Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2013, 19:05   #226
DaveD
Ex-Mod

For those that asked the law went into effect on Tuesday when it was signed (without the 3 day waiting period) Cuomo was afraid people would rush out to buy more evil weapons!

The line at the Buffalo Gun shop was around the block last Saturday and the wait at Gander Mountain is still 2 hours. Inventory is very limited everywhere. The good news is that every shop as of today is ignoring the new law as they have had no official notification on what they can and cannot do. You just need to find what you want FAST!

As for buying as many 10 round mags as possible, forget it they are sold out! (I did get mine).

As for my high capacity mags, they will be going to my residence in Florida. In fact they offer a Florida and Utah permit class here in upstate and I will be taking that next month. These two permits allow carry in multiple states.
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:05   #227
Baba Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
So the way I see it is that every State can pass their own Gun Control Laws, banning AW's and Hi Cap Mags. So why would the Federal Government bother with re-introducing the 94 Gun Ban Laws, just let each State control Guns in their State! Am I understanding this or am I confused! HELP!
You understand it. But for those pesky "Rights" States who want to safeguard Freedom, sometimes a bee up their knickers from Big Brother reminds them who gets the lions share of tax dollars from their citizens... ya know?

It's a Control Thing.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34   #228
Outer Rondacker

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.

- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05   #229
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rebel View Post
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.

- Thomas Jefferson

Ride on brother.

The spirit of our forebearers will inspire us to take back our liberties and strike down the authoritarian sculmbuckets that run this establishment.

"Government is a disease that masquerades as it's own cure." Robert Lefevre
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 15:05   #230
seassa

if only i could leave this God forsaken state.
Old 01-18-2013, 20:50   #231
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rebel View Post

- Thomas Jefferson
First allow me to state that I am not trying to be a dick here, but Thomas Jefferson never said this. Here is a brief explanation: if a law is unjust - quotation

Although here is another great quote for you, this one from the Supreme Court:

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.
-- Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)
Old 01-18-2013, 21:11   #232
silentpoet

I sent an email to the national Republican party asking about how they can keep such scumbags(I used different words) in their party. No answer as of yet, indicating they do not condemn such behavior.

On the other side, when is the first court case going to happen?
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:16   #233
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
So the way I see it is that every State can pass their own Gun Control Laws, banning AW's and Hi Cap Mags. So why would the Federal Government bother with re-introducing the 94 Gun Ban Laws, just let each State control Guns in their State! Am I understanding this or am I confused! HELP!
Even if a state passes an unconstitutional law it doesn't make it legal. Much in the way that congress can do the same. However, once(if) it is challenged in court it can be overturned (in this case for 2A violation). Just because the Feds aren't supposed to have micromanagement control over the states doesn't mean that a state can pass whatever BS it wants and trample all over your rights without facing opposition in court. There is precedence for this: D.C v. Heller -> McDonald v. Chicago. However, neither of these cases really clear up the overall gunban fiasco, and I am sure that we will see protracted battles over the next few years.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43   #234
DaveD
Ex-Mod

FAQ can be found here: www.NYSAFEact.com

This is just nuts!
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 15:09   #235
underwood

Seven rounds ...

Seven rounds? Which part of thin air did they pull THAT number out of? This is why normal people hate politicians.
underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 15:21   #236
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwood View Post
Seven rounds? Which part of thin air did they pull THAT number out of? This is why normal people hate politicians.
My take, because in the eyes of them no one makes a 7 round magazine. They probably didn't think of he 1911 or underestimate its draw. No one is going to cater to one state. So you make the fire arms makers the bad guy when you can't get a fire arm. Next the dealers will have nothing to sell or very little, so they start to drop of. Accept you can't buy ammo with out a dealer. So now the shops are they reason you can't get ammo. End the 2a issue by using the makers and dealers as your tool. You will disarm the entire state. It will take time but you will do it.
Old 01-19-2013, 15:50   #237
seassa

so I just came back from the SHOT show. I spoke with NRA-ILA and NSSF. They were not helpful. As I am already depressed and unhappy about the new law, the lack of support from NRA was scary. They had not read the new law (my attorney and I read it at the bar of the Ventian over two cigars and bourbon), and really implied that they were going to concentrate on national issues. Further, S&W, SIG, H&K, and Springfield told me they would not produce a 7 round magazine just for NYS. Glock said they would, but it would be AT LEAST one year, as they are 12 months back ordered on regular magazines. The gist is, as NY is the only crazy state that passed a random law, you are on your own. Now what about lawsuits? Well, I have lived in this damn state for 42 of my 44 years on this Earth. I lived through the 2000 Pataki ban, that was certianly going to be thrown out...never happened. This law will stand, we have no recourse once it hits the books.

I am looking for a home in Texas. They seem to like freedom there.

n2extrm is right. The end game here is disarmament, nothing else.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:11   #238
moeman

7 Rounds! Seven is 1911 terrotory!

We need to support NY in everyway... Don't let this get momentum!
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:18   #239
Happypuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seassa View Post
I am looking for a home in Texas. They seem to like freedom there.

n2extrm is right. The end game here is disarmament, nothing else.
IMO the most proactive is the Second Amendment Foundation I would check with them both the IL and NY challenges they started and the NRA cam in much later

I too agree they just want us disarmed. Don't forget even in Texas if it goes national they will take them as well. federal Law trumps State

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:49   #240
n2extrm

If you to the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association are in fact working on this with the NRA. Go to their web site for updates.

http://www.nysrpa.org/

I don't know if we will win, but I am hoping there is a chance. We need to call the law makers and let them know where we stand in a calm, respectful, non threatening, non violent way. Most of the association have letters you can copy and paste into an email or word document.

I believe support from people out of the state if also positive. This guy wants to run on a national level. Let him know Ohio, Texas where ever knows what he did and that its wrong.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:36   #241
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
...federal Law trumps State
Ya, but federal law is not enforced by state law enforcement. Similar to how marijuana use is against federal law, but individual states are legalizing for medicinal and recreational use. Only the alphabet agencies would enforce the federal law. It seems that a lot of states are trying to flex their muscles both in positive manner (protecting individual rights) and in negative manner (stripping individual rights).
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45   #242
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
For those that asked the law went into effect on Tuesday when it was signed (without the 3 day waiting period) Cuomo was afraid people would rush out to buy more evil weapons!

The line at the Buffalo Gun shop was around the block last Saturday and the wait at Gander Mountain is still 2 hours. Inventory is very limited everywhere. The good news is that every shop as of today is ignoring the new law as they have had no official notification on what they can and cannot do. You just need to find what you want FAST!

As for buying as many 10 round mags as possible, forget it they are sold out! (I did get mine).

As for my high capacity mags, they will be going to my residence in Florida. In fact they offer a Florida and Utah permit class here in upstate and I will be taking that next month. These two permits allow carry in multiple states.
It really sounds like the WWII has never ended and the Nazis are in America taking our rights away. Pretty sad if you ask me.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38   #243
Upstate Glocker

Cuomo is way more anti-2A than even Obama, if that's possible. Cuomo started to show his colors when he was Sec of Housing in the Clinton Admin and he tried to extort gun manufacturers into self-restrictions on functionality and features. The guy is a thug. Worse, he's a self-righteous thug. Doubly worse, he is a thug with the full support of New York's left-wing news media, that makes his every word sound like it came from Moses.

The real question is whether "assault weapon" owners will (a) register within 1 year as required, (b) modify their weapons so to not meet the assault weapon 1-part definition (detachable mag plus one "assault" feature like a pistol grip), or (c) sell their weapon out of state, or (d) head for the hills, buy PVC tubes, etc.

Its estimated there are over 1 million "assault" weapons in NYS -- anyone want to wager how many of them are registered as of Feb 1, 2014?
Upstate Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57   #244
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Glocker View Post
The real question is whether "assault weapon" owners will (a) register within 1 year as required, (b) modify their weapons so to not meet the assault weapon 1-part definition (detachable mag plus one "assault" feature like a pistol grip), or (c) sell their weapon out of state, or (d) head for the hills, buy PVC tubes, etc.

I am told that registration is mandatory by April 15th, 2013.
What is your source?

I was told that ammo restrictions are in place next year to allow the state a means of setting up the required background checks.

This is really horrible, and so blatant. It will be onerous, time consuming and counter productive to do background checks to purchase ammo.

Oh well, if I were an enterprising gray type citizen I would have no problem buying ammo in PA and selling it on the streets of NY to thugs for $50/box. After all, it would not be like I sold them a gun (or so the jaded amongst us will rationalize. I have zero intention of breaking any laws!)
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05   #245
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
This is really horrible, and so blatant. It will be onerous, time consuming and counter productive to do background checks to purchase ammo.
This is to make it so that you cannot buy ammo. There will be such a backlog of background checks that you wont be able to buy ammo in any reasonable amount of time.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07   #246
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
This is to make it so that you cannot buy ammo. There will be such a backlog of background checks that you wont be able to buy ammo in any reasonable amount of time.
No. Why do you insinuate such things? They would NEVER have that intent when the law was drafted!

Shame on you for even broaching such a dark thought. You should hug a tree as penance.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12   #247
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
you should hug a tree as penance.
I was going to try, but I like hugging trees nekked and its snowy out.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:17   #248
n2extrm

Quote:
I am told that registration is mandatory by April 15th, 2013.
What is your source?

I was told that ammo restrictions are in place next year to allow the state a means of setting up the required background checks.

Oh well, if I were an enterprising gray type citizen I would have no problem buying ammo in PA and selling it on the streets of NY to thugs for $50/box. After all, it would not be like I sold them a gun (or so the jaded amongst us will rationalize. I have zero intention of breaking any laws!)
Here is a link to the FAQ page they set up.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

You have a year from April 14 or 15 of 2013 to register or dispose of the evil weapons. They are supposed to have the forms online ready to go by April 14 or 15 of 2013 so that will give you one year. Oddly it says its free and you can mail it in? Now I know we are in trouble!

The ammo background check is the same time line as they have to set it up. No word on cost to us as purchasers or owners. They do say in the law that the cost of the system to conduct and record all of this will be bourn by the state. Which to means at some point we are all paying for it.

I printed all 34 pages (or what ever it was maybe 39) and I keep reading it. It is tricky because they randomly throw an item in in between something else, then they add something to a previous item later on that you might miss and break the first law because of something that is just a tad bit different in the second section, like calling it an ammunition feeding device and then broadening the the definition to mean almost anything. Hell I almost think the cardboard box the ammo came in is a problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20   #249
n2extrm

Can't figure out what this does to me as a C&R holder? And where a M1 Garand fits in? Is a clip a feeding device? Is it an antique? Can I store M1 ammo in the clips like it came in the surplus cans we all bought over the years????? Just when you think its an "antique" and safe to say its exempt, 5 pages later there is something else that makes it illegal???

Last edited by n2extrm; 01-20-2013 at 12:21..
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 16:23   #250
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Here is a link to the FAQ page they set up.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

You should simply read the law, since the 1st thing I clicked on (shotguns) is giving info that conflicts with the law. According to the law, even pump shotguns that can accept >7 rounds OR have a pistol grip, OR have a telescopic stock is an assault weapon. According to that FAQ it is not.

From that website:
Quote:
Please note: This website is informational only and does not constitute legal advice.