Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 16:37   #1
tech7311

Windows 8

What kinds of usability and functionality issues has anybody been running into with Windows 8?
tech7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 19:04   #2
GlockFanWA

When I did the upgrade it didn't recognize my wireless adapter. Re-downloaded the drivers and installed them and no issues other then that. UI change is the one people need to get used to on Win 8.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 22:32   #3
tech7311

Any complaints with the UI once you got used to it?
Old 01-15-2013, 23:02   #4
Taphius

Almost never use the tile screen on my desktop. So no real change from windows 7. On my laptop tiles get used some but that is mostly for the games.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01   #5
tech7311

OK, thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35   #6
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech7311 View Post
Any complaints with the UI once you got used to it?
Nope, but on my Win 8 machine I'm probably at the desktop 80% of the time. I also have a Surface RT and on that one I only spend maybe 20% of the time at the desktop (Word and Powerpoint). I had been using a Windows Phone 7/8 before Win 8 so the UI wasn't a big shocker for me.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 18:48   #7
Grumpy Gardener

Good to go

I've had good luck with Windows 8. I'm a returning student @ a CC and bought a Toshiba i500 Sat. with Windows 8 on it. Toshiba kicked me a copy of 'Windows 8 for dummies' and it's been no worries.

There's some little things, like figuring out where my 'favorites' in Metro were; learning how to search out certain maint. issues such as disc check or de-fragging took a little time.

I've got certain classes such as my Programming 1 and my Math classes which require using 'Pearson' lab in the cloud aps. I run those off of the desktop and not a hitch. I'll be running the Net Beans IDE here soon so I guess there'll be more to throw down on in a bit.

It's quick if you learn your way around it.

Gardener
Old 01-18-2013, 21:21   #8
tech7311

Awesome, thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 21:47   #9
UtahIrishman
BLR

I was running a pre-release copy of Windows 8 in VMWare Workstation until it expired last week. I don't plan on running out and buying a copy now that it's expired.

No technical problems but I simply wasn't impressed enough with it to make an effort to buy it. I didn't care for the UI.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 19:42   #10
WebSnyper

Are you looking to upgrade an existing machine or buying a new one? If you are buying one, it really is a different experience with a touch screen than it is without one.
WebSnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25   #11
Toyman

I've been running it in a virtual machine for testing software. I've not seen any compatibility issues so far, however on the usability - now that is subjective. I'm a Windows fan, and I absolutely loath Windows 8.

I hate the tiled metro start screen, it's hideous. Especially when it's running on a screen within your peripheral vision, there's always something moving around even though nothing new is happening.

They took out all of the aero color theme stuff, making it look like Windows 3.1.

They gutted many settings. You can probably hack them in via the registry though.

There's no start button, so you have to go back to the tiled metro nightmare.

Simply put: Microsoft gutted and dumbed down Windows so that it could run on the less powerful tablets with the ARM processors, and so it was more touch screen friendly.

Windows 8 is yet another version of Windows that I'll be skipping.

Take note that their tablet version is an ARM processor and won't run software designed for previous versions of windows (intel processors)
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30   #12
tech7311

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSnyper View Post
Are you looking to upgrade an existing machine or buying a new one? If you are buying one, it really is a different experience with a touch screen than it is without one.
Well, it's always nice to have an excuse to buy a new machine, but it sounds like this isn't one. My limited experimentation on others computers seems to fit some of the negative reactions I'm hearing here.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57   #13
tcruse

For the home user, Win 8 will do OK. There will be a learning curve and you will have to purchase some software that was included in Windows 7. XP Mode is missing, but probably few home users will notice. Windows Media player will need purchased add-in software to play DVD movies. But Win8 is not a reason to avoid buying a new machine.

For the enterprise user, many of the admin tools have been changed to not connect to existing servers and machines. So, the push is to dump all versions of windows prior to Win8/Server 2012, by making it difficult to co-exist. Some of the limitations can be worked around with purchase of third party tools, but not a really good solution.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:34   #14
soulxfer

None, upgraded all 5 PCs at home to Windows 8 with zero issues. Basically everything compatible to Windows 7 runs fine.

