SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 18:36   #1
nam02G
Angry Bunny

sticker shock!!

Yesterday I went into Wholesale Sports, used to be Sportemans Warehouse, to look for a target that I wanted. Just for giggles I wandered over to see what kind of ammunition they had available. I couldn't believe the prices on stuff. $40 for a box of 50 rounds of 40 S&W as an example. I've been a reloader for years so I've always been out of touch with commercial ammo prices but, Yikes!
Old 01-14-2013, 19:13   #2
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam02G View Post
Yesterday I went into Wholesale Sports, used to be Sportemans Warehouse, to look for a target that I wanted. Just for giggles I wandered over to see what kind of ammunition they had available. I couldn't believe the prices on stuff. $40 for a box of 50 rounds of 40 S&W as an example. I've been a reloader for years so I've always been out of touch with commercial ammo prices but, Yikes!
When Wally World had ammo, I was able to buy .40 S&W 180 gr FMJ (JHP? I forget...) for $18/box of 50.

I am certainly glad that I stocked up a bit before the election.

Richard
Old 01-14-2013, 19:25   #3
sig357fan

Guys at work complain and ask me if they are paying alot for ammo to which I reply "I don't know, I haven't bought ammo in years".

I tell them that for the price of 4 boxes of ammo they just bought they could buy a single stage press with everthing needed to reload, and for the cost of another 4 boxs they could buy components to reload 1000 rounds in brass they already have and after that, the biggest cost in reloading is time, well that statement may not be true any more.

sig357fan

Last edited by sig357fan; 01-14-2013 at 19:26..
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:00   #4
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I like $14 a box better than $39.95 and you can't find it for $39.95 anywhere around here anymore.
Old 01-14-2013, 22:02   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig357fan View Post
Guys at work complain and ask me if they are paying alot for ammo to which I reply "I don't know, I haven't bought ammo in years".

I tell them that for the price of 4 boxes of ammo they just bought they could buy a single stage press with everthing needed to reload, and for the cost of another 4 boxs they could buy components to reload 1000 rounds in brass they already have and after that, the biggest cost in reloading is time, well that statement may not be true any more.

sig357fan
Same here, there hasn't been a day since the panic started that I haven't been approached by someone about how to get ammo or ask if I would sell them reloads. I tipped a bunch of guys off about those 69g Noslers as I did here and they all dropped the ball. I tell them what my net cost will be to load those 1000 rounds about $273 (with free brass) and their mouths hit the floor. One guy was elated that he won a GB auction for a case of 500 XM193s for $600 shipped.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 01-14-2013 at 22:21..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 00:57   #6
fredj338

I stopped into a Wally in Kentucky in Oct to buy some 45s I needed for a match, $40 for WWB. I thought I was gonna cry. I am used to shooting 45 for $10/100. I couldn't imagine trying to buy factory ammo to shoot today or the next two years for that matter.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2013 at 00:58..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

I"ve had two people here on GT that live fairly close to me ask if they can get some reloads from me.

One guy wanted to give me some brass in exchange for some, the other guy just wanted to buy some.

Not. In both cases.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I"ve had two people here on GT that live fairly close to me ask if they can get some reloads from me.

One guy wanted to give me some brass in exchange for some, the other guy just wanted to buy some.

Not. In both cases.

Awesome.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

This thread had me thinking.. If you run out of a brass for a particular caliber (we'll say a popular caliber, 9mm), and you can't find any brass at the range. At what point does it make more sense to buy brass (say from Starline, or Midway, etc..) rather than buying Wal Mart ammo to shoot/get brass?
Old 01-15-2013, 13:14   #10
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
This thread had me thinking.. If you run out of a brass for a particular caliber (we'll say a popular caliber, 9mm), and you can't find any brass at the range. At what point does it make more sense to buy brass (say from Starline, or Midway, etc..) rather than buying Wal Mart ammo to shoot/get brass?
Immediately.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 13:25   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Immediately.
Hmm, looks like you're probably right.

I was just looking at brass prices, and it looks like 9mm brass is running about $125/k. That still only brings my 9mm cost to 11.75 per box. I believe "pre crazy" it was running about 15-16 per box.
Old 01-15-2013, 13:41   #12
sellersm
disciplinare

There are still some online vendors that have once-fired 9mm brass available. But if it were me, I'd probably just by the new brass and load it up. It's getting harder and harder to find any 'bulk' 9mm ammo anywhere, and with local purchasing limits, it's a pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 13:59   #13
fredj338

Quote:
It doesn't. Buying new brass + components = factory ammo prices. So just buy the ammo. IMO, unless you are shooting max loads all the time, buy once fired for every handgun round. It's 1/2-1/3 the cost of new & you are only losing one firing.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 01-15-2013, 14:02   #14
zodiacbw

Quick look at Midway, they list 1,000 pieces starline new brass at $165 (out of stock however), so lets call that 18 cents/ea after shipping/tax/whatever.

Box of WWB 40 S&W 50 count even at $18, that's 36 cents a round You're paying essentially 18 cents/ea for everything other than the brass. Figure 3 cents for powder, 4 cents primer, and 12 cents for the bullet (figure are probably a little high, but so are prices right now).

Balance out the time to pickup all that brass with the time it takes to reload and it seems pretty well even.
Old 01-15-2013, 14:15   #15
jmorris

The last time I bought brass it was 458 socom a few years ago. Range brass is free.

Now that my buddy borrowed my brass sorter bucket fulls of clean sorted brass is free, likely the most usefull contraption I have thrown together.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 15:00   #16
Kentguy

Just came back from two larger gun/sporting good stores. The shelves were getting pretty empty of all the reloading components and factory ammo I saw was up to $2 more than when I was there early last week!

I have to say that I have seen some over-buying and panic grabs in the past but this is the worst I have seen in 40 years.

I sure hope this calms down... but I have this funny feeling that...
Old 01-15-2013, 15:13   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
It doesn't. Buying new brass + components = factory ammo prices. So just buy the ammo. IMO, unless you are shooting max loads all the time, buy once fired for every handgun round. It's 1/2-1/3 the cost of new & you are only losing one firing.
The math in post #11 says otherwise.

I'm sure once fired is way cheaper (or at least it should be)..
Old 01-15-2013, 17:45   #18
shotgunred
reloading nut

Buy some once fired bulk. Or worst case go to a indoor range an sweep it up. I remember doing that in the 80's. Pay my fee and show up with a 22. Snag all the brass everyone leaves before the range sweeps it up.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 19:11   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacbw View Post
Balance out the time to pickup all that brass with the time it takes to reload and it seems pretty well even.
I am at the range anyway, picking up brass gives me something to do during target changes or when others are shooting.
Old 01-15-2013, 19:16   #20
fredj338

Quote:
The math in post #11 says otherwise.

I'm sure once fired is way cheaper (or at least it should be)..
Well your math is kind of like a liberals, unless I misubdrstand what you are saying:
$125 for new brass = 12.5c each
$80/1000 for bullets = 8c each
primer & powder, call it 4c each
total $24.50/100 or a bit more than buying WWB or UMC. So once fired for say $40/1000 reduces your cost to $20.50/100, still about factory cost. The savings always comes from amortizing the brass case. $40 for 9mm is about 1/2c each over 8x reloaded, which is quite easy.

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2013 at 19:19..