Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 22:16   #1
JPage

How do you carry a spare mag?

I am looking for ideas to carry a spare mag IWB. I carry enough stuff in my pockets day to day. What is out there that works well? I carry a G19
JPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 00:36   #2
jack76590

I use these. Very smooth on the draw, secure, compact (although not IWB) and rugged. Plus easy on and off, but unlike many easy on and off carriers these pouches will not come off with mag.

http://gebhardsolutions.com/gebhard_solutions_kydex

Last edited by jack76590; 01-03-2013 at 00:39..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45   #3
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

In my sock.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56   #4
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Actually often I don't. We all play the odds to some extent.

The odds of needing a gun are slim, the odds I will have to shoot it are MUCH less. That I will every use more then 5 rounds. (you would need a microscope to see)
This is for daily carry. I may have some loose rds in watch pocket if I just have .380.
Winter I have spare mag in coat pocket, sometimes 2nd gun in pocket.`
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

I carry in a Blackhawk belt carrier at 11:00 on my weak side. A mag is pretty slim, thats alot of pressure pushed into a small area on your waistline. I cant imagine carrying a mag IWB comfortably.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01   #6
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Why not dedicate ONE pocket to carrying 2-3 spare mags? Gives you enormous reserves, leaves all your other pockets available for stuff, and solves an extra concealment headache.

Last edited by samurairabbi; 01-03-2013 at 10:02..
samurairabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07   #7
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

REMORA, the holster maker, offers a small IWB pouch that works on the same (friction) principle as their holsters do.

It's kinda neat and you can stick it anywhere you want IWB 'cause it doesn't have any hooks or loops. Check 'em out: http://www.remoraholsters.com/

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke

Last edited by robhic; 01-03-2013 at 10:08..
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08   #8
cesaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Why not dedicate ONE pocket to carrying 2-3 spare mags? Gives you enormous reserves, leaves all your other pockets available for stuff, and solves an extra concealment headache.
Holy god...2-3 spare mags? That's pretty over-kill (no pun intended) for everyday carry.

I like the horizontal leather mag pouches. Get one in the same color as your belt, and it just looks like a leatherman case.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23   #9
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

These days I am back to using a SmartCarry for EDC, so in the other pocket of the SmartCarry. G19C goes into the first one, providing plenty of inguinal firepower.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32   #10
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
Holy god...2-3 spare mags? That's pretty over-kill (no pun intended) for everyday carry.
Perhaps ... But if it can EASILY be done, it can make the transition from "overkill" to "hey, why not?".

I have focused on the Reginald Denny incident as a standard for my standard carry setup: a guy with the radio off unwittingly driving into a civil insurrection. Even if he had prevented the initial assault, he would have been stuck with a possibly inoperable vehicle in an area temporarily abandoned by civil authority. Those extra mags IN THAT CONTEXT become reasonable.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11   #11
cesaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Perhaps ... But if it can EASILY be done, it can make the transition from "overkill" to "hey, why not?".

I have focused on the Reginald Denny incident as a standard for my standard carry setup: a guy with the radio off unwittingly driving into a civil insurrection. Even if he had prevented the initial assault, he would have been stuck with a possibly inoperable vehicle in an area temporarily abandoned by civil authority. Those extra mags IN THAT CONTEXT become reasonable.
I guess I just don't like the weight of 3 15rnd mags weighing down my pants...its bad enough with just a cell, wallet and keys

But if you wear cargo's daily, then I can jump on board with the "hey, why not?".

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33   #12
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
I guess I just don't like the weight of 3 15rnd mags weighing down my pants...its bad enough with just a cell, wallet and keys

But if you wear cargo's daily, then I can jump on board with the "hey, why not?".
Try it with ONE mag in a pocket. If that works smoothly for a while, then try it.with TWO. If that still seems comfortable for a transition period, give it a shot with THREE.

I would not mind turning you into a convert.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34   #13
SCmasterblaster

I carry it in my back left pocket. It is a mag for a G17 and it is blocky and bulky.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55   #14
Cream Soda Kid

Carry Issues
If you donít mind ankle carry (I donít).

Iíve had mine for a few years and I wear it when I canít wear a mag pouch on my belt.

Usually I just carry one magazine in it to minimize the weight though, but thatís just me.

Magills has it for $34.95

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/31...ch/?mode=image
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09   #15
JPage

I think I would like a brown leather snap close for a double stack. that resembles a multi tool holder. Any ideas where to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16   #16
jay-bird
goin' broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPage View Post
I think I would like a brown leather snap close for a double stack. that resembles a multi tool holder. Any ideas where to look?

Find a leather worker in your town. Have him make one. Should be pretty easy. Ask around at the old saloon.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29   #17
JPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-bird View Post
Find a leather worker in your town. Have him make one. Should be pretty easy. Ask around at the old saloon.
I have one , but his wait time right now is out at least a month I believe

Old 01-03-2013, 13:01   #18
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Comptac makes a pretty nice tuckable IWB mag holder.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:11   #19
yamen1999

I carry a G21 IWB. I carried a spare mag using a tucker mag pouch http://www.tuckergunleather.com/iwb-...agazine-pouch/. I'm now trying a safariland mag pouch http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=123. I changed pouches just to see what methode I prefer. So far I find the horizontal safariland pouch a little more comfortable, but not by much.

There was some discussion on cop talk about horizontal verse verticle carry recently.
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:16   #20
fuzzy03cls

I stick it in my pocket. I can't use any of the belt mounted mag carriers. I tried. They either get caught on things as I move around or then dig into my car seats & damage the leather, or they get caught on the edge of my office chair. I broke 2 by getting it caught on something. Then I tried the horizontal one....That was just uncomfortable & access wasn't easy. So back to the pocket it went.
Keep in mind your will need even bigger waste sizes to IWB a gun & a mag carrier.

Last edited by fuzzy03cls; 01-03-2013 at 13:18..
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote