Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 13:19   #1
glockguns

Does your Glock pass the 1911 Ejection Test?

What Glock do you have ? Does it pass the 1911 ejection test ? With what ammo ?

I've read that Glocks aren't necessarily designed to do this but just curious.

Performing the 1911 Ejection Test: (as I understand it)
1. Place one round in an empty magazine
2. Insert magazine
3. Rack Slide
4. Remove Magazine
5. Fire pistol
6. Note what happened with the ejection. Did it fall down through the magazine well ? Eject out of the port etc ?

Last edited by glockguns; 01-20-2013 at 15:42.. Reason: Define 1911 Ejection Test
Old 01-20-2013, 13:22   #2
lethal tupperwa

is a Glock a 1911?

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
Old 01-20-2013, 14:23   #3
pangloss9

I suppose you're referring to being able to eject an empty brass without a mag in the gun. I have several Glocks and the only one that can reliably do this is my Gen4 G17 (factory recoil spring, factory ejector, factory extractor). I bought the gun in February of 2010, so it is an early Gen4.
Old 01-20-2013, 16:17   #4
cciman

What is the point of this?

Can a 1911 pass the Glock tests?

Test1: Empty, unloaded, weapon.
Rack the slide and SLAM it closed (slingshot, it as hard as it will go) on an empty chamber, on purpose, as often as you like.
Not cry about it.

Test 2: Field strip it, with tissue or paper towel wipe all the lubricant you can find on the rails and anywhere inside. Put it back together. Shoot 300 rounds through it and not cry about it.

Test3
Throw the Glock 20 ft onto your front lawn, run up to it stomp on it. While standing on it, do the "twist" and not cry about it.

Test4: detail strip it, and put it back together in under 3 min, and not cry about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 16:20   #5
DrtyHarry

^^lmfao^^

dh
Old 01-20-2013, 16:36   #6
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
What is the point of this?

Can a 1911 pass the Glock tests?

Test1: Empty, unloaded, weapon.
Rack the slide and SLAM it closed (slingshot, it as hard as it will go) on an empty chamber, on purpose, as often as you like.
Not cry about it.

Test 2: Field strip it, with tissue or paper towel wipe all the lubricant you can find on the rails and anywhere inside. Put it back together. Shoot 300 rounds through it and not cry about it.

Test3
Throw the Glock 20 ft onto your front lawn, run up to it stomp on it. While standing on it, do the "twist" and not cry about it.

Test4: detail strip it, and put it back together in under 3 min, and not cry about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 16:42   #7
Road Dog

I'm just curious what this "test" is supposed to prove?
Old 01-20-2013, 17:35   #8
glockguns

Gen 4 Glock 19. USA Made. All stock with updated parts (043 RSA and 30274 ejector), "non-dipped" extractor. Test fire date: 8/2012. It's the one and only Glock I have (so far).

YES. Passes the 1911 Ejection test with no problem. Ejection at about 5:00

Ammo used was WWB 115gr and S&B 115gr. Only ammo I tested.

So for the die hard Glock fans out there, calm down. I've got a stock Glock that passes it just fine...
Old 01-20-2013, 17:41   #9
glockguns

Interesting video on the 1911 extractor test...

Old 01-20-2013, 17:59   #10
CynicX

Just tried my G32 with a 23 barrel. Failed 13 of 13 rounds. None of switch stove piped.

Personally I don't care. The only time I could think of this being an issue and I really have to use my imagination is if you were firing with no mag (use you imagination to get yourself to that point alone, maybe a poorly timed tactical reload?) is if you were inserting the mag prior to the case clearing the mag well.

I do goofy military esque drills but even that's a stretch for me.

Unless I'm just missing something. Worst case get an Apex tactical extractor. Glock + tactical extractor is less expensive by a LONG shot then any of my 1911's.

Last edited by CynicX; 01-20-2013 at 18:00..
Old 01-20-2013, 18:22   #11
JBP55

Apples and Oranges.
Old 01-20-2013, 18:23   #12
Made in Austria

The reason that a Glock normaly can't successfully eject a spent casing without a mag inserted is because the Glock extractor can't keep the casing on the proper spot on the breech face while the slide travels rearward because the barrel tilt angle is higher in a Glock than in a 1911. The downward motion of the barrel/chamber wants to pull the casing down with it, away/off from the extractor claw and later the ejector. That's why a Glock either james up/stovepipes, or it ejects through the mag well, if no mag is in the gun. The top round in the mag or the follower of the Glock mag acts like a rail so that the barrel/chamber can't pull the casing down/off the breech.

A 1911 doesn't have that problem because the barrel stays almost still during the extracting process.

The only way to make a Glock nicely eject without a mag inserded is if you put one of those Apex extractors in your Glock. Because that bad boy has a geniously placed notch on the claw which prevents that the casing gets pulled off the breech! It is silly to compare the extraction and ejection mechanism of a Glock with a 1911 extraction/ejection, unless, your Glock has an APEX extractor in it.

General Glocking

Last edited by Made in Austria; 01-20-2013 at 18:50..
Old 01-20-2013, 18:33   #13
ken grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
There is a big design difference between the Glock and a 1911. The Glock is a down tilt barrel and the 1911 is a blow back design.
Old 01-20-2013, 18:35   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
There is a big design difference between the Glock and a 1911. The Glock is a down tilt barrel and the 1911 is a blow back design.

A 1911 doesn't have that problem because the barrel stays still during the extracting process.
Then how come the 1911 has locking lugs on the top of the barrel that mate with slots in the underside of the slide?

I thought that little barrel link was in there to drop the barrel as the slide moved to the rear.

Hmm...

Richard
Old 01-20-2013, 18:36   #15
Made in Austria

Haha, What's so funny?
Old 01-20-2013, 18:43   #16
ken grant

Blow Backs have no locking lugs. Slide weight and recoil springs control the slide.
A 1911 is a barrel tilt design just like a Glock but uses a different way to tilt the barrel. The link does this on a 1911.
Old 01-20-2013, 18:44   #17
Made in Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Then how come the 1911 has locking lugs on the top of the barrel that mate with slots in the underside of the slide?

I thought that little barrel link was in there to drop the barrel as the slide moved to the rear.

Hmm...

Richard

I might have used the wrong words, I agree. So how far does a 1911 drop its chamber? And how far does a Glock drop its chamber? Hmmm?

Do you guys get my point now?

Last edited by Made in Austria; 01-20-2013 at 18:57..
Old 01-20-2013, 18:45   #18
Rev.357

This is stupid!! I did this with mine tonight before even seeing this vid & they are all Gen3's & all functioned 100%.
NRA Pistol Instructor
SC CWP Instructor
Old 01-20-2013, 18:57   #19
dhgeyer

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is just flat out incorrect. The 1911 "links" down, which is basically the same as the Glock "ramping" down. In both designs, back of the barrel moves to the rear with the slide for a tenth of an inch or so, then moves down in order to release the slide to cycle the rest of the way.

If you ever take a 1911 apart (field strip) you will see where bumps and grooves on the top of the barrel mate with matching ones on the inside top of the slide. They are fairly shallow. You will also notice a link between the barrel and the frame. It is that link that does what the ramp on the barrel underlug does on a Glock: pulls the back of the barrel down as it moves rearward.

John Browning's initial design actually had links on both ends of the barrel, and it moved down parallel to the slide. I think someone at Colt suggested the barrel bushing as a way to simplify the design, and the rest is history.

I only mention all this because I think it's important to credit Browning with, arguably, the core design feature of all locked breech short recoil action pistols. The problem he solved, which no one up to that time had, was finding a way to keep the barrel locked to the breech face long enough for the bullet to exit and pressure to drop, with substantial pistol cartridges, without having to resort to very heavy bolts or breechblocks, or a gas operated design. He came up with his solution around the turn of the last century, and most 9mm and above pistols still use it today, albeit with improved methods of getting the back of the barrel down without the link, which always was a weak point in the system with respect to wear and fit.
Old 01-20-2013, 19:04   #20
Made in Austria

Yes, I already mentioned that I expressed myself wrong. Read my post again. And you will see that it makes sense now. The higher barrel tilt rate in a Glock is the reason why a stock Glock can't eject the casing properly in most cases with no mag inserted. A 1911 chamber doesn't tilt down as far as in a Glock and therefor leaves the spent casing on the breech where it belongs to so that the ejector can hit the casing on the right spot. A Glock can eject without a mag if you install the new Apex extractor because it has the little notch on the claw. It's all about how well the extractor keeps the spent casing on its proper place on the breech face!

Last edited by Made in Austria; 01-20-2013 at 19:37..

Closed Thread