Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:50   #41
jmorris

Quote:
If the LNL annoyed you to the point you went Dillon, I'd take that as a pretty good indication to stay away.
I have used Dillon presses since I was 13, when me an my Brother went in 50/50 on the $130 an SD cost.

Got the LNL presses more or less for the free bullets but also to have an informed opinion vs internet flaming.

I just don't understand why a company can't make a decent case feed. Hell, I through this one together in under 3 hours, once it was concluded on another form that a case fed SD was impossible.
http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/use...02172.mp4.html

Last edited by jmorris; 01-14-2013 at 08:56..
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55   #42
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablam View Post
Can the Dillon 650 be used without an automatic case feeder?
Sure, this will work. However, putting about 20 empties in the tube and running the handle for about a minute sort of defeats the purpose.

If it was a cashflow thing, like buying the case feeder the next month, then ok, manual feeding will work. As a long term solution, manual feeding is a waste of a very good press.

I have heard that some people extend the feed tube in an attempt to load even more cases.

Richard
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01   #43
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
So you implying he is right and others on this forum have essentially done the same thing are not being "honest". I have owned all three. The LoadMaster shouldn't even be compared to those two and the 650 is far better then the LnL. He even admits the LnL didn't work as good and he still preferred the LnL. That makes zero sense to me. What I learned from the article is the following....

Anyone can post anything they want on the internet. That doesn't make it true.

That article helped me rationalize a LnL over the 650 and that was a HUGE mistake.

I have a objective ways I can prove the Dillon is better. It's called a Caliber conversion kit. Look at all the caliber specific parts Dillon has that Hornady does not. It's those parts that make the 650 the better press.
Totally agree. While I have not owned all three, I have loaded on all three. You realy can not even compare the Lee regressive & the LNL in the same sentence & neither is even close to a 650. The priming feed on the 650 is so much better than either, that alone would be enough to warrant the slightly higher cost to a LNL. THe case feeder is also quite a bit better, a bonus.
If you want 700-800rds/hr w/ as little drama as can be, you buy the 650. FUlly upgraded for one caliber, all the little goodies needed to reload, you are under $1200. Over 20yrs of reloading, that is $5/m. Really, for $5/m you would buy anything else?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-14-2013 at 10:02..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:33   #44
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

I can see that objectivity is overflowing - as usual.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:38   #45
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
I just don't understand why a company can't make a decent case feed. Hell, I through this one together in under 3 hours, once it was concluded on another form that a case fed SD was impossible.
http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/use...02172.mp4.html
That's a very nice piece of work.

Richard
Old 01-15-2013, 00:54   #46
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
1) The 650 is a better machine PERIOD, but it is also twice as much if you included tool heads. The LnL takes some tweaking, Some of the machines are purely flawed apparently (Ex Colorado) but not all. I think the article has value, is it the bible on which press to get. Hell no. But neither is the words of a Dillon owner or a Hornady owner.
IT's just not twice as much. Equip them the same way, the 650 is about $75 more. The 650 comes with everything for the case feeder but the bowl, so price it all, add the early primer warning, about $75 diff. Yes a tool head cost more than the bushings but I have personally seen the bushings come loose when running the machine fast. Hornady will even provide you shims for the bushings, tells you something. You can certainly get a LNL to run, my machinist buddy has his puring like a kitten w/a bullet feeder, but then he has rebuilt about half of it.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2013 at 00:55..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46   #47
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Yes. I don't know why I don't come around here more often. I forget how fun these threads can be
LOL.. No kidding.

I've been working so much, etc.. just don't have much time for GT except really late at night/early AM.. and by then, it's pretty dead here, so I head to GNG... where something is always happening..lol.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote