SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:03   #1
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
That question about Doctors asking about guns during a visit

I know this has been kicked around, but got this email which suggested if you answered one of three questions wrong, your CCL could get revoked :
-------------------------

Do you have a gun in the house?

GOOD TO KNOW!

When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit.

FYI, I am passing this along... there are comments from two other people I have also been asked if we keep guns in the house. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask.

Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack.

The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else.

Just passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation.. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house?? My answer was None of your damn business!!

So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!

Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners... Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctor's appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me that if I had answered yes to any of the questions I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED !

If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.
--------------
BS or something to this?
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20   #2
CAcop

Probably BS if it was in an email that had "pass this along" at the end of it.

BTW docs do use guns as one of the risk factors for suicide. Same as if they prescribe you meds that can be used for suicide. Just because you have them doesn't mean you will use them for that purpose.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33   #3
coastal4974

I'm concerned that the gubmint will intentionally over diagnose conditions like PTSD in an effort to disqualify vetrans owning guns.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

What is so hard about saying no when the question is posed?

Last edited by eb07; 01-27-2013 at 07:42..
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46   #5
Big House
Biggest member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Probably BS if it was in an email that had "pass this along" at the end of it.

BTW docs do use guns as one of the risk factors for suicide. Same as if they prescribe you meds that can be used for suicide. Just because you have them doesn't mean you will use them for that purpose.
It's not BS, I've been asked. I was being seen for a sore knee.
Big House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52   #6
Huaco Kid

The same answer I give the TSA for 99% of the questions they ask me:

"That doesn't concern you."
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06   #7
Hailstorm
Boom Shacka

I left that blank. No other question was asked. Last time I went to a Civy Doctor.

I have also been going to VA for afew years now. I do recall the are you feeling depressed, threatoned questions. I realize some of us are messed up and those questions need to be asked.

Come to think about it. My Doc does ask me a couple questions like those everytime I go in. But, not do you have guns.

The government already knows I have guns. So what. I probly am on the trouble maker list as well.

Last edited by Hailstorm; 01-27-2013 at 08:07..
Hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07   #8
sputnik767

As a current medical student, we were never taught or instructed to ask about guns, either by my school or by any hospital that I rotated through so far. And I am studying in NYC. There may have been various organizations that have been promoting these types of questions, but it is still up to the doctor. I have been reamed out in the OR right after Sandy Hook because the plastic surgeon asked me if I was an NRA member upon finding out that I am from VA, and I answered yes. Incidentally, the female surgeon who was also on the case loved shooting. And it didn't help when my friend who was scrubbed on the case as well told him that we would shoot my AK back in Virginia. Point is, doctors are people from all walks of life and they all have their opinions on right and wrong. If you get asked a question about guns, it's because the doctor chooses to, not because he or she has to. And you can answer truthfully, not answer at all, or find a doc who doesn't ask these questions. Let's not make a bigger deal out of this than it should be. It is very insignificant in the end.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10   #9
Maxx702
Infamous Member

My response would be simple:

NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS!!!!
Maxx702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42   #10
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal4974 View Post
I'm concerned that the gubmint will intentionally over diagnose conditions like PTSD in an effort to disqualify vetrans owning guns.
Here is why you never have to worry about a PTSD diagnoses preventing you from owning guns:

1/3 of all current police officers suffer from PTSD enough they would be diagnosed with it under the guidelines of the DSM-IV.

If they cannot be trusted with guns due to work related pychological trauma because of a diagnosis of PTSD then a little over 200,000 officers would have to be pensioned out.

After a cop killed his ex-fiancee and then himself over a decade ago a state legislator got the idea to mandate psychological testing for officers every three years. (The guy had 3-4 years on and some of our people knew him from the academy.) The bill was quickly killed when cities and counties started pointing out the cost of treatment and pensions.

Trust me it is a pandora's box they do not want to open.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50   #11
dougader

This is a good post by Russ that includes a link by an MD about this question. It's a good read, and more factually based than simple internet emails that get passed around:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...hlight=medical

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 01-28-2013 at 06:18..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56   #12
pipedreams

When my wife was ready to be released from the hospital last year the nurse ask her: 1. Did she feel safe at home? Later when she did a follow up with the doctor he brought up the subject of guns in a rather different way. He said "this most likely doesn't apply to you but is there a chance that you shoot guns?" She had a pacemaker installed and he wanted to be sure she didn't shoot with that side but it would be safe with the other shoulder. I think he was a good honest guy but you never know what goes into your file.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57   #13
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

You are not required to give an answer, nor an explanation.
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07   #14
jbailey8

Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey8
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal4974 View Post
I've wondered about this too. I went to the VA a few months ago to do a couples communication class that they were offering to married couples. The lady insisted that I speak to her privately as she suspected our communication issues were PTSD related. After one conversation she diagnosed me with PTSD and asked how I felt about that. I told her that I disagreed and that I've heard of veterans that needed fiduciaries being ineligible to own guns. She insisted that I was just being "paranoid". I got a really liberal vibe from her and she told me that me needing to carry a gun was just paranoia. I told her that me carrying a gun was no more paranoid than her wearing a seatbelt in case of an accident. She said they were apples and oranges. I disagreed and left when my session was up. Haven't been back since.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jbailey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:56   #15
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

The answer of course is always NO
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:04   #16
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

A polite "no" seems sufficient to me.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:20   #17
guns54
toni

I didnt it was hard to say no.
Old 01-27-2013, 14:42   #18
nursetim

Asked if you feel stressed? Who doesn't? If you say you feel stressed you lose your CCW? I call shenanigans.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14   #19
Psychman
NRA Life Member

The "Government" doesn't require any health care provider to ask about firearms in the home. The email the OP quoted is basically BS.

On the other hand, please don't sue me if I ask you if there are unsecured guns in the home when talking to you about your Demented relative or seriously mentally ill relative and you lie to me and the relative ends up with a self inflicted gunshot wound or shoots somebody else.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31   #20
JohnBT
NRA Patron

www.snopes.com/politics/guns/medicare.asp

"Last updated: 16 January 2013"
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04   #21
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
What is so hard about saying no when the question is posed?
Exactly. You're not under oath and it's none of their damn business. Unless you ARE suicidal or thinking of hurting others, then please say yes
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38   #22
John Rambo
Raven

I remember going to the doc with my sidearm on me, IWB 9 o'clock. He had me pull up my shirt for something. Looked right at it and you know what? Nothing happened, we just continued with the visit.

More and more lately, I'm convinced that people are simply getting what they ask for in life.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45   #23
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

IIRC, one of the major Pediatrics Associations does advocate no guns in a home with children. I had a pretty big fight over it once when I was an intern. Not the best way to ingratiate yourself with the staff but I was only there for a month, so who cared?

The AMA may be anti-gun as well but I wouldn't know since I've ripped up everything from them for a decade or more. Their alarmist "YOUR BILL IS OVERDUE" style of marketing is particularly annoying since I bet quite a few docs get snared by it when their spouses or receptionists pay it thinking it is a legit "bill" rather than a disguised membership dues form.

Using a routine health care visit as an opportunity to educate is one thing (and there is a long list of sorta "common sense" stuff they want docs to talk about, like not smoking around kids, wearing seat belts, etc) but since lots of docs, like lots of people, are pretty ignorant about guns they just look foolish and lose credibility trying to discuss gun safes and gun locks.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote