on reloading as they are classics in covering the basics in a fundamental manner.

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 23:42   #15
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Because people decided it wasn't enough and moved on to a real caliber this time.......

The .380ACP is a real caliber, of course. I no longer own one because I think 9mm is a better option even in pocket pistols.

I have noticed that Wal-Mart sells out its American .380ACP as fast as other caliber ammo, with only the TulAmmo still available in .380ACP.

It seems that the .380ACP owners are knowledgeable enough to stay away from the steel-cased ammo to prevent their up-close-and-personal guns from damage. I consider this a healthy and hopeful sign that all is not lost in the coming months.
Old 01-21-2013, 23:43   #16
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
That's a good idea. I also recommend the Dean Grennell books on reloading as they are classics in covering the basics in a fundamental manner.

ABC's of Reloading: Dean A. Grennell: 9780873491266: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks, I will look into it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03   #17
Kentguy

unit1069..."and my top priority is finding a better job to support the family."

I couldn't agree more! That is the most important thing, you can always pick up something (a Pistol/revolver) just to have for defense until you get back on your feet. In the mean time keep doing your homework on reloading, when you can start buying bits & pieces or start collecting brass at the range. So by the time you are ready you will have at least a jump on the process.

"...I think 9mm is a better option even in pocket pistols...."

It would be a more "available" option, I carry a G26 (sub-compact 9mm) with me most of the year. I shoot competition with 9mm and practice often with all my home/self defense guns. I believe that is the real key to this whole home - CCW weapons choice discussion. Now listen to the wording here class... It is not as important what you carry but are you able to defend yourself and fight with what you carry?

Let that sink in for just a second.

I don't care what you carry - if it's a Desert Eagle 50 cal. If you can take it to the range and hit bulleyes all day long with it... that's great, but what about when 2-3 punks jump you on the street and you have 1 or perhaps 2 SECONDS to defend yourself and/or fight with that weapon?

If you can do that and do that well - that"s the caliber/gun for you. If you honestly don't think you can, then it is time to re-think your CCW choice.

Ok i'm climbing down off of my soap box now.

Last edited by Kentguy; 01-22-2013 at 08:05..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:13   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
I don't think people practice with their carry ammo. Most mfgs have practice ammo with the same fps/ft - look at Federal Hydroshock and their round nose 380.

Also, I don't think people practice that much or generally shoot their 380 at the rang. I have 500 rounds of Federal 380 round nose and 50 rounds of carry ammo.
I certainly do not. The Fed/WW 115gr +p+ ammo is too expensive. I practice with 115gr FMJ-RN reloads.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 01-24-2013 at 19:13..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote