Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 17:17   #1
Chicago2VP71

I have a new found love for Glocks!

In case you didn't see my other posts I recently joined the Glock family. Purchased a Glock 21SF RTF2 and right as I went to chamber the very first round I somehow broke my ejector.

I call Glock to find out they don't pay for shipping for warranty work you are responsible for sending it to them (wasn't too happy to hear that). So rather than spend $80 sending it to them I consulted you guys. Purchased a new trigger housing from Lone Wolf and tonight I installed the new one in about 15 minutes.

I was really intimidated at first but it really was a breeze to work on. Popped out the three pins, removed the slide catch lever, locking block, and then the housing, new one in and all back together.

Seems I have a new love for this gun now just because I had to work on it myslef! Now to get her to the range again and actually sling some lead! Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys

Last edited by Chicago2VP71; 01-15-2013 at 19:36..
Chicago2VP71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 17:38   #2
kaech

Good luck

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-15-2013, 17:44   #3
GruGrux515

I am a recent member of the new found love club. Spent countless time on GT, watching videos, researching, driving my wife nuts haha
GruGrux515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 17:45   #4
Chicago2VP71

Waiting for my Stainless Steel GR and 17lb spring to show up now. Anyone here have experience/stories with the SS Guide Rods? I just felt this one piece plastic one from the factory is too cheap/flimsy.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27   #5
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2VP71 View Post
right as I went to chamber the very first round I somehow broke my ejector.
How? It doesn't magically break while chambering a round.

Quote:
Waiting for my Stainless Steel GR and 17lb spring to show up now. Anyone here have experience/stories with the SS Guide Rods? I just felt this one piece plastic one from the factory is too cheap/flimsy.
Unfortunately how you feel about a piece being too cheap/flimsy doesn't actually dictate performance. Hundreds of thousands (if not more) of Glocks, run perfectly fine with the factory guide rod and spring.

There is absolutely no need to waste money on a SS guide rod.
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48   #6
bennie1986

Using your logic i should love Dodge... lol!
bennie1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41   #7
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
How? It doesn't magically break while chambering a round.

Unfortunately how you feel about a piece being too cheap/flimsy doesn't actually dictate performance. Hundreds of thousands (if not more) of Glocks, run perfectly fine with the factory guide rod and spring.

There is absolutely no need to waste money on a SS guide rod.
My guess is the magazine somehow spit the round upwards and as the slide was going forward the round jammed between the ejector and the barrel? I have no clue how or why it happened but it did. It's fixed now after I spent $18 in parts.

I realize the factory guide rod may perform fine but they offer SS guide rods for a reason. The extra weight does soak up more recoil and I'll take steel over plastic anyday no need to be a dick about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38   #8
chemboy

Welcome aboard and welcome to the Glock 'Family.'
I think you will find that Glocks are addictive!
I think the 21 is a fine choice for a first Glock, also.

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49   #9
Bruce M

Kindly be aware that a few people have reported slight reductions in reliability with aftermarket guide rods. Any of several groups and entities that have multiple, dozens or hundreds of Glocks have reported good results for thousands of rounds over multiple years with the stock recoil spring assembly.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 13:52   #10
Noponer

Quote:
My guess is the magazine somehow spit the round upwards and as the slide was going forward the round jammed between the ejector and the barrel? I have no clue how or why it happened but it did. It's fixed now after I spent $18 in parts.

I realize the factory guide rod may perform fine but they offer SS guide rods for a reason. The extra weight does soak up more recoil and I'll take steel over plastic anyday no need to be a dick about it.
Sure.............. to make money!

There some advantages to steel or tungsten rods, & sometimes they cause problems, as stated above. I have tried them & went back to stock, myself. If you like the weight of steel, you should like tungsten even more (heavier).

However, I would not buy a product simply because someone makes it & sells it.
Old 01-16-2013, 14:17   #11
Chicago2VP71

Thanks for the good information guys. I will try out the SS guide rod. If it turns out the factory one is better than I'll keep using that. Either way it's a cheap mod to experiment with.

Old 01-16-2013, 14:23   #12
Kablam

And there ya go. It's your gun. Have fun with it.
Kablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 14:41   #13
bac1023

Good luck with it...

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 15:31   #14
imaguy3

Quote:
Hmm, trying to replicate the round upwards with some dummy rounds.

As the slide comes forward to strip the top round off the magazine, the retaining lips of the magazine prevent the round from coming up into the ejector.

Then before the round comes far enough forward to clear the magazine retaining lips, the ejector actually disappears into the slide recess. Then as the casing is able to clear the magazine retaining lips it's so far forward into the chamber that it is prevented from flipping upwards.

If the magazine was loaded properly, inserted in the gun fully, and the slide released correctly... I really don't see how that's possible.

Last edited by imaguy3; 01-16-2013 at 15:38..
Old 01-16-2013, 15:48   #15
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
Hmm, trying to replicate the round upwards with some dummy rounds.

As the slide comes forward to strip the top round off the magazine, the retaining lips of the magazine prevent the round from coming up into the ejector.

Then before the round comes far enough forward to clear the magazine retaining lips, the ejector actually disappears into the slide recess. Then as the casing is able to clear the magazine retaining lips it's so far forward into the chamber that it is prevented from flipping upwards.

If the magazine was loaded properly, inserted in the gun fully, and the slide released correctly... I really don't see how that's possible.
I've been shooting for 15 years and have never had anything like this happen. Then again it's not that big of a deal as I didn't blame Glock or call their gun ****ty. Strange things can happen and I was just upset they didn't offer to cover shipping. Realized I could repair it myself with the help of some good people here and it's done.
Old 01-16-2013, 16:21   #16
imaguy3

Quote:
I've been shooting for 15 years and have never had anything like this happen. Then again it's not that big of a deal as I didn't blame Glock or call their gun ****ty. Strange things can happen and I was just upset they didn't offer to cover shipping. Realized I could repair it myself with the help of some good people here and it's done.
I'm not saying you blamed Glock... but I've never heard of an ejector breaking upon loading a gun for the first time... that's why I'm so mystified by it..
Old 01-17-2013, 14:59   #17
BMiracletx

Got to love the ease of maintenance and parts replacement on the Glocks. Their customer service leaves something to be desired though, at least in my own experience.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote