SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 13:40   #151
tslex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
And how could background checks on all private sales be enforced unless there is registration of all guns in private hands?
This.

The problem with background checks being expanded to private sales (leaving aside for a moment whether you think background checks of any sort for any sale to anyone are an infringement of the 2dA) is that there can be no regulation of private sales without registration, either retroactive or on a rolling forward basis.

Establishing "universal background checks" is at least a more honest description than "closing the gun show loophole" (which doesn't exist: http://suburbansheepdog.blogspot.com/2012/12/drift.html) but never imagine it is some small thing. It is not, it is a BIG deal and will make the grabbers' next step next time all the easier to accomplish.
tslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 13:41   #152
fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
It doesn't matter what the White House said. They don't have the votes in the Senate. Biden knows this, as a veteran of the Senate.

I'll say it again. Vulnerable democrat senators are up for reelection in 2014. They won't touch the third rail.

This also has no chance in the House.

I don't see how this is so hard to understand.

AGREE w/ you. Your comments in this thread are seemingly all valid and accurate.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 13:55   #153
tslex

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Been prescribed an SSRI during a divorce?

Treated for anxiety during a stressful time?

ADD? As a child?

PTSD?

Sought counseling for marital problems?
And this, in some form.

"Mentally ill," is such a malleable term.
Old 01-14-2013, 14:05   #154
tslex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
This I would agree with is someone ends up on medication for mental health the doctor should report it to the FBI so they cannot buy a gun, . . . .

Really. Hmmmm. You mean as in:

Husband is distraught over wife and son's death in horrible car accident. Family doctor prescribes four Xanax, to take as needed, to help get him through the funeral.

OR

Recovering alcoholic police officer receives Zolpidem to manage insomnia associated with recovery.

OR

College student gets Aderol (sp?) to assist with managing ADD under a hevay course load.

OR

young mother is treated for post-partum depression with a year-long course of Zoloft.

Got it. Great plan.
Old 01-14-2013, 14:18   #155
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella View Post
AGREE w/ you. Your comments in this thread are seemingly all valid and accurate.
But plenty of us are being slammed by our states. Hell, NY wants 7 round limits on magazines, CT senator proposed a 1 shot limit.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 14:24   #156
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
But plenty of us are being slammed by our states. Hell, NY wants 7 round limits on magazines, CT senator proposed a 1 shot limit.
Well if 1 shot then I predict Taurus will make the Judge in 10 Gauge.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 14:26   #157
DanaT
Pharaoh

I think the Fiscal cliff and the upcoming debt ceiling negotiations with the house are the killers for any gun control legislation.

Obama has said he wont negotiate on anything the republicans, and especially Boehner, want with respect to fiscal issues. Now he wants something from the republicans, to get a bill on control out of committee. Guess who control that?

Do you really think Boehner has forgotten Obama's statements on the debt ceiling from, say yesterday or today, and will help Obama along when very few republicans (18% according to this article http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/14/po...html?hpt=hp_t3 ) think something more needs to be done? Why would Boehner want to expend any effort giving Obama what he wants when his voters dont support it?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 14:30   #158
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I think the Fiscal cliff and the upcoming debt ceiling negotiations with the house are the killers for any gun control legislation.

Obama has said he wont negotiate on anything the republicans, and especially Boehner, want with respect to fiscal issues. Now he wants something from the republicans, to get a bill on control out of committee. Guess who control that?

Do you really think Boehner has forgotten Obama's statements on the debt ceiling from, say yesterday or today, and will help Obama along when very few republicans (18% according to this article http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/14/po...html?hpt=hp_t3 ) think something more needs to be done? Why would Boehner want to expend any effort giving Obama what he wants when his voters dont support it?
Gridlock is good for freedom

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 14:37   #159
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Im sure glad i bought a lifetime supply of everything before the Marxist thug got sworn in.
Old 01-14-2013, 14:45   #160
clinttho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslex View Post
Really. Hmmmm. You mean as in:

Husband is distraught over wife and son's death in horrible car accident. Family doctor prescribes four Xanax, to take as needed, to help get him through the funeral.

OR

Recovering alcoholic police officer receives Zolpidem to manage insomnia associated with recovery.

OR

College student gets Aderol (sp?) to assist with managing ADD under a hevay course load.

OR

young mother is treated for post-partum depression with a year-long course of Zoloft.

Got it. Great plan.
Agree, liquor stores should also report all purchases beer in amounts above six cans or bottles and anything containing more than 10% abv to the FBI to prevent those who alter their brain chemistry with liquor from buying a gun. Maybe Starbucks should start reporting espresso drinkers, too? Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:09   #161
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
This I would agree with is someone ends up on medication for mental health the doctor should report it to the FBI so they cannot buy a gun, what also needs to end is using a insanity plea to skirt the death penalty so people like the guy who shot up movie theater can get off using it. With all the planning he put into it with the booby traps and everything else, he is not insane, not completely anyway. Besides, whether your insane or not your still a menace to society. They should get the death penalty.
What bothers me is, if your just accused, not convicted mind you,of a domestic dispute you loose all your guns and gun buying privileges, but yet someone who is under the care of a mental health doctor can get all the guns they want. Our laws are messed up
Are you ******* kidding me? Why should the government be privvy to your medical records for ANY reason?

I swear. Some of you people will just roll over like a dog for the government to scratch your belly

Old 01-14-2013, 15:14   #162
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
This I would agree with is someone ends up on medication for mental health the doctor should report it to the FBI so they cannot buy a gun, what also needs to end is using a insanity plea to skirt the death penalty so people like the guy who shot up movie theater can get off using it. With all the planning he put into it with the booby traps and everything else, he is not insane, not completely anyway. Besides, whether your insane or not your still a menace to society. They should get the death penalty.
What bothers me is, if your just accused, not convicted mind you,of a domestic dispute you loose all your guns and gun buying privileges, but yet someone who is under the care of a mental health doctor can get all the guns they want. Our laws are messed up
Anyone who drinks more than 2 drinks per day is using more than the medically recommended amount of alcohol and should be prohibited gun ownership.

Jesus would people think beyond the end of their nose before surrendering liberty for everyone?

Old 01-14-2013, 15:17   #163
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Anyone who drinks more than 2 drinks per day is using more than the medically recommended amount of alcohol
Not here. That is minimum recommended daily dose of beer. And I am talking 2 half liters...not two third liters.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:23   #164
t4terrific

Big changes coming folks. The Repugnicons will surely let us down again. The Democraps will get much of what they want because The People are weak, and always play along.
t4terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:39   #165
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
I've heard that they are still pushing magazine capacity.
I agree. Even though they may state otherwise the liberal antis cannot be trusted.

I do not see the prices going back down for a long while.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:40   #166
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Not true. I could see many getting a FFL to facilitate FTF sales for a nominal fee (or perhaps rely on donations to cover said FFL).
Hell, I'd think about doing it.
This will be what happens. Will be a good time to have an FFL just to do this. $200 bucks for $35-$50 bucks per several times per day. It will actually be a money maker for small gun shops big time.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:46   #167
spcwes

Quote:
Reports are that the Biden committee will announce tougher background checks to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of the mentally ill, a nationwide discussion on mental health, and school safety initiatives.

No restriction on assault weapons or mags or ammo.

Biden has said that his Senate colleagues universally opposed any gun control. So, Obama blames Congress for no restrictions.

I think they knew this was a dog and pony show gamble. If they won, they claim success, if they lose, they blame Congress.

Come Tuesday, those folks that paid $2000 for a $600 DPMS are gonna feel pretty darn stupid. The buyers market will be back by Spring.
Restless I read your posts on a regular basis and pretty well support your thought processes and enjoy reading them but can you show us some links to this "not happening" so we can all feel better about this. I can't really find anything other than speculation and posts to the contrary. Thanks,.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
Old 01-14-2013, 16:09   #168
No Quarter

To be contrary, I think we will have a lot of new gun owners and gun owners that stocked up on what they had previously not had be very thankful that they had the opportunity to pick up whatever firearms they bought.

If you avoided a car crash while driving at 100 mph and got away with your life, do you floor it again as soon as you are on a clear road? Only fools do so. Prudent people realize that they dodged a bullet (horrible pun) and need to be more careful as they just experienced first hand what could have happened.

If anyone thinks that this administration will accept defeat in pushing its agenda forward, I have some PMAGS I'll sell you for $500 each

Seriously though, my freedom to own what I wish and have the means to practice my 2nd amendment rights means more to me, and I suspect others feel the same, than paying a few hundred extra dollars for something that I just now realized could go away with the insane stroke of a dictator's pen.

If anyone over the next year has second thoughts and says, hmmm, I could use that extra $$$ for a new "whatever" and sells the very firearms that they felt compelled to buy as a result of the fear of it being taken away, they are a special kind of stupid that only Darwin can resolve.

Constant vigilance takes will power and a dedication to knowing you are right. Vigilant Americans understand that they should never be lulled into a false sense of confidence.

If they do not succeed this time, they will keep trying until they do. It is inevitable that another shooting will occur somewhere. They will learn from their mistakes this time and be better at playing on human emotion, cowardice and fear the next go around.

No Quarter
Old 01-14-2013, 16:15   #169
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
Restless I read your posts on a regular basis and pretty well support your thought processes and enjoy reading them but can you show us some links to this "not happening" so we can all feel better about this. I can't really find anything other than speculation and posts to the contrary. Thanks,.
Thank you.

I gathered this from watching Manchin and McCain on Sunday, Keene and Platt's comments over the weekend, and reports leaked from the Senate on news sites that the votes were not there for Biden.

The combination of these led me to conclude that most of Obama and Biden and a few democratic Congressmen, are doing nothing more than saber rattling and pandering.

They know that they don't have the votes. They are telegraphing this without saying it. That's why Obama keeps beating the EO drum.

I'll also add that I believe that his bully pulpit arrogance is wearing thin on both parties in Congress. Most of the Congress has many years of experience and demand respect. I imagine they feel disrespected. They are the legislators and I wager that many of them have told Biden, who is close to them, this very thing.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:21   #170
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Do not find solace or victory if they only go after universal background checks. That's just sliding the noose around your neck

Old 01-14-2013, 16:41   #171
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

This is from the news conference with Obama today.
Quote:
Q: On the issue of guns, given how difficult it will be, some would say impossible, to get any gun control measure passed through this Congress, what are you willing or able to do using the powers of your presidency to act without Congress?

Obama:
A: I think that, you know, those of us who look at this problem have repeatedly said that responsible gun owners, people who have a gun for protection, for hunting, for sportsmanship -- they don’t have anything to worry about. The issue here is not whether or not we believe in the Second Amendment.

The issue is, are there some sensible steps that we can take to make sure that somebody like the individual in Newtown can’t walk into a school and gun down a bunch of children in a -- in a shockingly rapid fashion? And surely we can do something about that.
Why was the shockingly rapid fashion bit thrown in there? We can only assume he is referring to "high capacity" magazines and "assault weapons." Sounds like he is planning to act on these items and believes they are fair game for his Executive powers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/us...anted=all&_r=0

Last edited by Fear Night; 01-14-2013 at 16:43..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:41   #172
RayB
Retired Member

What The Man said in a public statement, was this:

"I'm confident there are some steps we can take that don't require legislation and that are within my authority as president."

Forgive me, but I can't seem to recall any previous president making quite the same statement at a public address...

I think we should be prepared to hear a lot more statements like that one, in the next four years...

And yes, I'd be more comfortable with Romney-Ryan at the helm right now...

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:50   #173
humanguerrilla

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 01-14-2013 at 16:51..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:54   #174
spcwes

Quote:
Thank you.

I gathered this from watching Manchin and McCain on Sunday, Keene and Platt's comments over the weekend, and reports leaked from the Senate on news sites that the votes were not there for Biden.

The combination of these led me to conclude that most of Obama and Biden and a few democratic Congressmen, are doing nothing more than saber rattling and pandering.

They know that they don't have the votes. They are telegraphing this without saying it. That's why Obama keeps beating the EO drum.

I'll also add that I believe that his bully pulpit arrogance is wearing thin on both parties in Congress. Most of the Congress has many years of experience and demand respect. I imagine they feel disrespected. They are the legislators and I wager that many of them have told Biden, who is close to them, this very thing.
No I agree with this info and have seen it but during the 2004 ban we had stuff like this being discussed as well. Was just curious and have high hopes but I don't think it will come across like this tomorrow. I think they will keep banging the drum talking about this and that and will do so until they get something passed no matter how small.

I do think we have greater issues to discuss than gun control, it is by far not the epidemic it is made out to be. I hate to say it but I have seen police chiefs in violent cities blaming guns for violence in just the last week while never mentioning that trying to own a gun in the city is almost criminal. Or that most of the city is gun free zones stacked on top of one another.
Old 01-14-2013, 17:03   #175
TeoK

Universal Background Checks – We Should Support It

"I honestly don't care about [private sales background checks]. It isn't a big deal, we do it here. Take 2 seconds and doesn't cost anything. This is a compromise we should be willing to make to avoid any awb or mag ban."

I couldn't agree much more except that we should not call it a "compromise." We should have gotten out ahead of the issue over the universal background check and insisted upon it as responsible gun owners. The cost and specific procedures are negotiable, but what's the BFD about taking a little more time to meet at an FFL to make sure we don't sell our guns to criminals or insane people?

Last edited by TeoK; 01-14-2013 at 17:17..
TeoK is offline   Reply With Quote