Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 21:57   #101
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I don't go to booster functions or school board meetings, but otherwise, yes, all of the above.

The dealership doesn't really count though, as I worked there. The odds of it happening at a dealership now would be extremely low.

It is very rare that they are pushy. Pressured is not the word I would use.
I'm being very sincere here. I've never felt pressured by a theist to join their religion, at least in the last 20+ years or so.

I really don't get it. I've watched the elimination of a lot of blue laws, the initiation of a lot of sin taxes by the leftists, but that is a secular movement. I've watched LGBTQ issues advance, abortion is legal in all states, divorce has no stigma at all, neither does unwed parenting, Sex ed is expected in schools, prayer is banned....... etc etc etc....

I'm really not getting where atheists are entitled to the "oppressed victim" label.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:06   #102
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

It would seem that our resident gnostic-agnostic has fallen back into his usual pattern of intellectual dishonesty. Not much point in debating someone who has no shame and will recognize no limit in bending the truth to suit his agenda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-16-2013 at 22:07..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:09   #103
ksg0245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Although mildly annoying, I don't have a problem with any of the above. As long as (in the last case) they don't return to my home when politely asked not to. That is all constitutionally protected free speech. They should be allowed to be publicly foolish if they want to be, they just shouldn't be allowed to enact foolish (sometimes dangerous and unjust) laws based on their religion.
I agree, I don't have too much of a problem with it, either, although I prefer not to be interrupted reading my paper while waiting for a train, or having to answer the door, or whatever. But it IS proselytizing, and even if Doc hasn't been recently approached on the street, I'm guessing he has been exposed to the other situations.

Reading his posts, though, perhaps he's defining proselytize differently than everybody else.

And that doesn't even begin to address the other attendant issues controversial because of religious belief.
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:11   #104
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I'm really not getting where atheists are entitled to the "oppressed victim" label.
I'm not trying. You mentioned how rare it is someone mentions religion to you and that amazed me, so I commented on how common it is for me. I'm not at all claiming to be an oppressed victim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:13   #105
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
It would seem that our resident gnostic-agnostic has fallen back into his usual pattern of intellectual dishonesty. Not much point in debating someone who has no shame and will recognize no limit in bending the truth to suit his agenda.
Gek, these drive by unsupported BS posts of yours are really beneath you.

What in my post was dishonest. I know that you have a skewed point of view, but at least try to make sense of it.
Old 01-16-2013, 22:14   #106
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
Reading his posts, though, perhaps he's defining proselytize differently than everybody else.
Or perhaps he is simply being dishonest like he has a number of times in the past.

Old 01-16-2013, 22:18   #107
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
What in my post was dishonest.
Pretending to not understand an argument in plain English, for one. You're obviously not stupid, so I can only assume that you are playing dumb when you consistently misrepresent what I say.

Old 01-16-2013, 22:18   #108
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I'm not trying. You mentioned how rare it is someone mentions religion to you and that amazed me, so I commented on how common it is for me. I'm not at all claiming to be an oppressed victim.
OK, I may have been a bit overboard there.

But really, where does this happen? Walmart? Cabelas? Bass Pro Shop?

Is the guy ringing the bell outside of a store in late december a problem. Yeah, I hear the ringing bell, and drop a dollar once in a while, but that's because I see some people that come out well from their substance abuse programs.

I shop at the goodwill and donate stuff that I don't need any longer, and no one has ever mentioned a deity there either.

Maybe this is a difference of location? Can you share the last three instances where you felt preached to in real life? Nothing identifying by person or location, just the general situation where this has happened.
Old 01-16-2013, 22:47   #109
Syclone538

Quote:
OK, I may have been a bit overboard there.

But really, where does this happen? Walmart? Cabelas? Bass Pro Shop?

Is the guy ringing the bell outside of a store in late december a problem. Yeah, I hear the ringing bell, and drop a dollar once in a while, but that's because I see some people that come out well from their substance abuse programs.

I shop at the goodwill and donate stuff that I don't need any longer, and no one has ever mentioned a deity there either.

Maybe this is a difference of location? Can you share the last three instances where you felt preached to in real life? Nothing identifying by person or location, just the general situation where this has happened.
At a gas station, right at close, the girl working was filling a propane tank for an older lady. Had locked the doors, but said she'd let me and another customer in when she was done. When we go in, the other customer looks at the hours posted on the door, says "you guys close at 8:00?" employee says "yeah," customer says Jesus. Lady with the propane says that's our savior, customer says "that right". I think she was serious, but not sure. Older lady looks at me and says "do you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins?" I say no. She says that's disappointing, and invites me to church, I decline. She says I should reconsider, then turns back to employee and pays and leaves without saying much more.

In walmart, another older lady asked me where to find batteries, I tell her about the little stands by the registers but the biggest selection should be in electronics and pointed in the direction. She thanks me and says she'd like to invite me to her church, hands me a business card for the church and walks towards electronics.

In a hospital, relative was having a pretty serious surgery. Bunch of us in a big open waiting area. Two young guys come up and ask us if we'd like to hear about Jesus Christ, my cousin says no thanks, they say ok, set down a pamphlet and walk away.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 23:01   #110
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
At a gas station, right at close, the girl working was filling a propane tank for an older lady. Had locked the doors, but said she'd let me and another customer in when she was done. When we go in, the other customer looks at the hours posted on the door, says "you guys close at 8:00?" employee says "yeah," customer says Jesus. Lady with the propane says that's our savior, customer says "that right". I think she was serious, but not sure. Older lady looks at me and says "do you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins?" I say no. She says that's disappointing, and invites me to church, I decline. She says I should reconsider, then turns back to employee and pays and leaves without saying much more.

In walmart, another older lady asked me where to find batteries, I tell her about the little stands by the registers but the biggest selection should be in electronics and pointed in the direction. She thanks me and says she'd like to invite me to her church, hands me a business card for the church and walks towards electronics.

In a hospital, relative was having a pretty serious surgery. Bunch of us in a big open waiting area. Two young guys come up and ask us if we'd like to hear about Jesus Christ, my cousin says no thanks, they say ok, set down a pamphlet and walk away.

I've honestly not experienced anything like that. But whether you agree or not, doesn't it seem like best wishes objectively.

In 1995, when my grandfather passed away. WWII Veteran, fought in the pacific with 4 of his brothers that all joined the navy to fight the japs as soon as they heard about Pearl Harbor..... When his funeral procession was making it's way from the funeral home to the cemetery, every single car stopped. Every single person got out of their vehicles and paid their respects. Every single person walking on the street stopped, faced the procession, and paid their respects.

I'd been out of the south for quite a while. That didn't seem oppressive to me, more as respectful to the family left behind by the recently departed.

I've had Muslims actively try to kill me and my fellow soldiers. I've had other Muslims from the same lands invite me to consider Mohammed. I never had a problem respectfully declining. I'm still friends with a couple of those guys.

I'd imagine that a well meaning atheist trying to convince a theist that their god does not exist is at least as honorable as a well meaning theist trying to convince an atheist or agnostic that they should consider their route to salvation.

I also believe that it is very easy to politely decline. It's a personal freedom, not a group mandate.
Old 01-16-2013, 23:11   #111
Syclone538

Yeah I absolutely believe all of them were trying to help.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 23:18   #112
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Yeah I absolutely believe all of them were trying to help.
Yeah, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that jazz.

But you really took offense at those examples?

I've never felt pressured one way or the other. It's just not an issue that comes up often.
Old 01-16-2013, 23:24   #113
Syclone538

Quote:
But you really took offense at those examples?
We've had a miscommunication somewhere.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 23:32   #114
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
We've had a miscommunication somewhere.
OK. I assumed that theists proselytizing to you would be offensive. It wasn't intentional. I should have asked though. My bad. I should have gone about asking that question in a much different way.

In the experiences you described, how did that affect your feelings toward them?
Old 01-17-2013, 00:13   #115
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
OK. I assumed that theists proselytizing to you would be offensive. It wasn't intentional. I should have asked though. My bad. I should have gone about asking that question in a much different way.
You made the same mistaken assumption in regards to me as well.

Old 01-17-2013, 00:19   #116
Syclone538

Quote:

In the experiences you described, how did that affect your feelings toward them?
When I meet someone who really believes, I think to myself, is this person crazy, or am I?

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 00:21   #117
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
I can't be understanding you correctly here.

If the odds that cellular life would spontaneously occur are less then the odds of you winning the lottery next week, then the odds that it did not occur are the same as the odds that you will not win the lottery next week.

Is this what you mean to say?
Notice that he skipped right over your request for clarification of his classic creationist fallacy. Don't expect him to come back to that, they never do. Also notice that when I called him out on it the first time he accused me of presenting a non sequitur and then redirected to something that "does not follow", my income. The second time I called him out on it he again redirected by begging me to save my dignity and followed up with a cute little smiley to let me know I had failed.

Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 00:23   #118
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Or perhaps he is simply being dishonest like he has a number of times in the past.
Well that can't be. He's accuses me of dishonesty every chance he gets. Perhaps physician's assistants take the hypocritical oath.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37   #119
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
When I meet someone who really believes, I think to myself, is this person crazy, or am I?
It doesn't have to be a him or me issue there. We all have our idiosyncrasies. There are people that let their religious belief dominate their life. That's been a good and a bad thing.

I see the whole thing as rather neutral and almost transparent in real life.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38   #120
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
You made the same mistaken assumption in regards to me as well.
You've made so many intentional ones regarding me, that I think I can get over it.