Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 18:15   #1
scotty45

Send a message via AIM to scotty45 Send a message via Yahoo to scotty45
Can I even buy a G20 now or are they gonna try to take my 15-rd mags away?

I am still out of work but am finally settling on a car accident where some yahoo teen hit me from behind at a red traffic light. I want a Delta Elite to match my full-size Colt .45 but I'd like a G20 and G29 also to get my 10mm fix finally (since both of those will cost as much as just one more Colt...LOL).

(Well, and a pair of Glock .45s, but the same pains now for the 13-rd mags in the G21)

But I digress. This timing sucks. I want the G29 "slightly" more than the G20, but I don't want any single gun for any caliber that I'm going to be stocking up on.

I don't have the check from the insurance company yet but can I order mags or is that a dumb idea since everyone else is doing it? At least I'm not trying for the more popular calibers (Glock 17, 19, 22, & 23 mag orders must be insane!), but there are still lots of us 10mm fans feeling the sting from this BS.

I did plan on getting a Colt M4 earlier this year before I lost my job and bought a couple of 30-rd P-Mags this Summer and just ran across them in my shooting gear. They could be useful to trade, I suppose, since I'm not planning on paying the mega-bucks for an AR before any laws get passed (I'm here in Utah, so it may be a while).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just settle for the G29? I can't bear to hold a full Glock 20 and think of its neutered magazine, especially when there is model that is designed to hold that number of rounds anyway, you know?

"Often the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the strict truth." -- Mark Twain
Old 01-18-2013, 19:17   #2
sgtbones

10 rds of 10 is good enough get it .
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 20:13   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

No problem buying mags. They won't lose value as long as you don't pay some rediculous markup. Keep them in their packaging if you want. Like you said about your AR-15 mags, they are useful for trade or sale. In fact, your AR-15 mags are in precious limited supply. G20 mags will fit a G29.

Are you going to be concealed carrying? You might want the G29. My G20 is my favorite gun. I do carry it. It is a big fella, so planning accordingly is in order. If chosing between a full-sized and compact gun, I would first go for the full sized. It is just a danged nice shooter.

Last edited by Taterhead; 01-18-2013 at 20:15..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 23:25   #4
scotty45

Send a message via AIM to scotty45 Send a message via Yahoo to scotty45
Yep, definitely carry every day. I carry my full-size 1911 as my EDC, so a G30 is a logical gun for someone with back problems and needing a lighter pistol. BUT, I wanted to get into 10mm and would like a backup gun in each caliber in case I have a bunch of ammo in a SHTF situation and one gun is down. So, it's wise to get a G21 or 30 but now the ban is making the G21 less appealing. Plus, the G30 is better for carry due to size.

That's practical...what I WANT, is to get into 10mm, and would like to get both G20 and G29 but the 29 would likely get carried more in case I was able to try out the larger Glock and see how it felt to carry for long periods of time.

Pricewise, both 10mm models would cost about as much as a 2nd Colt so I could justify this to my wife when the insurance check arrives. I'm just not sure about the idea of having a G20 with a 10+1 capacity, but if I can get a few mags first. I just don't know if we're gonna be required to turn them in this time or if it'll be like the last ban 20 years ago.

Sorry to ramble on my thought process...just want to get a few before I'm not allowed to get them thanks to a few morons out there.

I hope and pray all my 10 Ring brethren can get what they want and need to protect their homes and families before these stupid laws take effect. Take care and have a great night, everyone.

"I may be a slow walker, but I never walk back" -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-19-2013, 00:05   #5
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i love my G20 and G29 but have to be practicle with my ammo money.....cant even find an even swap for them against a G21 and G30 even with all the factory ammo i have for them.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 01-19-2013 at 00:06..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40   #6
RYT 2BER

I realize its a dilemma however

A) I don't think a federal ban is going to happen.
B) if I did I'm thinking they'd be grandfathered.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-19-2013, 23:16   #7
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I realize its a dilemma however

A) I don't think a federal ban is going to happen.
B) if I did I'm thinking they'd be grandfathered.

Just my opinion of course.
Yup. Both sides of the aisle agree that an AWB won't happen. You're not really likely to see a mag limit either. Let this crazy S blow over and you'll find plenty of mags again at MUCH better prices. Only fools buy at these current prices IMHO. Now... About you using an insurance check to buy a gun when you're out of work...
Old 01-19-2013, 23:37   #8
ScottieG59

I would start buying the magazines right away, if affordable. I have a Glock 20 and a ton of 15 round magazines. It is not the easiest to conceal, and I do not try. The Glock 29 will use the 15 round magazines too, though they will extend beyond the grip a little. In case you did not know, in each category, smaller Glocks with double stack magazines will work fine with the larger magazines. That is, the Glock 26 can use the 19 (15 shot), the 17 (17 shot) and the 18 (33 shot).

I considered getting a Glock 29, and it would have been fine. My current baby Glock is a 27 and it works very well as a defense handgun. My extra magazines for it are for the 23 (13 shot) and the 22 (15 shot). If I have to go to a backup magazine, it might as well carry more ammo.

Another thing to consider are the 45 ACP Glocks. They handle the +P rounds which helps relatively to the 10mm. Also, the newly released 30S looks interesting. Also, most of the defense loads made for the 10mm are maybe just slightly hotter than the 40 S&W.

You want to use factory ammo for defense. It may help avoid the idea that you made special killer ammo and looked to test it on a victim. Also, the ATF forensics may help support issues such as distance if they work with a known cartridge from a real manufacturer. You can look at things Mas Ayoob says about these things.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58   #9
sgtbones

I have both 20 and 29 and 21 and 30. I am in NYS, trying to flee to a more pro 2A state at the end of the year.
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote