GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 18:18   #51
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 4,869


Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
And how could background checks on all private sales be enforced unless there is registration of all guns in private hands?
Same way they enforce the ban on felons possessing firearms. They opportunistically catch someone and prosecute, maybe if they don't have anything else. Or maybe in this case, through sting operations at gun shows, and personal ads.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:19   #52
Glotin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
I honestly don't care about this. It isn't a big deal, we do it here. Take 2 seconds and doesn't cost anything. This is a compromise we should be willing to make to avoid any awb or mag ban.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
This is a thoroughly stupid attitude. You might want to rethink it.
__________________
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:23   #53
harlenm
Senior Member
 
harlenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: CT
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
This is a thoroughly stupid attitude. You might want to rethink it.
Why is it stupid?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:26   #54
norton
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Land of Lincoln, the growing years
Posts: 6,607
Personally I am glad to see the run on firearms and ammo/mags. It sends a clear message to the Bamster and his little minions that there are lots of folks-read voters-who want and need firearms.
And even through Barry won't be running again, he needs the support of Democrats in the House and Senate who will have to face their voters on any anti 2nd amendment legislation they support.
Don't think the increase in sales hasn't been noticed.
__________________
Tinker to Evers to Chance.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:31   #55
HarleyGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,014
I still say that in the day of computers there's no reason why anyone with access to a computer couldn't apply for an "authorization to purchase a firearm, and then immediately (or as soon as NICS could reply) be sent sent an anthorization number that would allow a firearms transfer between two individuals.

Who would be so dumb to apply for such an authorization and then not strictly follow the law when buying/selling any firearm?
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:33   #56
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,549
We truly are our own worst enemy.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:34   #57
klmmicro
Senior Member
 
klmmicro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South End of the Left Coast
Posts: 2,575
Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Guy View Post
Should this be true, when people want to return their premium priced purchases to the retailers, things could get interesting.
Most likely nothing is going to come of this. Come Tuesday, our firearms will still be legal and nothing will really have changed over the eve.

At that point, anyone attempting to return a firearm that they paid well over MSRP should get current fair market value as a refund...it is no the retailers fault that the consumers were stupid.
__________________
"The sword that cuts down evil is the sword that gives life"

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:34   #58
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,360


Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Why is it stupid?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Because it's the kind of damnyankee liberal compromises that lead to more and more gun control instead of our God given right, constitutionally recognized, to keep and bear arms. Period.

If I can't pass my guns down to my heirs, are they really mine or are they now Obamas?

If I can't sell something, do I even own it?

Why should I need the government's permission to buy a gun?

Keep your infringements to yourself.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:35   #59
JimBean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 228
The antigun pansies lost this one really bad.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:36   #60
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?
 
Rooster Rugburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hopefully, on your ignore list
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
I certainly hope what the OP stated is true.

I do expect BHO to push the Executive Order 'envelope' just as far as he legally can.

I fully expect him to state a bunch of bovine scatology.
I think if he could legally, he would already have done it. Seriously. They had duly sworn law enforcement officers selling and transferring guns to Mexican drug cartels to generate enough public sentiment for a ban. If a federal bureaucrat hadn't been killed, we might not have known about Fast and Furious. To me that is an indication that he either cannot use EO, or knows it won't hold up if he did.

You have to wonder too, what else do they have duly sworn law enforcement officers doing right now that break the law? And do they not care about their oath? Apparently not. Has any specific agent been charged in Fast and Furious?

And they wonder why there are conspiracy theorists.
__________________
Sent from American Standard low flow using Crappertalk.


Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:40   #61
TurboRocket
Senior Member
 
TurboRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South of Utopia
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Why is it stupid?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Incrementalism. Slippery slope.
__________________
Martial Blade Concepts

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:45   #62
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe
 
BobbyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In The Noise
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter82 View Post
Sure did get the firearms economy going. Retailers sold 5 years worth of ammo and mags in 30 days. Boy there are going to be some pissed off folks when they see these mags and ARs they bought for 500% markup settle back down. Can't wait to see my local gun trader website flush with for sale ads stating "but I paid $2000 for it and I'd like to get at least $1950".


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
IF it settles back down. It may be like sugar years ago. Sugar went up so everything that had sugar in it went up. Sugar went down and all the sugar related products stayed high and still are.
__________________
I don't mind shooting, as long as the right person gets shot! - D. Harry
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:46   #63
PocketProtector
Senior Member
 
PocketProtector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PhillyBurbs
Posts: 749
First, it's not compromise when one side gives up nothing. Giving up a demand Is not giving up something.

Second, what does any of this have to do with SH or gun violence?
Nothing.

To stop gun violence, you start with lenient judges and parole boards. No one should have a lengthy rap sheet.
One violent strike and you're out.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan October 27, 1964
PocketProtector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:47   #64
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen
 
SpectreRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoFla... want to move to America.
Posts: 912
My predictions for the recommendations to be made on tuesday:

Three things and all are for different purposes-

An assault weapons ban.... They will not pursue it with any vigor. It is only included to provoke the expected wailing and gnashing of teeth from gun owner and the NRA and then to be dropped as a show of compromise.

Ten round magazine restriction.... They will push for this one fairly hard, because they think they can sell it to the public as "reasonable" and because not going for it hard would be letting a good crisis go to waste. They honestly believe this might help.

Universal background checks..... This is the one they really want. There will be no compromise here. They want it and they are going to get it. It is backdoor registration because it will force a paper trail for every gun transfer going forward. Later they will find an excuse to push for centralizing all the data collected on the Form 4473. They want this for the future as a step towards disarming america. This will be part of the foundation laid down early that full registration will be built on.

There will be a couple of other things, better data sharing and collection for mental problems for example, but the meat of it is going to be the Universal background check.
They may or may not get the mag restriction, but if they don't you can bet they will bring it to a vote and use a vote against the bill to microtarget electioneering to paint those opposed as being in the pocket of the NRA and more concerned with keeping HIGH CAPACITY ASSAULT MAGAZINES available than protecting your children. There are voters who will be swayed by that.

I saw earlier someone post that we "could not expect to come out of this unscathed" and that we should accept background checks as the price of not having an assault weapons ban. To that I say WTF did any responsible gun owner do wrong! Accept nothing. Fight for every inch of ground. Write your elected officials. Join NRA or GOA. Make a donation if already a member. Talk to family and friends to see if you can get them involved.

And remember....

A FREE PEOPLE CAN BE DISARMED IN THE FACE OF TYRANNY ONLY ONE TIME.
__________________
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more. -neil peart
What too many in America are missing is a sense of personal responsibility. -me
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by SpectreRider; 01-13-2013 at 18:58..
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:49   #65
fusegsp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post


Who takes returns on guns and ammo?
I exchanged a gun once. I bought a 50th anniversary Ruger single six that had a deep groove in the ejector rod shroud. They applied the finish over the defect and I didn't notice it when I bought it. I took it back and they exchanged it for another single six no questions asked.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:49   #66
OrangePwr9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY, North of the Fingerlakes
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
I think if he could legally, he would already have done it. Seriously. They had duly sworn law enforcement officers selling and transferring guns to Mexican drug cartels to generate enough public sentiment for a ban. If a federal bureaucrat hadn't been killed, we might not have known about Fast and Furious. To me that is an indication that he either cannot use EO, or knows it won't hold up if he did.

You have to wonder too, what else do they have duly sworn law enforcement officers doing right now that break the law? And do they not care about their oath? Apparently not. Has any specific agent been charged in Fast and Furious?

And they wonder why there are conspiracy theorists.
Speaking of conspiracies and questionable activities of duly sworn LE officers, where's Hillary?
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:54   #67
paynter2
It ain't over
 
paynter2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: upper mid-west
Posts: 8,699


Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Reports are that the Biden committee will announce tougher background checks to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of the mentally ill, a nationwide discussion on mental health, and school safety initiatives.

No restriction on assault weapons or mags or ammo.

Biden has said that his Senate colleagues universally opposed any gun control. So, Obama blames Congress for no restrictions.

I think they knew this was a dog and pony show gamble. If they won, they claim success, if they lose, they blame Congress.

Come Tuesday, those folks that paid $2000 for a $600 DPMS are gonna feel pretty darn stupid. The buyers market will be back by Spring.
Are you a betting man?
__________________
"Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous." ...William Proxmire, US senator, reformer (1915-2005)
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:54   #68
harlenm
Senior Member
 
harlenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: CT
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Because it's the kind of damnyankee liberal compromises that lead to more and more gun control instead of our God given right, constitutionally recognized, to keep and bear arms. Period.

If I can't pass my guns down to my heirs, are they really mine or are they now Obamas?

If I can't sell something, do I even own it?

Why should I need the government's permission to buy a gun?

Keep your infringements to yourself.
I've sold two rifles lately without a background check, one of them to someone I just met. We need to pick our battles, and there needs to be some compromising or we are going to end up losing badly. There is no need for a registry, there is no need for gov to know what we own or are trying to sell. A simple authorization and complete the sale.

If we don't come to an agreement we are going to look like a bunch of freaks that don't trust anyone and that don't care at all about all the innocent people murdered.

Don't agree with me, fine, I understand. But most of you guys aren't 10 miles away from sandy hook, a day don't know half the crap that we are dealing with here. I'm sorry, but this is going to be offered, and I think it's something to consider over the alternatives.


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:59   #69
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
I've sold two rifles lately without a background check, one of them to someone I just met. We need to pick our battles, and there needs to be some compromising or we are going to end up losing badly. There is no need for a registry, there is no need for gov to know what we own or are trying to sell. A simple authorization and complete the sale.

If we don't come to an agreement we are going to look like a bunch of freaks that don't trust anyone and that don't care at all about all the innocent people murdered.

Don't agree with me, fine, I understand. But most of you guys aren't 10 miles away from sandy hook, a day don't know half the crap that we are dealing with here. I'm sorry, but this is going to be offered, and I think it's something to consider over the alternatives.


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The only alternatives to "nothing" that I'd consider would be the repeal of '86, '68, and '34.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:00   #70
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?
 
Rooster Rugburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hopefully, on your ignore list
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRider View Post
My predictions for the recommendations to be made on tuesday:

Three things and all are for different purposes-

An assault weapons ban.... They will not pursue it with any vigor. It is only included to provoke the expected wailing and gnashing of teeth from gun owner and the NRA and then to be dropped as a show of compromise.

Ten round magazine restriction.... They will push for this one fairly hard, because they think they can sell it to the public as "reasonable" and because not going for it hard would be letting a good crisis go to waste. They honestly believe this might help.

Universal background checks..... This is the one they really want. There will be no compromise here. They want it and they are going to get it. It is backdoor registration because it will force a paper trail for every gun transfer going forward. Later they will find an excuse to push for centralizing all the data collected on the Form 4473. They want this for the future as a step towards disarming america. This will be part of the foundation laid down early that full registration will be built on.

There will be a couple of other things, better data sharing and collection for mental problems for example, but the meat of it is going to be the Universal background check.
They may or may not get the mag restriction, but if they don't you can bet they will bring it to a vote and use a vote against the bill to microtarget electioneering to paint those opposed as being in the pocket of the NRA and more concerned with keeping HIGH CAPACITY ASSAULT MAGAZINES available than protecting your children. There are voters who will be swayed by that.



Whatever they do, I expect them to slip in a database keeping records of purchases. Be it by EO or sneaking it in another bill.
__________________
Sent from American Standard low flow using Crappertalk.


Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:01   #71
Glotin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Why is it stupid?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
See below. Also, I probably should have said misguided instead of stupid. I'm not implying that you are stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
No compromise is acceptable.

Compromise to liberals means we pro-2nd Amendment citizens will settle for less freedoms, each and every time anything comes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
No .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Compromise on any gun control measure is like compromising with cancer cells.

We know where this leads.

They attack on a broad front, find something we are willing to compromise on, take it, wait and do it again and again, for decades if necessary until they get everything they want, which is of course the total disarmament of the people.

We will end up like the British, crime ridden, helpless and told constantly to fear everything but that our hard working government protectors are doing everything possible to protect us, they just need us to give up a few more liberties and it will all be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Exactly so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milspecnsn View Post
Agree! Compromise on NOTHING "compromising" = giving in to "incrementally" giving away tour rights a little bit at a time.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by milspecnsn View Post
Bet the storekeepers using their ARs and AKs during the King riots were happy to have 30 round mags as they kept the looters and rioters away. They took their positions from rooftops of businesses and homes to defend themselves. This was in the Korean community...how ironic is that? Do not compromise on standard capacity mags


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Because it's the kind of damnyankee liberal compromises that lead to more and more gun control instead of our God given right, constitutionally recognized, to keep and bear arms. Period.

If I can't pass my guns down to my heirs, are they really mine or are they now Obamas?

If I can't sell something, do I even own it?

Why should I need the government's permission to buy a gun?

Keep your infringements to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRocket View Post
Incrementalism. Slippery slope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
First, it's not compromise when one side gives up nothing. Giving up a demand Is not giving up something.

Second, what does any of this have to do with SH or gun violence?
Nothing.

To stop gun violence, you start with lenient judges and parole boards. No one should have a lengthy rap sheet.
One violent strike and you're out.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

The Law

Last edited by Glotin; 01-13-2013 at 19:02..
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:01   #72
HexHead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
Very very good question. If, once the new requirement is made known, you go ahead and sell a gun without a transfer, you will be technically breaking the law. How are they going to know? They might not ever know. But if something goes wrong, watch out.
Expect ATF undercover sting buys, just like the DEA does with drug dealers.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:02   #73
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynter2 View Post
Are you a betting man?
I would take that. I dont think there are going to be any significant changes.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:06   #74
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
It's pretty much all over the web. It's no secret that they have failed.
There's a lot of crap "all over the web". The latest thing today is that Walmart is no longer going to sell ammo.

I would hold off on the celebrations for at least bit longer.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 01-13-2013 at 19:06..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:10   #75
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen
 
SpectreRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoFla... want to move to America.
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
The only alternatives to "nothing" that I'd consider would be the repeal of '86, '68, and '34.
I like the way you think.

I would be just as happy for the courts to one day discover that all of that legislation is incompatable with the phrase "shall not be infringed".
__________________
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more. -neil peart
What too many in America are missing is a sense of personal responsibility. -me
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,100
326 Members
774 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42