SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 20:16   #1
esminbritt
Elias

Been toying w/ the idea of loading FMJ every other round

I am of the opinion that FMJ is not an ideal choice for loading a self defense mag. I have recently heard of people loading FMJ every other round for penetration power if the BG is temporarily hiding behind obstacles as a part of their attack strategy. Anyone else heard of loading FMJ every other or every third round? For my G17, I have good stock in Fed. HST LE 147 +p JHP as well as Buff. Bore 124 +p+ JHP as my primary SD round.. If so, what FMJ's do y'all recommend?
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:18   #2
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

I use 230g ball FMJ for every round.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:29   #3
Ceapea

I use hard cast lead every other round for my P232 in 380. JHP is the other round.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:54   #4
HexHead

If I was going to do that, I'd use 124gr 9mm NATO.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:57   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I use hard cast lead every other round for my P232 in 380. JHP is the other round.
I carried FMJ in my .380 pocket gun when I carried one. I didn't have much faith in JHP in that caliber so I carried FMJ for penetration.

For some reason I have always wanted a Beretta Tomcat .32acp. I would carry FMJ in it for the same reasons.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:43   #6
Tiro Fijo

It's foolish and here's why: in the event a HP doesn't expand then what will happen? It will act as a FMJ.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:32   #7
Iceman cHucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
It's foolish and here's why: in the event a HP doesn't expand then what will happen? It will act as a FMJ.
This is true, but is not the problem. The issue is what if the HP expands and doesn't penetrate deep enough!
Iceman cHucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:35   #8
cowboy1964

Horrible idea. Mas has talked about this often when asked. Pros don't do it. Doesn't that tell you something? If you don't trust your JHPs, find a better one!
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:38   #9
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Double post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Dogbite; 01-27-2013 at 22:41..
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:39   #10
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I read something on the Buffalo Bore website that seemed reasonable. They said they recommended loading FMJ after the first 4 or 5 rounds of HP ammo, because after the first 4 or 5 rounds people get behind cover, and they wanted the penetration of the FMJ in that situation.

I load my magazines with good quality hp ammo, but that was an interesting theory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 00:13   #11
VinnieD

There are plenty of what if scenarios, but most cover out there, a high velocity round can break through. I'm looking for some critical duty for hard target penetration, since at least according to Hornady it doesn't expand unless it hits a soft target and zips through hard ones, shedding its jacket if necessary.

Though unless you're dealing with a mass shooter situation where the attacker is just intent on killing and dying in the process, you'd be better off using the time when your attacker is running for cover to do some running yourself. Still I can always understand the lingering doubt of the what if scenario.

VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 00:54   #12
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by esminbritt View Post
I am of the opinion that FMJ is not an ideal choice for loading a self defense mag.
I believe that's the opinion of the vast majority of self-defense experts also.

Quote:
I have recently heard of people loading FMJ every other round for penetration power if the BG is temporarily hiding behind obstacles as a part of their attack strategy.
1) If FMJ isn't ideal for self-defense in a full magazine there's no reason half a magazine would improve FMJ's success rate, 2) should the attacker be hiding behind obstacles you would probably be well advised to flee the encounter if you're able, and 3) because of the differences in JHP/FMJ rounds you're taking a chance your pistol may jam.

Quote:
Anyone else heard of loading FMJ every other or every third round? For my G17, I have good stock in Fed. HST LE 147 +p JHP as well as Buff. Bore 124 +p+ JHP as my primary SD round.. If so, what FMJ's do y'all recommend?
I've heard of folks who carry calibers less than 9mm alternating JHP/FMJ, and even so logic dictates that hard cast bullets are best for those calibers, penetration being everything at that stage. You have a good cache of premium JHP self-defense rounds and if it were me I wouldn't worry about them as it's impossible to cover all the bases in a life-or-death situation. As long as the HST and BB function flawlessly in your G-17 I'd say you are underestimating your chances.
Old 01-28-2013, 00:57   #13
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13   #14
fredj338

I just don't see the point. You will have no idea what round is up. You may only land one solid hit, I would ALWAYS rather it be a quality JHP. Good bonded JHP will penetrate just about as well as FMJ. WHy handicap yourself?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38   #15
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I've heard of folks who carry calibers less than 9mm....
.38 Special +P being the notable exception, if someone can't at least get themselves a 9mm and shoot proficiently with a full power defensive load, they shouldn't even be carrying a gun.

Furthermore, the type of people that start threads like this one that, "Toy" with these kind of ideas are likely either going to hurt themselves or someone else at some point by doing something stupid just because something sounds, "Cool."

And the stupidity abounds......
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44   #16
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

The .380 or less sounds like enough until you realize it doesn't get it done.

Get a real gun with real proven ammo and call it a day. Don't waste your time trying to make the smaller calibers into something they will never be.

The .380 or anything under it are mole hills that no one can ever make into a mountain.

I know there are those that say any gun is better than none but I say if I have any doubt that it's not going to do the job it's intended to do, it's as good as nothing.

There's always a way to conceal something that will get the job done. The detractors aren't willing to sacrifice a little comfort or their favorite wardrobe to do so. That's all there is to it.

We're not taking about trying to deeply conceal a 6" barrel N fame .44 Mag. We're taking about deeply concealing at least a sub compact 9x19mm pistol loaded with a proven defensive load. Everybody on this forum is capable of doing so.

Last edited by NEOH212; 01-28-2013 at 01:45..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19   #17
cadillacguns

Dont forget a couple tracer rounds.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24   #18
Lowjiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
If I was going to do that, I'd use 124gr 9mm NATO.
Jinx...you owe me a Coke.

I load the bottom five rounds in my G26 with 124gr NATO. It's great stuff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35   #19
chargingzebra

Carry hollow points in the mag inside the gun, and if you're that concerned with it carry a reload mag full of FMJ. If the need arises, take cover and swap mags then go to town. If he's seeking cover you may have a moment to do so.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
chargingzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17   #20
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
The .380 or less sounds like enough until you realize it doesn't get it done.

Get a real gun with real proven ammo and call it a day. Don't waste your time trying to make the smaller calibers into something they will never be.

The .380 or anything under it are mole hills that no one can ever make into a mountain.

I know there are those that say any gun is better than none but I say if I have any doubt that it's not going to do the job it's intended to do, it's as good as nothing.

There's always a way to conceal something that will get the job done. The detractors aren't willing to sacrifice a little comfort or their favorite wardrobe to do so. That's all there is to it.

We're not taking about trying to deeply conceal a 6" barrel N fame .44 Mag. We're taking about deeply concealing at least a sub compact 9x19mm pistol loaded with a proven defensive load. Everybody on this forum is capable of doing so.
agreed, excellent post.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote