Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 21:37   #1
Darkmatter413

Hello from Minnesota.

Hello everyone. I'm a gun novice who is thinking about purchasing a Glock 26 for home defense as well as concealed carry (I haven't applied for either ccw or permit to purchase). Heard about the forum from Hickok45 of YouTube fame. My only current firearm is a Remington rolling block .50 cal rifle circa 1874 that I'm too scared to shoot for fear of having my face blown off. I did have 20 cartridges of the .50-70 govt made up a few years ago but the thing hasn't been shot or cleaned for many decades... Anyway, it seems like a cool website and I hope to learn a lot here. I've always had a fascination with firearms and plan to begin a long, fun, and safe hobby soon.
Darkmatter413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:46   #2
bac1023

Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:48   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Welcome to GT. Take my snow, please.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:08   #4
minnshooter

Welcome from the SW part of our beautiful state
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:58   #5
mymini40

Welcome to the fprum!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11   #6
glock_collector

Welcome from central mn!!
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44   #7
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:31   #8
MNGLOCK

Welcome from sunny southern MN. Hickok45 is a great way to learn common sense approaches to firearm ownership. You will learn alot here also. As soon as you can get your carry permit while it is still fairly simple.
MNGLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:20   #9
catalyst686

Welcome from Edina, the traditional glocktalk initiation is that you have to shovel all the MN members driveways
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34   #10
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!
Old 02-17-2013, 18:09   #11
Darkmatter413

Thanks is for the welcome guys!! I got to the range (Bill's in Robbinsdale) and shot a g26, and while I shot it pretty well at 15 and 21 feet, I shot the xdm compact 9mm a little better and had was able to get all 3 fingers on the grip very comfortably (due to my fairly small hands). The grip safety was not an issue for me, maybe because I'm a new shooter and not used to the glock M.O. I am now faced with a difficult (and well discussed) decision of getting a quality 9mm with 13 in the mag or trying glock and xdm in 40 and .45 for more stopping power. I have read a ton of articles on the caliber debate and I'm still thinking 9mm because I'm a new shooter (price of practice and ease of follow up shots) and my wife may need to use/learn on this gun. I realize I may be opening a can of worms, but is really like to make the right call here. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-17-2013, 18:32   #12
mgentry

Welcome - from Minnesota. I've never been there but would sure like to visit to see the snow - we don't get much in Mississippi. Could you talk about getting a weapon in MN? You have to apply for a permit to get a weapon? For pistol and rifles or just pistols? Does the state charge you for the permit? In Mississippi you just got to the store that has what you want and buy it. Of course you go through all the hoops but that is basically all you do to get a weapon in MS. Depending on which caliber you want, don't over look the Glock 19 and 23 - they are great pistols and easy to carry for CC. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm. My favorite choices are the 9mm and the 45ACP - I don't think you can go wrong with either of these caliber. I like the Sig P220 or a 1911 when I shoot a 45. Good luck!

Last edited by mgentry; 02-17-2013 at 18:38..
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 19:25   #13
Darkmatter413

Hey mgentry from Miss. The snow can be pretty for a bit, but is a PITA after awhile. Enjoy your weather. You need a permit to purchase a handgun, assault rifle, or shotgun with an AR type stock. I think there is a small fee ($75?) for ccw, and a background check and waiting period. Not sure about the other permit... Further legislation pending...I don't think it will pass. It is legal to transfer ownership if you have a permit to purchase or transfer for now. So .40 is trying and failing to get the best of both worlds for you?
Old 02-17-2013, 19:47   #14
mgentry

We can transfer guns through private sales in MS. We don't need a permit to purchase - does that take the place of the background check?. $200 for a CCW. As of now, our legislature is passing pro second amendment laws to try to protect our gun rights. Only time will tell - good luck whatever caliber you decide to get!

I have two 40S&Ws (a P229 and a Glock 23[fish gill]) and I like them a lot, I don't shoot them as often as my favorite calibers, but when it gets to crunch time - I'm going with the 9mm and 45 ACP (because there is a lot of ammo in those calibers out there).
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:09   #15
Darkmatter413

I see. nice guns. We can transfer too for now. BG check for permit to purchase and redundant BG check for actual purchase. CCW not to exceed $100 but determined by county sheriff. Thanks for the advice and thank you for your service. I'm thinking 9mm more and more despite what people (who haven't had to shoot someone with it or have been not been shot by it) have to say in the negative.