On usability, pick up basic gestures -left/right click in screen corners or side swipes with touch (if you have touch screen) or Win key combination with keyboard. Updated touch pad drivers also support multi touch gestures on laptops not having touch screen.

Overall loving it, the benefits far out weigh the minor learning .

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
soulxfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:44   #15
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The cheapest version of Windows 7 can use up to 16 GB of memory. The cheapest version of Windows 8 can use at least that twice that much memory. That was my main reason for buying Windows 8 instead of Windows 7 in November. I usually use Linux so I wasn't considering buying a more expensive, "Professional" version of Windows as I only use it in a dual boot system with Linux. On the Metro screen I have nothing moving or flashing. I added a Windows Start menu just so I wouldn't have to learn everything new right away. Nearly all third party anti-virus programs cause trouble with Windows 8. The Microsoft anti-virus program for Windows 8 is better than previous versions and works well. So far, I like it. Some things still take a bit of getting used to though.
Old 02-07-2013, 14:24   #16
dwhite53

I do the "every other" upgrade system.

Win 95 to Win 98 wasn't worthwhile.

Win 98 to XP was great.

XP to Vista was a catastrophe. Everyone that bought Vista should have gotten a full refund from Microsoft.

Vista to Win 7 was great.

I don't expect Win 8 to go very far except maybe in the microsoft tablet line which they're late into the game with anyway.

Part of their business model seems to be sell a piss poor version which people despise and will then GLADLY spend an equivalent amount of money to buy the next version.

We'll see what comes next.

All the Best,
D. White
Old 02-08-2013, 18:16   #17
WiskyT
Malcontent

My wife got a free copy of 8 through a training class. I'm against upgrading her 7 machine with it because I subscribe to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy. She likes playing with these things and will likely install it. She's not a geek and I foresee her having problems. It's just for home use and we have other machines if it takes time to sort out, so it's not a big deal either way.

Should a non-geek home user with a copy install it? Can it be set up as a dual boot so she can always use 7 if she prefers?

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:35   #18
wcarter4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
My wife got a free copy of 8 through a training class. I'm against upgrading her 7 machine with it because I subscribe to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy. She likes playing with these things and will likely install it. She's not a geek and I foresee her having problems. It's just for home use and we have other machines if it takes time to sort out, so it's not a big deal either way.

Should a non-geek home user with a copy install it? Can it be set up as a dual boot so she can always use 7 if she prefers?
It is possible to dual boot Windows, but there isn't many reasons you would want two versions of windows on the same computer outside of virtual machines.

I would either back up everything and do a full, fresh install of Windows 8 then reload all your docs, etc. or...just stick with Windows 7. If you're both happy with it, Windows 8 doesn't bring anything magical to the table beyond modest load improvements (which can be more than off-set by the learning curve).
wcarter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 21:23   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter4 View Post
It is possible to dual boot Windows, but there isn't many reasons you would want two versions of windows on the same computer outside of virtual machines.

I would either back up everything and do a full, fresh install of Windows 8 then reload all your docs, etc. or...just stick with Windows 7. If you're both happy with it, Windows 8 doesn't bring anything magical to the table beyond modest load improvements (which can be more than off-set by the learning curve).
She went ahead and did a full win8 install and had no issues. There is a hitch with HD sound though the HDMI cable, she can't get it to work. So, HDMI for the video with the sound through the earphone jack for the time being.

She showed me how to bring up the traditional Windows "stuff" so I can just use it like I had been. I haven't tried it yet, but she says I won't have any issues for what I do. By "stuff" I mean there is an icon that switches it to the traditional desktop and she installed a "start" button.

I don't think she saw this as an improvement as much as just something for her to tinker with.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40   #20
MDLibertarian
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MDLibertarian
Short of building my own computer, can a new computer with Windows 8 be downgraded to Windows 7 since I have no desire to use the tiled format in 8? I ask because I need a new computer since mine is 7 yo and still running XP, but I don't know of any local, reputable builders nor do I know how to build my own computer. If any of the major manufacturers still allow custom builds with Windows 7 on a desktop, please let me know since I'd like to order one fairly soon?

Last edited by MDLibertarian; 02-15-2013 at 11:34..
MDLibertarian is offline   Reply With Quote