Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 23:20   #1
Patriot15

Ammunition Shortage Early '13

Hey I am a beginner asking you wiser guys who have seen this type of political unrest before to give me an estimation for how long it will take for ammo to get back to the shelves. I don't necessarily even mean big calibers I just want to go shoot some .22 bulk, which me just now getting into firearms haven't acquired a sufficient amount of ammo in any caliber.
,Thanks for any help
Patriot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 23:27   #2
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot15 View Post
Hey I am a beginner asking you wiser guys who have seen this type of political unrest before to give me an estimation for how long it will take for ammo to get back to the shelves. I don't necessarily even mean big calibers I just want to go shoot some .22 bulk, which me just now getting into firearms haven't acquired a sufficient amount of ammo in any caliber.
,Thanks for any help
Glad you asked!

I was at my local Wal-Mart tonight and lucked into some 9mm. I wanted some .22lr also and was told that the store hadn't gotten any in for a week or more.

I wondered why .22lr is so scarce since it isn't used for self-defense and was told that it's probably due to so many AR-15 shooters having conversion kits and have bought up all the .22lr ammo for practice.

I never thought of that but it sure makes sense to me.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58   #3
Kentguy

Patriot15..."give me an estimation for how long it will take for ammo to get back to the shelves..."

First of all greetings and welcome to the forum.

That's kinda tough to predict but look at it this way, each ammunition manufacturer is now working overtime to try and keep up with the demand. This has been and is a gold mine for all of them and they want to ride this wave as long as they possibly can.

My best guess is that within the next 2 months you will start to see inventories restocking. Everyone that I know (shooter, hunters, re-loaders) have already bought enough inventory to keep them shooting for some time and aren't going to run out and buy any more until the season gets underway.

Hang in there... this too shall pass.

unit1069..."I wondered why .22lr is so scarce..."
About 2 years ago now I started noticing quite a bit more .22 rifles & pistols hitting the shelves of our local gun stores. My one friend who owns one of these stores told me he can't keep them on the shelves. I can see why! .22 ammo has always been very inexpensive to buy and shoot. For practice - you can't beat it! and with all the new types of .22 ammo that has come out in the past 2-3 years, you now have a ton more choices out there.

.22 LR is really an excellent round for the entire family.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36   #4
Adamz04

If the stories I've heard about Walmart stopping ammo sales is true that will make it much tougher in my area to find affordable ammo. We have other places that sell ammo but its always overpriced. Gander mountain, lgs, dicks, etc.
I'm hoping that since our dictator in chief hasn't yet EO a ban on certain guns that the panic will go down a bit and some stock and prices will come back down. Even if that happens it will be slow because when people see stuff come in they will scoop it up fast. Until those folks stop it will take a while.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37   #5
Kalmah
Supreme Member

A bill to ban the online sale of ammo, and keep track of any purchases over 1000 rounds has been introduced in congress.

"To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition."
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.142:

As long as there is the possibility ammo purchases could be effed with by the gov't, people are going to keep hording ammo. When people feel the threat has subsided enough - if it ever does, they'll start easing up.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49   #6
clinttho

I was at cabelas yesterday to buy 30-06 for my new M1 and inquired about a Remington 700 at the gun counter. The employee was telling me they are starring to get things back in stock to normal level. He said the combination of the hunting season, December panic, Christmas shopping and many gun/ammo manufacturers shutting down for a couple weeks around the holidays made things particularly thin for the past few weeks. He told me many items are being released from allocation as the gun/ammo companies have started cranking out product, again.

Still there is no 22LR, 223 or 308 on the shelves. I noticed much more handgun ammo then a couple weeks ago, however. Take this FWIW as I have no industry connections. The guy did not seem to be spewing nonsense but this is third hand info so...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 19:05   #7
fredj338

My prediction, at least all this year, maybe well into next. We do have another crucial election coming in 14. If Obama wins congress, you can guarantee every gun & ammo restriction, tax & fee will be passed. So people are rightfully scared & planning for the worse. Nothing wrong w/ that, they just should have started last Nov.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-19-2013 at 19:07..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 00:50   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
My prediction, at least all this year, maybe well into next. We do have another crucial election coming in 14. If Obama wins congress, you can guarantee every gun & ammo restriction, tax & fee will be passed. So people are rightfully scared & planning for the worse. Nothing wrong w/ that, they just should have started last Nov.
Might not even have to wait that long.

If there is another high profile mass shooting anytime soon, even the staunch 2A supporters in congress are going to give in. We'll see all kinds of sweeping gun control legislation passed.
Old 01-20-2013, 00:54   #9
ranger1968

I would say everybody will catch up, and the websites and shelves will be full again, sometime near the end of March, maybe the beginning of April.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25   #10
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
I would say everybody will catch up, and the websites and shelves will be full again, sometime near the end of March, maybe the beginning of April.
I wish this was correct then I would be back in business.

I do not expect to see significant supplies for the first two quarters if this madness stops right now. If it does not stop or HR142 or similar Bills progress it will only get worse.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35   #11
James Dean

I hope things will settle down soon. Don't forget about the mid term elections. Even Bill Clinton is on TV urging the Democrats to be carefully about gun control. The problem is the people who have to have as much ammo as a sporting goods store. They need to stop this panic. Even Glocks and Sigs are getting hard to come by. I agree with the other posters here. It will end when the panic buyers run out of money.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42   #12
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

This not the same country as we had in 94. The Republicans probably will not survive the mid terms unless they appear more main stream. Main stream today is to pass more gun restrictions and bans.

In other words sitting back and complaing but doing nothing because Congress will save us probably is not a good idea.

I suspect many of these people are the same ones that woke up on November 7th and said what the heck happened.

Last edited by hotpig; 01-20-2013 at 10:44..
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45   #13
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
A bill to ban the online sale of ammo, and keep track of any purchases over 1000 rounds has been introduced in congress.

"To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition."

As long as there is the possibility ammo purchases could be effed with by the gov't, people are going to keep hording ammo. When people feel the threat has subsided enough - if it ever does, they'll start easing up.
Here is what I just wrote using congress.org:

" I am firmly against H. R. 142. People should not let the massacre of
children be used as a vehicle for politics!

I am counting on you to protect our God given 2nd amendment rights."

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot15 View Post
,Thanks for any help
Depends on the politics.

I would suggest you buy what you can when you can until you get to a level of comfort.

I have been using my ammo stores for the past couple years. I will be taking stock of what I have and probably buying MORE.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10   #15
shotgunred
reloading nut

A lot of people maxed out credit cards. They can't afford to buy more. It seems to me that after the last election it took about 6 months.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:06   #16
beforeobamabans
FYPM

This is the same thing we went through in 2009 after his first election. It took nearly a year for things to settle down. But settle it did. I stocked up at <$200/1000 for 9mm; <$250/1000 for .40; <$300/1000 for .45.

Mark my words, prices will return to these levels. AWB2 will fail. Ammo control will fail. Dems will lose ground in Congress because of their 2A attack. A price will be paid.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 01-21-2013 at 17:07..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 18:16   #17
Patriot15

I will attempt to buy some the day it gets in stock at midwayusa.com in about a month.
Patriot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 18:20   #18
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

2009 was not the same as this. There was absolutely no reason for 2009 to have happened. This run is well justified.

They launched attacks not just on AW and Hi Caps they included pistols. They also launched attacks on ammo. Attacks have been launched both Federally and in individual states.

One State fell big and several others are on the edge. People who normally sit on the side lines want more gun control. We know the anti groups want more. To add insult to injury the Elmer Fudds want more gun control so long as their guns are exempt.

There is no way we are going to come out of this unscathed. Our brothers and sisters in NY have already been made into criminals.
Old 01-21-2013, 21:44   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Not sure where you get your optimism, but maybe you aren't paying attention to all that is currently going on in Obamaland? As Hotpig notes, may states & the Feds are pushing very hard on all fronts. Make no mistake, this is NOTHING like 08, nothing. People didn't know & were panic buying. Now poeple DO know & are panick buying. IT will last all this year for sure, & I feel well into 14. After all, it is the election Obama wants. He gets both houses & SC justice or two, you could see Australian type gun bans & confiscation. Yeah, this guy & his minions are that willing.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-21-2013 at 21:49..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:21   #20
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
2009 was not the same as this. There was absolutely no reason for 2009 to have happened. This run is well justified.

They launched attacks not just on AW and Hi Caps they included pistols. They also launched attacks on ammo. Attacks have been launched both Federally and in individual states.

One State fell big and several others are on the edge. People who normally sit on the side lines want more gun control. We know the anti groups want more. To add insult to injury the Elmer Fudds want more gun control so long as their guns are exempt.

There is no way we are going to come out of this unscathed. Our brothers and sisters in NY have already been made into criminals.
In the past four years we've had total political domination by Democrats and the White House (Jan. 2009-Jan. 2011) when things could have really gone bad for the US Constitution. Since then Republicans made historic mid-term gains in the House and although Republicans didn't turn out for last November's election they still retained a healthy majority in the House. Twice as many Democrats are up for re-election in the Senate as Republicans in 2014 and the job of each and every patriot is to barrage our representatives and senators with calls demanding that they adhere to the US Constitution and stand up to the media onslaught the Radical Left is conducting. From the occasional media report of Democrat backtracking about "getting anything passed" it looks like Democrats are reluctant to press the issue and will rely on their captive media apparatchiks to blame Republicans for any failure to pass gun control legislation.

Also in patriots' favor is the fact that millions more citizens have bought firearms for the first time since late 2008 and due to the threats of a Radical Left push to void the Second Amendment in the past month perhaps millions more (all across the political spectrum) have decided to exercise their constitutional right before things get much harder.

So now is the time for patriots who for whatever reason sat out November's election to come to the aid of America and smother congressmen/women and senators with demands that they put America before party. And make no mistake, the Radical Left intend to take every individually-owned firearm away from us, in increment steps. For them there are no individual rights, only collective rights that history has shown translates into total State tyranny.

The time it takes to write a representative or senator is no more than what takes to post a comment here on Glock Talk. So are you going to sacrifice one comment here to do your part or are you going to sit on you butt waiting for your representative/senators to cave in to media pressure because you were too damn lazy to answer the call? (Not singling you out, hotpig)
Old 01-21-2013, 22:43   #21
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
In the past four years we've had total political domination by Democrats and the White House (Jan. 2009-Jan. 2011) From the occasional media report of Democrat backtracking about "getting anything passed" it looks like Democrats are reluctant to press the issue and will rely on their captive media apparatchiks to blame Republicans for any failure to pass gun control legislation.
I kept hearing libtards on tv talking about how no gun control measure are going to pass. They still win because people are have talks about it.

That set my BS meter off. They are not going to get a false sense of security out of me. They have already turned our brother and sisters in NY into felons and they have not even really started their push yet.

Don't like the NRA because (plug in any random excuse here). Tough stuff buddy because they are the biggest game in town. Send money to the NRA-ILA anyway.

The State gun associations are going to be tied up fighting the State bans. You need the NRA like them or not to cover the Federal bans. It does you no good to fend off a State ban if the Feds pass one.
Old 01-21-2013, 23:41   #22
MotoGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
In the past four years we've had total political domination by Democrats and the White House (Jan. 2009-Jan. 2011) when things could have really gone bad for the US Constitution. Since then Republicans made historic mid-term gains in the House and although Republicans didn't turn out for last November's election they still retained a healthy majority in the House. Twice as many Democrats are up for re-election in the Senate as Republicans in 2014 and the job of each and every patriot is to barrage our representatives and senators with calls demanding that they adhere to the US Constitution and stand up to the media onslaught the Radical Left is conducting. From the occasional media report of Democrat backtracking about "getting anything passed" it looks like Democrats are reluctant to press the issue and will rely on their captive media apparatchiks to blame Republicans for any failure to pass gun control legislation.

Also in patriots' favor is the fact that millions more citizens have bought firearms for the first time since late 2008 and due to the threats of a Radical Left push to void the Second Amendment in the past month perhaps millions more (all across the political spectrum) have decided to exercise their constitutional right before things get much harder.

So now is the time for patriots who for whatever reason sat out November's election to come to the aid of America and smother congressmen/women and senators with demands that they put America before party. And make no mistake, the Radical Left intend to take every individually-owned firearm away from us, in increment steps. For them there are no individual rights, only collective rights that history has shown translates into total State tyranny.

The time it takes to write a representative or senator is no more than what takes to post a comment here on Glock Talk. So are you going to sacrifice one comment here to do your part or are you going to sit on you butt waiting for your representative/senators to cave in to media pressure because you were too damn lazy to answer the call? (Not singling you out, hotpig)
Well said.
I emailed my congressman who unfortunately is a libtard. Plus donated to the nraila.com

I think I will repeat!

Last edited by MotoGlock; 01-21-2013 at 23:41..
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 00:04   #23
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I agree.

Just remember, Obama doesn't want to take our guns and isn't going to do anything with gun control.

So they said.....

Old 01-22-2013, 00:46   #24
FishyOne

Most of what has been proposed has no chance of passing Congress. Sure, two years from now we'll have a different Congress and most likely that will mean more Republicans and less of a chance to pass anything major. The Democrats got wiped out in 1995 after the 1994 AWB passed.

There has been crazy panic buying and price gouging going on everywhere. It will settle down by spring and inventories will be replenished. The time to sell is when everyone else is buying and the time to buy is when everyone is selling. If you are OUT of ammo then you have to pay the piper. If you have enough ammo to make it until March, much better selections and prices will be available.
FishyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:29   #25
SCmasterblaster

I am going to my NH WM tomorrow to just look.

Tags
.22 lr ammo, ammo for sale, politics, rifles, rimfire