Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 20:43   #1
countrygun

Need help from Makarovfans

My wife went on one of her "Shopping trips and came home with 3 guns.

I'll start thread and post them with pics as soon as I can, but I am captivated by this Mak she brought home.

We have a Bulgarian and I have been familiar with them for a while before that but I didn't pay close attention early on so I guess I missed something.

It has the Baikal label on through KI That I know about.
"Made in Russia" Yup, got that

Bit it's got an adjustable sight milled in to the rear of the slide.

Was this some kind of "Get around the import rules" thing during the years I was too busy to be paying much attention?

Maybe the last time I got bucked off a horse did it, but I just can't remember seeing a Russian, or any other Mak with hat looks like a factory adjustable rear sight???

Oh well, she only paid $225 for it in, I'd say 90% condition at least so....
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 20:47   #2
m2hmghb

Does it have a narrow magazine well or a double stack magazine well? The adjustable rear sights were added to allow importation of russian makarov's into the US using the points system. The adjustable sights are on "commercial" models, military has the regular sights.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.

Last edited by m2hmghb; 02-27-2013 at 20:47..
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 20:47   #3
PNine64

I owned one quite a few years ago. Mine was a 9mm mak but I believe many were converted to 380. I believe it was a copy of a Walther PPK. Mine was a great gun and I regret selling it. I saw where you can get after market grips and all that for them these days. Congrats and enjoy!
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 20:57   #4
countrygun

It's a single stack and still in 9mm mak.

One of the other guns was the Hungarian FEG .32, which IRC is the PA 63 for the American market.
Old 02-27-2013, 21:46   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
My wife went on one of her "Shopping trips and came home with 3 guns.

I'll start thread and post them with pics as soon as I can, but I am captivated by this Mak she brought home.

We have a Bulgarian and I have been familiar with them for a while before that but I didn't pay close attention early on so I guess I missed something.

It has the Baikal label on through KI That I know about.
"Made in Russia" Yup, got that

Bit it's got an adjustable sight milled in to the rear of the slide.

Was this some kind of "Get around the import rules" thing during the years I was too busy to be paying much attention?

Maybe the last time I got bucked off a horse did it, but I just can't remember seeing a Russian, or any other Mak with hat looks like a factory adjustable rear sight???

Oh well, she only paid $225 for it in, I'd say 90% condition at least so....
That's the commercial model (IJ something or another). I paid $200 for mine at about 90-ish% finish. It came with the cheesy leather holster and an extra mag. I picked up a third mag but I need to pick up a few more - the mags are pretty spendy nowadays though. Gun Parts Corps selling them for $25/each.

Great shooter, a lot more accurate than one would think. Heavy DA. Ghastly heavy DA, but SA breaks very clean albeit heavy too.

Supposedly Maks don't like the aluminum Blazer ammo but mine have already eaten 200-rounds of it without a hiccup.
Old 02-27-2013, 22:16   #6
countrygun

I've had my Bulgarian for a few years and I rather like them.

I guess I was busy when this model came in and never noticed them.

I don't think the trigger on the "New" one is as nice as the Bulgarian.

I will get it out for a test run when the weather breaks
Old 02-27-2013, 23:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That's the commercial model (IJ something or another). I paid $200 for mine at about 90-ish% finish. It came with the cheesy leather holster and an extra mag. I picked up a third mag but I need to pick up a few more - the mags are pretty spendy nowadays though. Gun Parts Corps selling them for $25/each.

Great shooter, a lot more accurate than one would think. Heavy DA. Ghastly heavy DA, but SA breaks very clean albeit heavy too.

Supposedly Maks don't like the aluminum Blazer ammo but mine have already eaten 200-rounds of it without a hiccup.
If you go to the gunshow this weekend, there might be a couple couple of vendors with mags for sale.

IJ-70 is the mak model.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 02-27-2013 at 23:45..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06   #8
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If you go to the gunshow this weekend, there might be a couple couple of vendors with mags for sale.

