Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 21:31   #41
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
He would have had my interest and potential support if he had said, "Hey! Here's a novel idea! How about we enforce the laws already in effect. How about we get some lazy federal prosecutors willing to step up on gun crimes. How about we clean our house first before we tell everyone to clean theirs."
What a novel idea...

I worked a case last year that highlights the Fed's refusal to enforce the gun laws we already have on the books.

A wanted felon, who escaped from Federal custody, used a [stolen] gun to rob a store.

The AUSA refused prosecution on the Federal Felon in Possession charge. Here's the irony... When he escaped from [federal] custody, he was doing a 5 year stint for FELON IN POSSESSION.

It almost took an act of Congress to get the AUSA to prosecute for the Escape charge... Freaking ridiculous.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:39   #42
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I still believe that if a "Bad guy" robs the town bank, you shouldn't put all the citizens of the town in jail to prevent it happening again.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:57   #43
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I still believe that if a "Bad guy" robs the town bank, you shouldn't put all the citizens of the town in jail to prevent it happening again.
You got it all wrong.

If the bad guys rob a bank, you confiscate all the money from the law abiding citizens so there is nothing for the robber to rob.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 22:49   #44
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

This whole gun grab scheme that is going on has drove me 360 degrees from my old beliefs.

Owning a fire arm or many fire arms are the birth right of a American. It is not a privilege that the Government allows. It is a inherent right. That righ shall not be infringed.

A back ground check is a infringement. A waiting period is a infringement. competent adult that wants a gun is guaranteed by the law of the land that they could have one. That law can not be changed by Congress, A President, or the People. A Constitutional Amendment is the only way to change it.

Last edited by hotpig; 01-18-2013 at 22:51..
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42   #45
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You got it all wrong.

If the bad guys rob a bank, you confiscate all the money from the law abiding citizens so there is nothing for the robber to rob.
No, no, taxes are high enough already!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15   #46
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
What a novel idea...

I worked a case last year that highlights the Fed's refusal to enforce the gun laws we already have on the books.

A wanted felon, who escaped from Federal custody, used a [stolen] gun to rob a store.

The AUSA refused prosecution on the Federal Felon in Possession charge. Here's the irony... When he escaped from [federal] custody, he was doing a 5 year stint for FELON IN POSSESSION.

It almost took an act of Congress to get the AUSA to prosecute for the Escape charge... Freaking ridiculous.
This is the problem. I've talked to lots of cops, agents and whatever DOJ guys are called, in 10 or so states. Everyone of them said the combination of lax prosecution, ridiculous plea deals, and lenient sentencing is the curse on LE.

Putting these people back on the street after 1, 2, 5 years, or immediately in some cases, also makes it hard to get the good guys to inform on the bad guys. I've personally seen the look, the expression, when a person is told the really bad guy they outed plea bargained and will be back in a year or sooner. Horrific fear is putting it mildly.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42   #47
merlynusn

While I could live with the background checks for all sales, that isn't the issue. The issue is these EOs are basically the first step. This is to get everyone used to new regulations so they go "Oh, those aren't so bad." Then he'll start in on the bad ones.

I don't trust them, especially considering their stated intentions (AWB, etc), and their actions (USSC nominees, F&F, etc).
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26   #48
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
While I could live with the background checks for all sales, that isn't the issue. The issue is these EOs are basically the first step. This is to get everyone used to new regulations so they go "Oh, those aren't so bad." Then he'll start in on the bad ones.

I don't trust them, especially considering their stated intentions (AWB, etc), and their actions (USSC nominees, F&F, etc).
Very well said.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:26   #49
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
I think the President is in a situation where he HAS to do something!!!
How about enforcing the laws already on the books?/!

I do not trust ANYTHING this president has to say. If people are saying they think these things are reasonable, I am immediately suspicious.......

This president refuses to follow his sworn mandate.
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:27   #50
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Bravo!!!!
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 18:32   #51
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
How about enforcing the laws already on the books?/!

I do not trust ANYTHING this president has to say. If people are saying they think these things are reasonable, I am immediately suspicious.......

This president refuses to follow his sworn mandate.
Absolutely.
Old 01-19-2013, 18:32   #52
Vigilant

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”

~Plato
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29   #53
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
This whole gun grab scheme that is going on has drove me 360 degrees from my old beliefs.
That would put you right back "at your old beliefs".

360 is a circle. You start and finish at the same point.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34   #54
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
That would put you right back "at your old beliefs".

360 is a circle. You start and finish at the same point.
Sorry, I got dizzy.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58   #55
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Here is what he proposing.
GIVE LAW ENFORCEMENT ADDITIONAL TOOLS TO PREVENT AND PROSECUTE GUN CRIME: We owe law enforcement the tools they need to keep us safe. The President will:
o Call for Congress to pass the Administration’s $4 billion proposal to help communities keep 15,000 cops on the street.

o Call for Congress to pass new gun trafficking laws, which will impose serious penalties on those who help get guns into the hands of criminals.

o Take executive action to enhance gun tracing data by requiring federal law enforcement to trace all recovered guns.

o Propose regulations that will enable law enforcement to run complete background checks before returning seized firearms

o Nominate, and call for Congress to confirm, a director for the ATF.

o Call for Congress to remove restrictions that require ATF to authorize importation of dangerous weapons simply because of their age.

o Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

o Direct the Department of Justice to analyze information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

o Provide effective training for state and local law enforcement, first responders, and school officials on how to handle active shooter situations.
What does all that mean?

The above quote seems perfectly reasonable to me, and seems about as pro-police / pro- law and order as you can get. What I continuously fail to understand about a lot of GT cop members is this hatred towards Obama... I mean in this instance, for example, the guy is presenting a coherent and logical series of steps that he wants to see government take to protect it's citizens and try to curb gun violence, while at the same time providing greater protections for us, the police.

And yet, somehow, he's a lying mother****er, his ideas are garbage, etc., etc. I would reckon that if the exact same quote above was attributed to a Republican president, some of you guys would be tripping over yourselves to proclaim his awesomeness.

It's that constant inability to look at the big picture that baffles me. I mean, as cops, a big chunk of what we do involves stepping back from a situation and considering all points of view; yet here (and in 1000 other threads since 2008) is a clear example of personal prejudices influencing a persons ability to look at things from an unbiased perspective.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18   #56
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Should not be a anti gun anti Constitution nut.

Call for Congress to remove restrictions that require ATF to authorize importation of dangerous weapons simply because of their age.
So long as it does not interfear with our natural right to get C&R Military Bolt and semi auto weapons.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03   #57
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
The above quote seems perfectly reasonable to me, and seems about as pro-police / pro- law and order as you can get. What I continuously fail to understand about a lot of GT cop members is this hatred towards Obama... I mean in this instance, for example, the guy is presenting a coherent and logical series of steps that he wants to see government take to protect it's citizens and try to curb gun violence, while at the same time providing greater protections for us, the police.

And yet, somehow, he's a lying mother****er, his ideas are garbage, etc., etc. I would reckon that if the exact same quote above was attributed to a Republican president, some of you guys would be tripping over yourselves to proclaim his awesomeness.

It's that constant inability to look at the big picture that baffles me. I mean, as cops, a big chunk of what we do involves stepping back from a situation and considering all points of view; yet here (and in 1000 other threads since 2008) is a clear example of personal prejudices influencing a persons ability to look at things from an unbiased perspective.
A lot of that stuff is hot air and fluff that is supposed to be done already and for the things that weren't done, it's the fault of the federal behemoth that keeps getting in the way of everyone else trying to do their jobs.

As for the additional funding and resources... sounds great, but c'mon, what has always happened with federal funds coming to the state? They get us all addicted to the money and we have to use it in specific ways and then it goes away and we are holding the bag.

Why not just take less from the states in the first place and let the states use their own money instead of having it go up to the feds and funneling it back down all the while losing money along the way to administrative costs which only end up giving back cents on the dollar instead of just leaving our money alone?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14   #58
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Quote:
I can live with the EO's that Obama wants right now.
<br />
<br />
I can't because it's strictly theater of the absurd for the stupid. He would have had my interest and potential support if he had said, "Hey! Here's a novel idea! How about we enforce the laws already in effect. How about we get some lazy federal prosecutors willing to step up on gun crimes. How about we clean our house first before we tell everyone to clean theirs."<br />
<br />
He parades children behind him yet how many people and children has been killed in Mexico because of guns people in his administration allowed to go out?
I don't agree with some of the decisions made by the federal prosecutors I work with, but would be hard pressed to call them lazy. The AUSA I work most of my cases with has an active inventory of almost 80 cases that range from adopted gun cases to complex financial crimes.

His office is currently understaffed by 40%. That seems to be the average in most judicial districts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22   #59
Ohio Cop

Quote:
Should not be a anti gun anti Constitution nut.

Call for Congress to remove restrictions that require ATF to authorize importation of dangerous weapons simply because of their age.
So long as it does not interfear with our natural right to get C&R Military Bolt and semi auto weapons.

Natural right?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26   #60
Ohio Cop

Quote:

Owning a fire arm or many fire arms are the birth right of a American. It is not a privilege that the Government allows. It is a inherent right. That righ shall not be infringed.

A back ground check is a infringement. A waiting period is a infringement. competent adult that wants a gun is guaranteed by the law of the land that they could have one. That law can not be changed by Congress, A President, or the People. A Constitutional Amendment is the only way to change it.
That's all well and good in theory. In practice, not so much.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote