Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 00:23   #1
DairyLandShooter

Remington 700

What is the best basic remington model 700 I can buy for target/hunting. I am looking into .308 and I see so many different models. It would be nice to have a heavier one for stability. Which should I consider, I am looking to buy new.

Also, are there heavier barrels and lighter barrels? Why would you want one or the other?

Any advice will help, thanks folks.
DairyLandShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57   #2
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyLandShooter View Post
What is the best basic remington model 700 I can buy for target/hunting. I am looking into .308 and I see so many different models. It would be nice to have a heavier one for stability. Which should I consider, I am looking to buy new.

Also, are there heavier barrels and lighter barrels? Why would you want one or the other?

I would take a look at the SPS Tactical model with 20" barrel and Hogue stock. These are great shooters and fits the description your looking for. I have one in .223 and love mine. Im sure it would be great in .308 as well.

The tactical model with its bull barrel lends itself to great accuracy. However, it depends on your needs. I cant imagine the average shooter not being satisfied with the performance of the regular sporter type SPS with its regular weight barrel. These have plenty of accuracy potential for the majority of folks at a lower purchase price.

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 01-16-2013 at 09:01..
Kentucky Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10   #3
bushhogg

For target and hunting the SPS Tactical model with 20" would be GREAT
bushhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53   #4
38 Super Fan

Look at the LRT as well, love mine.

General Firearms Forum
38 Super Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59   #5
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

I went with the Wal Mart special Rem 700 ADL (that is the most basic of the basic) although I am not up to date on whether they replaced the ADL with another name. I picked it up for $300. Every time I get the itch to get a more expensive rifle I bring myself back to reality by remembering how well this entry level Rem 700 ADL kills deer dead. I went with a .270 and I spent more on my scope than I did the rifle. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Rem 700 no matter the variation.
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Super Fan View Post
Look at the LRT as well, love mine.

General Firearms Forum
Pretty much the opposite of a hunting rifle (and I have used a 700VS .308 for hunting).

If you are going to hunt with it, try something short, light, with a thinner barrel profile and, ideally, in stainless with a synthetic stock. You can get all of that in Remington 700 (don't recall and exact model name and Remington's site is down).
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13   #7
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter82 View Post
I went with the Wal Mart special Rem 700 ADL (that is the most basic of the basic) although I am not up to date on whether they replaced the ADL with another name. I picked it up for $300. Every time I get the itch to get a more expensive rifle I bring myself back to reality by remembering how well this entry level Rem 700 ADL kills deer dead. I went with a .270 and I spent more on my scope than I did the rifle. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Rem 700 no matter the variation.

I totally agree with this. Academy carries specially made new ADL's. Get one of those for 379 and they are as good as any 700 made. I own 3 700's. Look online and call around Academy's if you are set on a 308 until you find an ADL. They even come with the X mark trigger for that price. The next best deal on a 700 will be a standard SPS model which comes with a 24 inch barrel. As far as barrel length it genereally matters on how far you plan to shoot. The longer the barrel the better it shoots longer distances. I recommend a 22-24 inch barrel with a standard 308. Some people go longer or shorter, but these are by far the two most common lengths on 308's you will see. If you can find an ADL grab one. Although, IMO any 700 will do an outstanding job. I think its the best production rifle you can buy.
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44   #8
38 Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Pretty much the opposite of a hunting rifle (and I have used a 700VS .308 for hunting).

If you are going to hunt with it, try something short, light, with a thinner barrel profile and, ideally, in stainless with a synthetic stock. You can get all of that in Remington 700 (don't recall and exact model name and Remington's site is down).
I do have the 26" barrel model, but it is available in a 20" barrel as well. Not a bad hunting rifle at all IMO, and he did mention target shooting as well.
38 Super Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52   #9
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD or 700 SPS Tactical w/ 20" barrel should fill your needs.
Once you put mount/rings/glass on the rifle, you're gonna have a few pounds in your hands. (Close to 9 lbs, maybe more.)

For hunting, it's gonna be a little heavier than the 700 BDL, but, there are always trade-offs.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 14:53   #10
DairyLandShooter

Would a remington 700 police be overkill? What are the benefits over a remington sps tactical?
Old 01-16-2013, 18:17   #11
WarEagle32

Quote:
Would a remington 700 police be overkill? What are the benefits over a remington sps tactical?
Both have a much heavier barrel. Are you wanting it for a more of a hunting rifle or target rifle?
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:21   #12
DairyLandShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
Both have a much heavier barrel. Are you wanting it for a more of a hunting rifle or target rifle?
Target
Old 02-07-2013, 14:46   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

Being that most southerners "hunt" from a stand, it's probably not that big of a deal.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote