Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 20:18   #81
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Maybe a math impediment is the reason for Cav PA never getting that MD.

I wonder if he understands what data is required to accurately make calculations on odds.

That argument falls somewhere between, "If people came from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" and how perfectly a banana fits the human hand on the scale of retarded theist arguments.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 20:18   #82
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
Nailed it, great post.

CavDoc does not seem to want to accept that in regards to the bold.

Theist don't bother him, only Atheist on GTRI.
Darn, I thought we were starting to get along. Oh well, lets try again.

I've not been proselytized to by a person in real life, other than one atheist in the last 2 years. He's a nice guy, a Nurse Practitioner that is not overtly, but openly gay, his partner comes by and has lunch with him on occasion, as far as I can tell, everybody likes them both a lot. He has a huge party out at their ranch once a year, and invites about a hundred people to a great bar-b-Que and hay rides for the kids. He's rather upset that some christians don't approve of his lifestyle, while several openly christian and muslim, and hindu people around us have always shown him respect. One day when we were alone, he cut loose, and spouted a large amount of bile and vitriol against christians. I simply reminded him that I wasn't one, but that he should not be too upset about how things were around here. While not perfect, they were headed that way, and if he really wanted to rant against a religion, he could pick a better one.

Religious Issues

I do not consider myself a member of any religion. I don't take offense at the atheists that want to say agnosticism is a religion. I simply know what I know, and accept what I don't.

I find it hard to believe that some of you take such great offense at indirect proselytizing, while proselytizing directly, and cannot realize it.

It's very evident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 20:30   #83
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Maybe a math impediment is the reason for Cav PA never getting that MD.

I wonder if he understands what data is required to accurately make calculations on odds.

That argument falls somewhere between, "If people came from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" and how perfectly a banana fits the human hand on the scale of retarded theist arguments.
Didn't you say you clear about $61,000 a year? Trust me when I say math is not my problem.

Non Sequitur arguments are falling rather flat for me lately.

Try better.

Don't let your feelings of inadequacy and irrelevance get the better of you. You could do better, well....... maybe not, but at least make it obvious that you are trying.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 20:32   #84
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
In the last 6 months? Same number as theist. Zero. There was a guy about a year ago that PM'd saying he hoped that I would find god. He was polite about it. As best as I can recall at this moment, that's been it for a couple if years.

There are heroes and zeros in almost any group.
Nobody has proselytized to you for 6 months, man that would be awesome. I doubt I've ever made it 6 weeks.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 20:37   #85
Syclone538

Quote:
Gek, I gotta ask. Where are you going that you are being accosted by all of these theists? Are you setting in the pews every Sunday at church? I drive by a few churches on the way home, and I can't even remember seeing an advertisement on one.

Come on, admit this is selective hypersensitivity where you have the same reaction as a "B" movie vampire at the sight of a cross.

I have been proselytized by many more atheists here than theists, and by neither in real life in many years. The last time a Jehovah's witness was at the door was at least 5 years ago, and they left when I said I was not interested. I was once accosted at work about the evils of Christianity by a coworker, who is openly gay, who calmed down a lot when I informed him that I am agnostic, but that much hostility is unhealthy. None of us will every be accepted by all of us, globally anyway. It's important to be comfortable in your own skin, and while understanding what others may think about you, not really giving a mouse's fart about it.

Where are you going that you are not?

Anyway, if this really is true, then I understand why you can't figure out why we care about it.

Quote:

Last edited by Syclone538; 01-16-2013 at 21:04..
Old 01-16-2013, 20:46   #86
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
Nobody has proselytized to you for 6 months, man that would be awesome. I doubt I've ever made it 6 weeks.
No kidding, where the hell are you guys hanging out that you are getting hit on by all these theists?

Is it possible that your overt atheism invites this?

I simply don't talk about religion, and people simply don't talk about religion with me. It's not that hard, and takes absolutely no effort. Everyone I work with knows my background, they know what I do, they know I carry a gun everywhere but were I work, they know I have taught classes on how to choose a defensive carry gun at my local gun club, they know that I am a subject matter expert in wound ballistics, an avid hunter, and a carnivore.

I'd guess that maybe two people know I am agnostic. It simply, almost never comes up in conversation. It it a Texas thing? Hell, I don't know. I simply find it hard to believe that people are being bombarded with religious messages on a daily basis.

Maybe I'm more tolerant. I do cook a turkey or two on thanksgiving (killed one of 'em myself this year). My family does exchange gifts on Christmas. No one believes in santa.

None of my family clubs the bell ringers over the head outside of stores. None of my family is homophobic. None of my family is antisemitic, antichristian.... I'll admit to being a little leery of certain sects of islam and openly upset about the WBC/Phelps clan. I've pulled out my wallet and emptied it when a patient entered my exam room wearing a Patriot Guard Rider's vest. Those guys are really cool. Donate to them if you have a few extra dollars hanging around.

But no kidding, how often are people trying to openly get you to join their religion (other than the atheists here).

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 20:48   #87
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Where are you going that you are not?

Anyway, if this really is true, then I understand why you can't figure out why we care about it.
Not sure if there is a typo there or not?????

I've not been anywhere that I have not gone.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-16-2013 at 20:49..
Old 01-16-2013, 21:08   #88
Syclone538

Quote:
Not sure if there is a typo there or not?????

I've not been anywhere that I have not gone.
Sorry, I bolded the part that was in response to.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 21:15   #89
Syclone538

Quote:
No kidding, where the hell are you guys hanging out that you are getting hit on by all these theists?

Is it possible that your overt atheism invites this?

I simply don't talk about religion, and people simply don't talk about religion with me. It's not that hard, and takes absolutely no effort. Everyone I work with knows my background, they know what I do, they know I carry a gun everywhere but were I work, they know I have taught classes on how to choose a defensive carry gun at my local gun club, they know that I am a subject matter expert in wound ballistics, an avid hunter, and a carnivore.

I'd guess that maybe two people know I am agnostic. It simply, almost never comes up in conversation. It it a Texas thing? Hell, I don't know. I simply find it hard to believe that people are being bombarded with religious messages on a daily basis.

Maybe I'm more tolerant. I do cook a turkey or two on thanksgiving (killed one of 'em myself this year). My family does exchange gifts on Christmas. No one believes in santa.

None of my family clubs the bell ringers over the head outside of stores. None of my family is homophobic. None of my family is antisemitic, antichristian.... I'll admit to being a little leery of certain sects of islam and openly upset about the WBC/Phelps clan. I've pulled out my wallet and emptied it when a patient entered my exam room wearing a Patriot Guard Rider's vest. Those guys are really cool. Donate to them if you have a few extra dollars hanging around.

But no kidding, how often are people trying to openly get you to join their religion (other than the atheists here).

I don't feel like taking the time to divide up your post and respond to each part, so I'll just go in order.

That's just the way it's always been.

No. Most people think I'm Christian, and I let them, because it would devastate my mother and grandmother to learn I'm not.

I don't remember starting a conversation on religion, at all.

I think there are 5 people that know I'm atheist.

At least once a month.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 21:24   #90
Made Man
Glock-o-holic

There is no mythical "god", any non-niěve person will agree. People that need a crutch/government, maybe they need to "let go" of their "mass murder pills".

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps
.40 S&W Club #423
Black Rifle Club #606
INFIDEL
Made Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:28   #91
chickenwing

Quote:
Darn, I thought we were starting to get along. Oh well, lets try again.

I've not been proselytized to by a person in real life, other than one atheist in the last 2 years. He's a nice guy, a Nurse Practitioner that is not overtly, but openly gay, his partner comes by and has lunch with him on occasion, as far as I can tell, everybody likes them both a lot. He has a huge party out at their ranch once a year, and invites about a hundred people to a great bar-b-Que and hay rides for the kids. He's rather upset that some christians don't approve of his lifestyle, while several openly christian and muslim, and hindu people around us have always shown him respect. One day when we were alone, he cut loose, and spouted a large amount of bile and vitriol against christians. I simply reminded him that I wasn't one, but that he should not be too upset about how things were around here. While not perfect, they were headed that way, and if he really wanted to rant against a religion, he could pick a better one.

Religious Issues

I do not consider myself a member of any religion. I don't take offense at the atheists that want to say agnosticism is a religion. I simply know what I know, and accept what I don't.

I find it hard to believe that some of you take such great offense at indirect proselytizing, while proselytizing directly, and cannot realize it.

It's very evident.
My disagreement with you on this subject has nothing to do with getting along with you. I clarified your position because it was true. g36 was wrong.

The rest is hyperbole. That is your experience, others have had different experiences.

Your argument is definitely your opinion, but it's wrong and doesn't stack up.

You say you don't know if a god exists or not, fine. The real question is do you "believe" in a god or gods?

And for someone who doesn't know if there is a god, you make it plain that you know what atheist believe. Kind of funny.

Last edited by chickenwing; 01-16-2013 at 21:34..
chickenwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:31   #92
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I don't feel like taking the time to divide up your post and respond to each part, so I'll just go in order.

That's just the way it's always been.

No. Most people think I'm Christian, and I let them, because it would devastate my mother and grandmother to learn I'm not.

I don't remember starting a conversation on religion, at all.

I think there are 5 people that know I'm atheist.

At least once a month.
I'm shocked. Where are these people approaching you? I get around a bit. I go to stores, restaurants, booster functions, school board meetings, car dealers, hospitals, and a lot of other places. I honestly can not remember more than a half dozen times when I have been politely invited to a religious service in the last 10 years. No one has pushed. Religion is a VERY rare subject where I work. I do see some people wearing religious symbols, but that's just for them, not something that others have to kiss or anything like that.

I am really perplexed. Around here, religion is not a topic of discussion unless invited.

I guess if I was being pressured all the time by theists, I would feel a bit differently. As you can tell here, that's not the source of most of the pressure I am getting.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 21:36   #93
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I'm sensing more selective hypersensitivity. It's becoming rather common, in a tiresome sort of way.
What I'm finding tiresome is your constant mischaracterization of my arguments. I said there was an ongoing national debate on these topics. Do you deny that?

Quote:
You are living in one of the most religiously free countries in the world. I'm not sure where your persecution complex originates, but I'm sure it is a dark place that you don't want to reveal.
My goal is to ensure it stays that way. I, personally, do not feel persecuted by any of these issues, but I also have no intention of standing idly by while others are persecuted. I guess it's that whole pesky oath of service thing nagging on my conscience.

Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:37   #94
Syclone538

Quote:
The odds that cellular life would spontaneously occur, has to be less than the probability that I will win the lottery next week, If I bothered to buy a ticket.
I can't be understanding you correctly here.

If the odds that cellular life would spontaneously occur are less then the odds of you winning the lottery next week, then the odds that it did not occur are the same as the odds that you will not win the lottery next week.

Is this what you mean to say?

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 21:37   #95
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
My disagreement with you on this subject has nothing to do with getting along with you. I clarified your position because it was true. g36 was wrong.

The rest is hyperbole. That is your experience, others have had different experiences.

Your argument is definitely your opinion, but it's wrong and doesn't stack up.

You say you don't know if a god exists or not, fine. The real question is do you "believe" in a god or gods?

And for someone who doesn't know if there is a god, you make it plain that you know what atheist believe. Kind of funny.

The truth? I believe it is reasonably possible that a deity has existed, or than none has ever existed. It's hard to give a digital number to an analog belief, but I'd estimate it approaches a 50/50 probability. Give or take about 20%.

I wasn't claiming that you thought I was right, just congratulating you on your sense of integrity. We don't have to agree to agree what is an honest argument or not.

Those two men didn't think it was hyperbole though. They were dead a very short time after that picture was taken. It's sad, but that is the reality in many places in the world. Life is much cheaper than it should be. Too many are killed for too little, and too many do much more than is required to earn death, and are allowed to live.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 21:44   #96
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Ok now I see how he figures his odds. Pulls them from his ass.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:45   #97
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
What I'm finding tiresome is your constant mischaracterization of my arguments. I said there was an ongoing national debate on these topics. Do you deny that?

My goal is to ensure it stays that way. I, personally, do not feel persecuted by any of these issues, but I also have no intention of standing idly by while others are persecuted. I guess it's that whole pesky oath of service thing nagging on my conscience.

Where are you getting your information. The secular vs. Theist policy fight has been moving steadily toward seculrism in the last 5 decades.

I now that you believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Tell you what, I'll concede that my entire line of reasoning was illegitimate if you concede that religion is a scourge on the human race that must be eliminated if we are ever to be truly free.

And then we'll call it... totally lopsided in my favor.

But your belief is not tolerant, and far from constitutional.

We are going to have to disagree, as there seems to be no way for us to agree on certain things.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 21:47   #98
Syclone538

Quote:
I'm shocked. Where are these people approaching you? I get around a bit. I go to stores, restaurants, booster functions, school board meetings, car dealers, hospitals, and a lot of other places. I honestly can not remember more than a half dozen times when I have been politely invited to a religious service in the last 10 years. No one has pushed. Religion is a VERY rare subject where I work. I do see some people wearing religious symbols, but that's just for them, not something that others have to kiss or anything like that.

I am really perplexed. Around here, religion is not a topic of discussion unless invited.

I guess if I was being pressured all the time by theists, I would feel a bit differently. As you can tell here, that's not the source of most of the pressure I am getting.
I don't go to booster functions or school board meetings, but otherwise, yes, all of the above.

The dealership doesn't really count though, as I worked there. The odds of it happening at a dealership now would be extremely low.

It is very rare that they are pushy. Pressured is not the word I would use.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 21:50   #99
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Ok now I see how he figures his odds. Pulls them from his ass.
GH, your burning ring of fire is not a place that I pull stats from.

But please, try to save a shred of your dignity here, and understand that analog belief systems are poorly described in digital terms.

Well, a shred may be too much to hope for, but you could try for the beginning of a shred. Give it a try.

Religious Issues

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 21:56   #100
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Where are you getting your information. The secular vs. Theist policy fight has been moving steadily toward seculrism in the last 5 decades.
Oh yes, the trend towards secularism is undeniable, but that does not mean the matter is settled. I don't intend to let the matter of individual liberty and freedom drop until it is ensured for everyone.

Quote:
But your belief is not tolerant, and far from constitutional.
Explain to me how arguing in favor of freedom of speech, religion and individual liberty for all is unconstitutional? I have a feeling this is another strawman for you. Freedom of religion does not include the right to dictate to others how they must live their life.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-16-2013 at 22:00..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote