SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 17:05   #201
ChiefWPD

Guys, long guns are covered under LEOSA:

http://law.nra.org/leosa/frequently-...questions.aspx

1. Does the agency who qualifies me need to make a record of the make, model, caliber, or serial number of the firearm I qualify with?

No. LEOSA does not require the agency to maintain this information. This is a frequent concern given the statute's use of the term "type of firearm." LEOSA authorizes the carrying of a "concealed firearm" of the same "type" the individual receives certification for. As there is no case law interpreting this wording, the word "type" should be read to conform with the dictionary definition; something distinguishable as a variety. Accordingly, "type" of firearm should be read to mean either long gun or hand gun, which would permit you to carry any type of legal long gun or hand gun based on your qualification and not one particular make, model, or caliber. As an action outside of LEOSA requirements, the creation and maintenance of a database may expose the agency to liability, as discussed below.
Old 01-21-2013, 17:12   #202
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
Guys, long guns are covered under LEOSA:

http://law.nra.org/leosa/frequently-...questions.aspx

1. Does the agency who qualifies me need to make a record of the make, model, caliber, or serial number of the firearm I qualify with?

No. LEOSA does not require the agency to maintain this information. This is a frequent concern given the statute's use of the term "type of firearm." LEOSA authorizes the carrying of a "concealed firearm" of the same "type" the individual receives certification for. As there is no case law interpreting this wording, the word "type" should be read to conform with the dictionary definition; something distinguishable as a variety. Accordingly, "type" of firearm should be read to mean either long gun or hand gun, which would permit you to carry any type of legal long gun or hand gun based on your qualification and not one particular make, model, or caliber. As an action outside of LEOSA requirements, the creation and maintenance of a database may expose the agency to liability, as discussed below.
I'd be nervous about relying on that, the NRA website has their interpretation of the law, not legally binding, right? If you're an anti-gun DA, you may be reluctant to accept the conclusions of a pro-gun organization like NRA. NYC DA may be more likely to go to the Brady website for an interpretation more to their liking when thinking of whether to charge or not.

Having said that, if they're correct, its more than a little ironic that LEOSA would let you carry an AR in NY, but not 10 rounds in a mag... but there's no legal requirement anywhere that requires laws to make sense...

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 01-21-2013 at 17:14..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:12   #203
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I

Carry extra mags, use them however you need to.
How about carrying an empty mag? And a full 10-round mag in the gun? Then train yourself to always shoot at least 3 rounds, if you have to shoot. Throw the empty mag on the floor. Who's to say you can't have a 3-round mag in the gun and a 7-round reload?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-21-2013 at 17:14..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:16   #204
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
How about carrying an empty mag? And a full 10-round mag in the gun? Then train yourself to always shoot at least 3 rounds, if you have to shoot. Throw the empty mag on the floor. Who's to say you can't have a 3-round mag in the gun and a 7-round reload?
New York Reload? Meet the New York Deload!

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:42   #205
sgtbones

Quote:
Good idea is was thinking the same thing.
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:26   #206
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbones View Post
Time for the famous NY reload 2 guns
As long as both guns do not exceed 7 bullets.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09   #207
NyGlockcop

The new NY Gun Laws are totally insane. They rushed to impose these laws and failed to see that there needs to be exemptions for police officers like there is currently. They know about it and are working on a bill to keep status quo for us here in NY. Under the new law, as police officers we are in violation if we even enter a school armed while on duty. INSANE isnt it? I'm extremely embarrassed to say the least that my already anti gun state has made law abiding gun owners into criminals. And for the record, in NY professional courtesy is alive and well.
NyGlockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 14:06   #208
scosgt

Quote:
Based on 30 years in the Court system, the very last thing you want to do is "dropsies". Any rounds on the ground will be assumed to be the ones you stripped out of the mag.

However, there is NOTHING in the law about carrying loose rounds in your pockets, so if you do wind up with an extra round somehow, like you counted wrong, you know what to do with it.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 14:07   #209
scosgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbones View Post
Time for the famous NY reload 2 guns

Well, you know that back in the revolver days the academy always taught that two guns is a lot faster than a reload.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 18:09   #210
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Detective Greenly: What if it was just one guy with six guns?
Paul Smecker: Why don't you let me do the thinking, huh, genius?

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357

Last edited by Texas357; 01-22-2013 at 18:09..
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 18:23   #211
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Detective Greenly: What if it was just one guy with six guns?
Paul Smecker: Why don't you let me do the thinking, huh, genius?
There was a FIREFIGHT!!!!!!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:18   #212
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyGlockcop View Post
The new NY Gun Laws are totally insane. They rushed to impose these laws and failed to see that there needs to be exemptions for police officers like there is currently. They know about it and are working on a bill to keep status quo for us here in NY. Under the new law, as police officers we are in violation if we even enter a school armed while on duty. INSANE isnt it? I'm extremely embarrassed to say the least that my already anti gun state has made law abiding gun owners into criminals. And for the record, in NY professional courtesy is alive and well.
What's insane about the law if it pertains to everyone? You are a citizen, same as everyone else. Now, if you can show me any stats that show retired and active "off duty" cops have a higher than average chance of being in a firefight, or, protecting citizens with a firearm?????

And I'm talking in Right to Carry states like AZ, where the citizenry is probably armed better than most of the cops on a daily basis.

This article may help.

http://www.libertynews.com/2013/01/i...-to-defend-it/

Have a great gun carrryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Last edited by kenpoprofessor; 01-22-2013 at 19:50..
kenpoprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:46   #213
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
What's insane about the law if it pertains to everyone? You are a citizen, same as everyone else. Now, if you can show me any stats that show retired and active "off duty" cops have a higher than average chance of being in a firefight, or, protecting citizens with a firearms?????

And I'm talking in Right to Carry states like AZ, where the citizenry is probably armed better than most of the cops on a daily basis.

This article may help.

http://www.libertynews.com/2013/01/i...-to-defend-it/

Have a great gun carrryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Don't you ever have enough trolling?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-22-2013, 19:49   #214
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Don't you ever have enough trolling?
Trolling, seriously? Asking legitimate, serious questions that many, many others have asked, and are asking, is trolling now?

Really? Are you that desperate?

Clyde
Old 01-22-2013, 20:53   #215
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Trolling, seriously? Asking legitimate, serious questions that many, many others have asked, and are asking, is trolling now?

Really? Are you that desperate?

Clyde
I'm not trolling, or desperate... Call it a goal to be able to carry one more bullet than you.

The FBI has not completed compiling the 2012 stats yet. Here is some reading, and if you get board, there is more... http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...niously-killed

As I stated before, usually it is about 10% are killed off duty.

Perhaps part of why you come off particularly ridiculous is that when we have similar ideals (other than my goal), this is a gun board, and we all pretty much enjoy firearms. The difference is that we carry them professionally, and are discussing the ramifications in a forum dedicated to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 01-22-2013 at 22:40..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37   #216
NyGlockcop

Quote:
What's insane about the law if it pertains to everyone? You are a citizen, same as everyone else. Now, if you can show me any stats that show retired and active "off duty" cops have a higher than average chance of being in a firefight, or, protecting citizens with a firearm?????

Clyde
If you read what I wrote clearly and thoroughly it is insane for any ON DUTY police officer to be in violation of the new NY Gun Laws by responding and entering a school while armed. And I am not the same as everyone else when I respond to a call on duty, YOU can turn your back and run away and hide behind your keyboard, I respond and go to trouble to serve and protect citizens, thats my job.
NyGlockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15   #217
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyGlockcop View Post
If you read what I wrote clearly and thoroughly it is insane for any ON DUTY police officer to be in violation of the new NY Gun Laws by responding and entering a school while armed. And I am not the same as everyone else when I respond to a call on duty, YOU can turn your back and run away and hide behind your keyboard, I respond and go to trouble to serve and protect citizens, thats my job.
If you're not familiar with Clyde, he'll be along shortly to state something to the effect of:

"Well, me and my posse of aging and half disabled military vets that saw combat years ago (and I never did, I just like to associate myself with cool people who actually did something with their lives, whereas I just make retarded YouTube videos)...well, we 'would' go running off to save the day, since we are all high speed, low drag individuals, but the dang laws say we can't, and that's just not right..but, you can bet me and like 20 other guys who were stunt doubles on that movie "The Expendables" would sure go in a heartbeat if something happened. Hell, the police wouldn't even have to show up, because we'd have already taken down the bad guys with doubletaps from our tricked out 1911 BBQ guns from 50 yards, because everyone knows that cops can't shoot and civilians are like, way better. And then, after that, we'd have ninja'd everyone still standing. Just watch my videos - I can kick someone's head clean off."

Or some other nonsense, all while protesting that he's being treated unfairly in here.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17   #218
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

For the record, I'm with razdog. So long as I can carry just one more bullet than Clyde, I'm good.

No one else - just him.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25   #219
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
If you're not familiar with Clyde, he'll be along shortly to state something to the effect of:

"Well, me and my posse of aging and half disabled military vets that saw combat years ago (and I never did, I just like to associate myself with cool people who actually did something with their lives, whereas I just make retarded YouTube videos)...well, we 'would' go running off to save the day, since we are all high speed, low drag individuals, but the dang laws say we can't, and that's just not right..but, you can bet me and like 20 other guys who were stunt doubles on that movie "The Expendables" would sure go in a heartbeat if something happened. Hell, the police wouldn't even have to show up, because we'd have already taken down the bad guys with doubletaps from our tricked out 1911 BBQ guns from 50 yards, because everyone knows that cops can't shoot and civilians are like, way better. And then, after that, we'd have ninja'd everyone still standing. Just watch my videos - I can kick someone's head clean off."

Or some other nonsense, all while protesting that he's being treated unfairly in here.
You forgot about the truth causing an itchy rash too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27   #220
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
You forgot about the truth causing an itchy rash too.
Quite true!

Quote: