SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:00   #181
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I hear you have to weld 2 of the chambers shut so it will not exceed 3 shots and if you have a magnum caliber, you have to weld all of them and make it a single shot revolver.
PLEASE don't give them any ideas......
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17   #182
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
LEOSA does not address magazine capacity.

Active officers should be fine, however retired officers will most certainly have to follow the 7 round restriction.
LEOSA does not cover magazine capacity for active guys. But it does cover long guns even assault rifles active and retired.
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21   #183
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bishop View Post
Active officers would be exempt from the 7 round limit when on duty and most likely if they are carrying their issued weapon when off duty. If they were carrying a personal weapon off duty they would probably have to obey the 7 round limit.
you are correct.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48   #184
GRIMLET
Deceased

Hey Sgt.
I just looked over LEOSA again thinking I may have missed the part about long guns and assault rifles being covered.
I still didnt find it. Please help me out.

I am thinking there was something in the 94AWB that excluded officers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by GRIMLET; 01-21-2013 at 08:49..
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27   #185
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
On the New York State Police webiste: What is defined as an assault weapon.

http://troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/NYS_SAFE_Act/

How does LEOSA deal with a state defining a gun as an assault weapon?
You are covered under LEOSA it is mag capacity that will get you. I have the minutes of congressional intent for LEOSA. They tried to not include assault weapons. They did not have enough votes. They clearly state that assault weapons are covered under LEOSA.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38   #186
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbones View Post
You are covered under LEOSA it is mag capacity that will get you. I have the minutes of congressional intent for LEOSA. They tried to not include assault weapons. They did not have enough votes. They clearly state that assault weapons are covered under LEOSA.
Although intent is very important, its the letter of law that matters when charged.

There is nothing i can find, in LEOSA allowing LE, retired or off duty to circumvent any AWB. If there is, please post a link.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39   #187
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier1979 View Post
Ok what is the verdict??? I am planning on being in NYC later this month and in February. I am/was planning on carrying my off-duty G27.........

I know NYPD is very friendly towards visiting out-of-state officers. How will they look at the 9-round magazine of my official off-duty/back-up weapon?
the 7rd madness does not take place until april 15th 2013.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06   #188
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
LEOSA does not cover magazine capacity for active guys. But it does cover long guns even assault rifles active and retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Hey Sgt.
I just looked over LEOSA again thinking I may have missed the part about long guns and assault rifles being covered.
I still didnt find it. Please help me out.

I am thinking there was something in the 94AWB that excluded officers. [/URL]
18USC926(a) says:

Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

Can you conceal a 16" AR, other than in, say, the trunk of your car?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26   #189
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
18USC926(a) says:

Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

Thats the was I understood it too.

I guess someone could push the issue with a PLR16 or maybe an AR pistol under a coat but I dont think their dept would qualify them with it.
I think the range master would fix the issue before it became an issue.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:33   #190
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK Z View Post
I am not big on change, Being LE will we be able to keep our Personally owned 11+ mags, for AR's Pistols Rifles and so on?

I realize know one may know this yet but figured Id Ask.
No exemptions for LE as it applies to non-duty situations.

Quote:
Not in the language it doesn't. I wouldn't want to be the test case. There has been a lot of discussions in CalGuns about it from other LEO's who want to visit CA and bring their AR's, which by CA law would be importing an AW, a felony.

Quote:
Intent will help when the law is ambiguous and you are finding ways to interpret the law. LEOSA is pretty clear that it covers CONCEALABLE arms that you CARRY, which would be a stretch in court no matter how many days a year you wear a trench coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Although intent is very important, its the letter of law that matters when charged.

There is nothing i can find, in LEOSA allowing LE, retired or off duty to circumvent any AWB. If there is, please post a link.
It's not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
18USC926(a) says:

AR pistols and Dracos and Serbu Super Shorties might make it but that is up to the department... or if you are retired, if you get someone to sign off on it because it does give you a bit more options to find someone to sign off instead of having to go with the department RM.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39   #191
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I do apologize if this has already been answered. I am unable to get any sense out of the tedious language of the bill and I haven't read all the hundreds of responses in this thread but my question is:

I carry a Glock 36 which uses a 6-round magazine. I also carry two extra 6-round magazines on my weak side. I haven't seen the issue of extra magazines addressed in this subject. Are extra magazines allowed or not?

Thanks for any info.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01   #192
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack23 View Post
I do apologize if this has already been answered. I am unable to get any sense out of the tedious language of the bill and I haven't read all the hundreds of responses in this thread but my question is:

I carry a Glock 36 which uses a 6-round magazine. I also carry two extra 6-round magazines on my weak side. I haven't seen the issue of extra magazines addressed in this subject. Are extra magazines allowed or not?

Thanks for any info.
Yes, you cannot have at AGGREGATE over 7 rounds on your person or else you become an assault human so if you carry 3 magazines, then they have to be loaded to no more than 2 rounds each with a 3rd round in the mag in the gun along with the +1. If you carry 8 magazines, one has to be empty and the other 7 can have 1 round in it each.

Of course, I made all that up so yeah, you can have multiple magazines, but each magazine has the 7 round limit.

Last edited by lawman800; 01-21-2013 at 12:01..
Old 01-21-2013, 13:08   #193
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Thank you Lawman. I'm a little surprised that they would allow multiple magazines though. It was beginning to sound like we were heading toward the one-bullet-carried-in-the-shirt-pocket like Barney Fife.

Quote:
Yes, you cannot have at AGGREGATE over 7 rounds on your person or else you become an assault human so if you carry 3 magazines, then they have to be loaded to no more than 2 rounds each with a 3rd round in the mag in the gun along with the +1. If you carry 8 magazines, one has to be empty and the other 7 can have 1 round in it each.

Of course, I made all that up so yeah, you can have multiple magazines, but each magazine has the 7 round limit.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:32   #194
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Thank you Lawman. I'm a little surprised that they would allow multiple magazines though. It was beginning to sound like we were heading toward the one-bullet-carried-in-the-shirt-pocket like Barney Fife.
It's one-bullet-in-one-magazine-in-the-pocket for him! Barney fife updated to a pistola!

Lawman's only joking with you.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:33   #195
Ajon412

Quote:
......Or, just travel with your "peeps" and each may have (1) magazine loaded with only (7) rounds. If your "entourage" is large enough, you may just have enough rounds to equal (1) standard capacity magazine.........
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:44   #196
scosgt

I am a retired LEO in New York, so let me clear up a few things about this new law:

1. The seven round per mag limit does not take effect until April 15, 2013. Until then it is 10 rounds (because the State has been limited to 10 round mags since 2000).
2. You can buy a 10 round mag in New York until April 15, 2013.
3. There are conflicting sections of law. In one section it states that only 10 round mags (or in fact those that hold more than 7 rounds) that were legally possessed on Jan 15, 2013 are legal. In anther section, it states that you can purchase mags until April 15, because that is when the law goes into effect. In other words, they screwed up because you can not criminalize something that happens before the effective date of the law.
4. There is no prohibition against carrying a 10 round mag, except that after April 15 it can only be loaded with 7 rounds.
5. HR 218/LEOSA is silent on this issue. An out of state Police Officer who enters the State on Official Business is treated the same as an in State Officer, and that section that failed to exempt State LEOs will be fixed. An out of State Police Officer, LEOSA qualified, whether off duty or retired, is bound by the State Law. Mags over 10 rounds are a Felony. More than 7 rounds in a 10 round mag is a Misdemeanor crime. (Note: most State extradition laws, which are governed by Interstate Compact, will refuse extradition if the charged crime is NOT an offense in the home State. So a LEO who is arrested can probably flee the State and not face any charges unless he comes back).

Having said that, I have never met a LEO who would lock up a fellow cop for having 8 bullets in his gun. There are also 4th Amendment issues - what would give an Officer the right to inspect a magazine absent some other criminality? Of course, LEOSA is only an affirmative defense, not a bar to being arrested, so at that point an illegal mag could be discovered.

Realistically, the only way an out of State Officer gets jammed up is if he uses the gun. Then all bets are off.

Yes, the law is insane. I hope that no one builds seven round mags. That makes it easier to overturn the law as a ban an unlawful taking of property.

As far as Peace Officers in NY, there are many catagories where the law makes the provision that there is no legal right to possess firearms unless a permit is issued. The grey area is that there are some agencies that employ such Officers and sponsor them for permits. So are they covered by LEOSA or not? Unknown.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:06   #197
BLACK Z

But you carry a gun because you never know if you may need it, I would hate to see some use there weapon to save lives and then get jammed up because he fired 10 or 12 rounds out of one mag.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:00   #198
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
Realistically, the only way an out of State Officer gets jammed up is if he uses the gun. Then all bets are off.
I always carry a reload and if I had to shoot more than 7+1 rounds in NY, you bet I am claiming that I had to reload and I just happen to have spare loose rounds in my pocket. But since I am never going to NY any time soon, it's all hypothetical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK Z View Post
But you carry a gun because you never know if you may need it, I would hate to see some use there weapon to save lives and then get jammed up because he fired 10 or 12 rounds out of one mag.
Carry extra mags, use them however you need to.
Old 01-21-2013, 17:05   #199
sgtbones

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
Extra mags are ok plus criminals don't care about either.
Old 01-21-2013, 17:05   #200
sgtbones

Time for the famous NY reload 2 guns