IJ-70 is the mak model.
It's IJ70-17A, 18A, 17AH, 18AH. The IJ70 is the constant, the dash tells you the caliber(.380 is 17, 9mm Makarov is 18), the AH models are hi capacity and take double stack mags.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49   #9
Berto
woo woo

Yep. IJ70, a commercial Russian Makarov. Great pistol, but loc tite that big screw on the rear sight- it's known for loosening and flying into orbit.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48   #10
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Yep. IJ70, a commercial Russian Makarov. Great pistol, but loc tite that big screw on the rear sight- it's known for loosening and flying into orbit.
Thanks, I was wondering about that it seems rather "unstable" in a way. things that reciprocate on a slide probably shouldn't be capable of generating much of their own momentum.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09   #11
Old School

Clean the firing pin channel. For some reason they seem to "gunk up" on Maks. Other than that, have fun with a great little handgun
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30   #12
countrygun

As I said I am familiar with the Makarov itself, but I hadn't seen this particular variant before. As I surmised they apparently came into the Country when I was too busy making money to buy guns and didn't have the time to be out there actually buying them.

Old 02-28-2013, 14:57   #13
G26S239
NRA Patron

My Baikal IJ-70 came with adj sights. I bought a slide with high profile 3 dot sights from Makarov.com. With the better sights it is a very accurate pistol.
Old 02-28-2013, 15:25   #14
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

My IJ-70, which I bought brand new in the box for $169 in 1991-ish, came with the adj. rear sight and is in 9X18 MAK.

It is one of my favorite pistols in one of my favorite calibers.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 15:43   #15
G26S239
NRA Patron

I forgot the picture.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-28-2013, 15:43   #16
RGbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Clean the firing pin channel. For some reason they seem to "gunk up" on Maks. Other than that, have fun with a great little handgun
Do be careful disassembling the safety/hammer drop system on the slide. Itty-bitty spring and pin can fly away never to be seen again. Also a royal PITA to reassemble.

Go to Makarov site for video instruction. MUCH information there.

I owned a IJ70, but find the DDR and Bulgarian versions to be of better quality.

EDIT: Pearce Grip makes an aftermarket rubber grip which helps tame the recoil shock.

Last edited by RGbiker; 02-28-2013 at 15:44..
RGbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 15:47   #17
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
My IJ-70, which I bought brand new in the box for $169 in 1991-ish, came with the adj. rear sight and is in 9X18 MAK.

It is one of my favorite pistols in one of my favorite calibers.

TGG
The caliber is growing on me in a sneaky way. Several years ago I placed fairly good sized order with a surplus ammo dealer, to "jamb" a part of an order in a box they used 3 boxes of Mak ammo. I didn't have a gun for it, but the LGS had a PA-63 for $125. Well free ammo .....Man law says you have to buy a gun for. Then I asked my wife to pick up a certain gun at a shop out of town and she came home with a Bulgy Mak instead. then I won a couple of Mak mags on a bet at a gunshop. Not long ago, being a CZ fan I could no longer resist an 82, so I bought 2 of them, now this one comes home.

I suppose reloading dies wouldn't be out of the question at this point.

(sigh)
Old 02-28-2013, 15:58   #18
Will Beararms

I bought one around 1993 or 1994 new in the box for $100.00 I wish I still had it. The Germans came up with this round to save money at the end of the war, they called it the 9mm Ultra. It is larger in diameter than the 9 x 19. The Russians came up with some cock and bull story about how they designed it just as they did with the AK-47 but both designs were based on German ingenuity. When the Russians weren't raping German women, they were taking factories apart piece by piece and shipping them back to Russia for what it is worth. I am no Nazi apologist---have family who went through the holocaust but I am not big on Soviet propaganda either.
Old 02-28-2013, 16:16   #19
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Beararms View Post
I bought one around 1993 or 1994 new in the box for $100.00 I wish I still had it. The Germans came up with this round to save money at the end of the war, they called it the 9mm Ultra. It is larger in diameter than the 9 x 19. The Russians came up with some cock and bull story about how they designed it just as they did with the AK-47 but both designs were based on German ingenuity. When the Russians weren't raping German women, they were taking factories apart piece by piece and shipping them back to Russia for what it is worth. I am no Nazi apologist---have family who went through the holocaust but I am not big on Soviet propaganda either.
9X18 Ultra uses .355 bullets like the 380 does. It is not the same as 9X18 Makarov.
Old 02-28-2013, 17:34   #20
garyjandfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
As I said I am familiar with the Makarov itself, but I hadn't seen this particular variant before. As I surmised they apparently came into the Country when I was too busy making money to buy guns and didn't have the time to be out there actually buying them.

Not familiar with the concept, and I worked 1000+ hours of OT last year! Too busy to shoot them, sure...

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote