Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 18:29   #1
Kablam

Lee Factory Crimp Die

I'm a little confused from all my reading here on final crimping for say 45acp. I know that taper crimping is what I want...just removing the flare put on by the charging die. I've read that factory crimping is not what I want, but don't really understand that. Does the factory crimp die that comes with the Lee 4 die pistol die set perform the taper crimp or does it do something like full resizing. Also, when performing bullet seating with this set, you don't crimp at that stage, correct? I'm going to start loading for my 45s and I'm a little confused on what I need for dies for my classic turret press.
Kablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:39   #2
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

It will do a taper crimp.
I use mine more for final sizing LSWC rounds with a tiny taper crimp.
It can be adjusted from no crimp to a stupid stout crimp easily but always final sizes the round

Last edited by Steel Head; 01-13-2013 at 18:40..
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:42   #3
DoctaGlockta

Never heard of it.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:43   #4
dkf

Pistol rounds are taper crimped with the FCD. The FCD also has a carbide sizing ring to knock down a any high spots. The FCD really is not needed. The standard 3 pc die set has a bullet seating/crimping die in one.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:01   #5
Kablam

It seemed that most folks were recommending crimping separately from seating, so I was looking at getting the 4 die Lee set.
Old 01-13-2013, 19:11   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablam View Post
It seemed that most folks were recommending crimping separately from seating, so I was looking at getting the 4 die Lee set.
You can sell the FCD. Also Lees regular taper crimp die is not expensive.
Old 01-13-2013, 19:32   #7
Kablam

I was going to get the kit from Kempf and that comes with the 4 die set and give the press to my son. I though that was the best deal to add another press. Are you recommending replacing the factory crimp die with a taper die? If that's better, I'm fine with that.
Old 01-13-2013, 20:19   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Yes. or sell the FCD.
Old 01-13-2013, 20:29   #9
Kablam

Tanks for the advice. I've never loaded pistol ammo, and I feel like I'm starting over. Never crimped my rifle rounds.
Old 01-13-2013, 20:42   #10
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Tanks for the advice. I've never loaded pistol ammo, and I feel like I'm starting over. Never crimped my rifle rounds.
I may have missed it, but what type of bullets are you reloading FMJ, copper Plated, lead, etc? Just asking.

What I have learned, here on this forum, the amount of crimp would be different for the bullet types; in that lead and jacketed bullets don't need much, whereas FMJ bullets need more. At least, that's the way I think it goes.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:46   #11
Kablam

Probably 230g FMJ RN to start with. I know that shoots well in my guns. All I've shot is 230g HP and FMJ factory stuff. Figured I'd start with what I know works.
Old 01-13-2013, 20:50   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
I may have missed it, but what type of bullets are you reloading FMJ, copper Plated, lead, etc? Just asking.

What I have learned, here on this forum, the amount of crimp would be different for the bullet types; in that lead and jacketed bullets don't need much, whereas FMJ bullets need more. At least, that's the way I think it goes.
You don't crimp pistol rounds. You simply remove the flare. You do not bend the case into the bullet at all in pistol rounds.
Old 01-13-2013, 21:11   #13
SARDG

Quote:
...What I have learned, here on this forum, the amount of crimp would be different for the bullet types; in that lead and jacketed bullets don't need much, whereas FMJ bullets need more. At least, that's the way I think it goes.
FMJ is Full Metal Jacket.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:21   #14
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
You don't crimp pistol rounds. You simply remove the flare. You do not bend the case into the bullet at all in pistol rounds.
However you do want to crimp revolver rounds, (just in case the "pistol" distinction was lost)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:33   #15
Kablam

Quote:
Sorry to belabor this. Just want to make sure I have this right. I know that all I want to do is remove the flare for 45acp. So, you're sayin the FCD included in the Lee 4 die set doesn't do that, and I should get a taper crimp die to remove the flare. Have I got that right? Again thanks for your time. Not sure what the other guys post was about.
Old 01-13-2013, 22:03   #16
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Correct, but the manufacturers call them crimp dies. So, I am using that terminology.
Old 01-13-2013, 22:05   #17
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Sorry to belabor this. Just want to make sure I have this right. I know that all I want to do is remove the flare for 45acp. So, you're sayin the FCD included in the Lee 4 die set doesn't do that, and I should get a taper crimp die to remove the flare. Have I got that right? Again thanks for your time. Not sure what the other guys post was about.
You should be good with the crimp die in the 4 die set. Set it up correctly and adjust it to suite you needs.
Old 01-13-2013, 22:08   #18
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
FMJ is Full Metal Jacket.
Sorry, I meant to say that plated bullets don't need as much crimp using the FCD. Where as FMJ pullets could likely need more.
Old 01-13-2013, 22:29   #19
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Correct, but the manufacturers call them crimp dies. So, I am using that terminology.
You said some need more. That is not true. They all need the same. Remove the flare. Your done.
Old 01-13-2013, 23:15   #20
ColoCG

Quote:
While the Taper crimp Die is all you need to make good reloads, the Lee FCD will work as long as it is adjusted to just remove the flare of the case. It does have a carbide ring to guarantee the overall diameter of the round will chamber. This is normally not really needed if your dies are adjusted correctly. If that is the case it shoudn't affect your loads. It can tend to swage the round if cast bullets which are usually a larger diameter are used. This may or may not affect your accuracy with the cast bullets depending on how much the bullet is reduced in size if any.

So while the FCD will work, it is not needed. But if that is what you have, I would use it, it shouldn't be a problem with FMJ bullets.

Last edited by ColoCG; 01-13-2013 at 23:16..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote